Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What Pop Concerts do you remember attending?

What Pop Concerts do you remember attending?

Old Mar 7th 2019, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134
Default Re: What Pop Concerts do you remember attending?

Mr Bean you mentioned Lonestar, is that the Lonestar from Cardiff in the mid 70s or Lonestar the recent country band. The former was one of my favorite bands back then the ended way to soon.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 9:27 pm
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
What do you expect when you look like a gangster? Especially when you have lulled them into a false sense of security with such a benign name?

LOL

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
Mr Bean you mentioned Lonestar, is that the Lonestar from Cardiff in the mid 70s or Lonestar the recent country band. The former was one of my favorite bands back then the ended way to soon.
It's the recent country band

Old Mar 7th 2019, 9:34 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot Simple Minds in ‘86, the night England were playing in the World Cup.

As you were.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
my uncle had a country place...before the motor law...down in his barn, my uncle preserved for me an old machine... (Red Barchetta)

Could be you DBD
Subdivisions
In the high school halls
In the shopping malls
Conform or be cast out
Subdivisions
In the basement bars
In the backs of cars
Be cool or be cast out
Any escape might help to smooth
The unattractive truth
But the suburbs have no charms to soothe
The restless dreams of youth
Drawn like moths, we drift into the city
The timeless old attraction
Cruising for the action
Lit up like a firefly
Just to feel the living night
Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight

I think this is more something that DBD can identify with.

Rush are Canada's John Cooper Clarke
Old Mar 8th 2019, 1:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged

I knew the nanny of the children of one of Rush. I drove her home a few times. Nannies and children are another world from being the world's thinnest man narrowed by the daily smack. His is a dark urban world, theirs the affluent inner 'burbs. That's why his work has wit and style and themes and theirs is Yes lite tonal poems which make Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Hare Hare seem an inspired comment on the human condition.

That particular lyric seems to be a schoolboy attempt at the style of the Talking Heads' The Big Country though, I suppose, any of Rush must be old enough to be David Byrne's dad.

Face it, if Foster and Jordan had heard Rush, Etta James would have had a huge hit with "I'd rather go deaf", Rush are only inflicted upon us by government regulation, they are the Lada of the music industry (and yes, I know they're rabid neo-cons).

Last edited by dbd33; Mar 8th 2019 at 1:40 am.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 1:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

On consideration, I think they might be Canada's James Blunt.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 6:23 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Subdivisions
In the high school halls
In the shopping malls
Conform or be cast out
Subdivisions
In the basement bars
In the backs of cars
Be cool or be cast out
Any escape might help to smooth
The unattractive truth
But the suburbs have no charms to soothe
The restless dreams of youth
Drawn like moths, we drift into the city
The timeless old attraction
Cruising for the action
Lit up like a firefly
Just to feel the living night
Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight

I think this is more something that DBD can identify with.

I think I stopped buying Rush around Subdivisions (or whatever was after Moving Pictures) so it's only that period I can recommend. No idea on John Cooper, but if he's anything like James Blunt, don't think so.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 7:12 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Rolling Stones, Leonard Cohen, Neil Diamond, Shirley Bassey, Pentangle, Don McLean, Stephan Grappeli, Steeleeye Span.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 8:06 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Rolling Stones, Leonard Cohen, Neil Diamond, Shirley Bassey, Pentangle, Don McLean, Stephan Grappeli, Steeleeye Span.
Pentangle ... that's a rarity !
Old Mar 8th 2019, 9:24 am
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
On consideration, I think they might be Canada's James Blunt.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 1:03 pm
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
James Blunt.
James Blunt
On the contrary that was one of the best shows I've sat through. He was awesome. Really surprised me.

Old Mar 8th 2019, 3:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
On the contrary that was one of the best shows I've sat through. He was awesome. Really surprised me.
He does seem to be witty and personally entertaining. However, as he admits, he's got rich from making some terrible records. Sample lyric:

My life is brilliantMy life is brilliant
My love is pure
I saw an angel
Of that I'm sure
She smiled at me on the subway
She was with another man
But I won't lose no sleep on that
'Cause I've got a planYou're beautiful
You're beautiful
You're beautiful, it's true
I saw your face in a crowded place
And I don't know what to do
'Cause I'll never be with youYes, she caught my eye
As we walked on by
She could see from my face that I was
Flyin' high
And I don't think that I'll see her again
But we shared a moment that will last till the endYou're beautiful
You're beautiful
You're beautiful, it's true
I saw your face in a crowded place
And I…

I don't know if Rush are also good blokes in person; it was the quality of their product that I was comparing to his.
Old Mar 8th 2019, 3:16 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
Actually, I don't mind James Blunt and am not sure why my earlier comment came out as it did.
Old Mar 10th 2019, 8:04 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

These days I find grey haired badger-badged Brian May a bit of geriatric, somehow.
How very much I agree...the Sainted Brian May quite gives me the pip these days...I don’t feel the same about a geriatric Jagger!

Old Mar 10th 2019, 8:28 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by MillieF
How very much I agree...the Sainted Brian May quite gives me the pip these days...I don’t feel the same about a geriatric Jagger!

Glad I'm not the only one thinking this. And you're right, Jagger no matter how old and wrinkly seems to sparkle so much more. Did you hear the song "Moves like Jagger" (Maroon Five) from a few years ago, you might like that one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.