Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What Miserable Buggers We Are In Blightey?

What Miserable Buggers We Are In Blightey?

Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute
Default What Miserable Buggers We Are In Blightey?

I'm sure if the media tell us this for long enough they will make us all believe it!

Maybe it's all part of Tony Blair's master plan to control us all along with Gordon Brown?

**Crafty laughs loudly in a manner similar to Dr. Evil**

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6562463.stm

Where do they get their data from???

Apparently Denmark is the most happiest place to live! Maybe I should go there instead?

Last edited by Craftybanshee; Apr 17th 2007 at 11:18 am. Reason: To add more!
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Miserable Buggers We Are In Blightey?

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
I'm sure if the media tell us this for long enough they will make us all believe it!

Maybe it's all part of Tony Blair's master plan to control us all along with Gordon Brown?

**Crafty laughs loudly in a manner similar to Dr. Evil**

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6562463.stm

Where do they get their data from???

Apparently Denmark is the most happiest place to live! Maybe I should go there instead?
What interests me is that all of these comparative analyses are always limited to EU-wide nations for the purposes of re-orienting Britons to consider themselves European.

I'd like to know how happy we are compared to more similar cultures like Australia, Canada, NZ and even the USA.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Crafty, interesting reading

I would have thought Holland would be 1st & not 5th with their happy 'coffee shops'

And as for the sunshine supposedly making people happy - the bottom 3 are very warm & sunny countries
Old Apr 17th 2007, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arris
Cheers Crafty, interesting reading

I would have thought Holland would be 1st & not 5th with their happy 'coffee shops'

And as for the sunshine supposedly making people happy - the bottom 3 are very warm & sunny countries
It's not about weather though. It seems to be about faith in the system, etc. Portugal, Greece and Italy are famously corrupt. The British system is respected mush less lately, and this is reflected in this poll I suppose.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
It's not about weather though. It seems to be about faith in the system, etc. Portugal, Greece and Italy are famously corrupt. The British system is respected mush less lately, and this is reflected in this poll I suppose.
I know it's not about the weather

It was just something I noticed - that's all ok
Old Apr 17th 2007, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

It's not surprising we are all miserable, we want to leave but can't.
Once we have battled with the 2, 3 or 4 year wait courtesy of CIC we then can't sell our houses and all the time we are waiting the exchange rate goes from good to bad and the British weather suddenly surprises us all and makes us wonder whether we should be staying in Costa del sussex after all.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

betterskierthanthewife will become famous soon enoughbetterskierthanthewife will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tableland
I think there is a 'feel bad factor' in the England that contrasts with the 'feel good factor' of the late 90s. the main factors in this are mistrust of the Govt (taking the country to war and the honours scandal), the increasing cost of housing, and the continued dismal performance of our 'star' footballers. Non football fans might think that a bit trivial but an England win in the world cup last year would have done wonders for the national mood.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 4:37 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by betterskierthanthewife
I think there is a 'feel bad factor' in the England that contrasts with the 'feel good factor' of the late 90s. the main factors in this are mistrust of the Govt (taking the country to war and the honours scandal), the increasing cost of housing, and the continued dismal performance of our 'star' footballers. Non football fans might think that a bit trivial but an England win in the world cup last year would have done wonders for the national mood.
Totally agree, national pride and all that, football is an important part of British culture.....

OH and I were on holiday in France at the time of the end of the World Cup, (my sister and I even had plans to travel to Germany if England got through to final, OH not a footaball fan) we sat in a lovely market square, watched England win one, then we watched England lose one, we watched the final as well, even took the children as the entire atmosphere was very different from you would get in the UK. (I would never have taken the children in the UK).

When France lost there were a lot of shocked faces, but no violence, although I have to admit, we did make a sharp exit at that time, partly because the french families were, and it seemed sensible....

We only saw one drunk person, who appeared to be the towns regular drunk, everyone appeared to know him........

We noticed that although peple were drinking, not at that same volume as here, most were drinking coffee!!!

Charlie
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

This made me laugh as my Danish friend in Scotland told me that the Danes are the most boring conformist race on the planet - she said living there made here suicidal!
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:55 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TrishB
This made me laugh as my Danish friend in Scotland told me that the Danes are the most boring conformist race on the planet - she said living there made here suicidal!

I'd have to agree with this based on the only two Danes that I know.

They take dull and boring to a whole new level.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishB

That's interesting 'cos I used to work with a Danish lady and she said the Swedes were the most boring people on the planet. Perhaps as the two countries are next to each other, they are boring neighbours?

Should I head to Finland then? Any tales to share about the fins?
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:07 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

That's interesting 'cos I used to work with a Danish lady and she said the Swedes were the most boring people on the planet. Perhaps as the two countries are next to each other, they are boring neighbours?

Should I head to Finland then? Any tales to share about the fins?
fish are cr*p without them....
Old Apr 18th 2007, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MCrocker
fish are cr*p without them....

I guess you call them Bob?