Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What new Fall shows are you watching in Canada?

What new Fall shows are you watching in Canada?

Old Oct 23rd 2012, 2:05 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What new Fall shows are you watching in Canada?

Originally Posted by Steve_
Elementary seems to me to be a ripoff of House, it's very similar. The Neighbours is terrible. That's definitely up for cancellation.

What's that terrible show on ABC about the submarine? That's definitely going to get pulled.
I rather enjoyed Elementary's first couple of episodes. The PVR machine is sorted to record the rest of them. Not sure why you think it has anything to do with House though. Sure, the central character's a somewhat damaged individual, but since American sensibilities wouldn't cope with an opium-smoking addict, I thought making him a recovering rich-kid addict with Dr Watson as his parentally-imposed chaperone was a rather neat way of inserting the two of them into contemporary New York.

I watched most of the first couple of House series, but as with all these things, by season 3 it gets too soap-opera-y, descending into endless shenanigans in the private lives of the characters as the dramatic plots get weaker and weaker. I'm sure Elementary will go the same way eventually, but for now I'll carry on watching.

I quite liked the first few episodes of last season's Once Upon A Time. However, I do prefer the goodies to win a couple of battles along the way, and the evil queen was just a bit too far ahead of the good guys to be sufficiently brainless entertainment, and too fantastical to be really engaging. I watched the catch-up episode and this season's opener to see if there was a change in flavour over the break... not sure whether I'll bother persevering.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GC44
New season of Boardwalk Empire, the characters just get better. New Downton Abbey and OH is watching Call The Midwife which I must admit is pretty good.

Call The Midwife - have they made the new season???
Old Oct 25th 2012, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beautiful050278
Call The Midwife - have they made the new season???
Probably not, we are watching it on PBS. Its new to us though .
Old Oct 25th 2012, 2:57 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Dragoons Den and X fucture.

Also been watching Benidorm on Youtube. That show so reminds me of Brits at their worst. So funny :@) Wonder if it would make it to Canada TV ?
Old Oct 25th 2012, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

Law & Order UK (on showcase)
Call the Midwife
Upstairs Downstairs
The Good Wife
Person of Intterest
Fringe
Castle
Big bang theory
The Middle
Modern Family

I'm so looking forward for Downton Abbey starting in January

Gosh I watch a lot of Tv
Old Oct 25th 2012, 3:18 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm watching hockey. Or, rather, I'm not and won't be.

Other than that, it's PBS, Corrie and relentless bloody Veronique Cloutier.

It's going to be a long winter.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I'm watching hockey. Or, rather, I'm not and won't be.

Other than that, it's PBS, Corrie and relentless bloody Veronique Cloutier.

It's going to be a long winter.
I just had a look at who Veronique Cloutier is (all part of that two solitudes thing on either side of the Ottawa River) and she is rather easy on the eye...not sure about anything else about her.

Shows I'm watching include the Premier League, Anthony Bourdain, Scam City and various documentaries and my guilty pleasures of Corrie and The Amazing Race.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 11:34 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I just had a look at who Veronique Cloutier is (all part of that two solitudes thing on either side of the Ottawa River) and she is rather easy on the eye...not sure about anything else about her.

Shows I'm watching include the Premier League, Anthony Bourdain, Scam City and various documentaries and my guilty pleasures of Corrie and The Amazing Race.
She's one of the best known people on Quebec TV, particularly in game shows and chat shows. Odds are, if she's not presenting it, she's one of the guests.

Her early career was largely because of daddy, a high-flying producer. His career waned a bit in 2004, when he got banged-up for being something of a Jimmy.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Dragoons Den and X fucture.

Also been watching Benidorm on Youtube. That show so reminds me of Brits at their worst. So funny :@) Wonder if it would make it to Canada TV ?
No, the locals wouldn't know if it was a comedy or a documentary! What the frig
Old Oct 26th 2012, 2:11 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Not sure why you think it has anything to do with House though.
Are you kidding? It's basically the same show except it's set in a police setting rather than a hospital setting. Quirky Brit who investigates things and has various hang ups followed around by long suffering assistants (watson and the police detectives) who are forced to put up with him and then at the end of each show he comes to some sort of weird conclusion about what has been going on.

Total ripoff.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 5:48 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Are you kidding? It's basically the same show except it's set in a police setting rather than a hospital setting. Quirky Brit who investigates things and has various hang ups followed around by long suffering assistants (watson and the police detectives) who are forced to put up with him and then at the end of each show he comes to some sort of weird conclusion about what has been going on.

Total ripoff.
Well, yes, but if that's your burden of proof then every quirky investigator of any flavour is a rip off of all the others. Columbo, Quincy, Magnum, any of the CSI people leaping to conclusions, that guy in the Navy police one with the punk lab assistant (and a quirky British sidekick - oh, the irony...), hell, even Morse or good old Eddie Shoestring would fall into that category. It's been done many times before House in a medical setting too (though more often in a path lab or morgue than in a diagnostic department). Are they all actually rip-offs of Arthur Conan Doyle's original Holmes?

Your Brit thing is a red herring, of course - House was not a Brit, perhaps you're confusing the character with the actor. Hugh Laurie's accent apparently fooled many Americans to the extent that they were surprised by his normal speaking voice when he appeared on talk shows.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 6:22 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

They have Trisha on American daytime telly now. My PVR is set to record.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
They have Trisha on American daytime telly now. My PVR is set to record.
I thought I was dreaming the other day when In saw her there. Looking all american with her white teeth
Old Oct 29th 2012, 6:50 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Are they all actually rip-offs of Arthur Conan Doyle's original Holmes?
Yes, I would say they are. If you follow them back to the source. But with Elementary the timing is just a bit too suspicious given the cancellation of House.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Criminal Minds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.