Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What happened to this place?

What happened to this place?

Old Aug 28th 2023, 8:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happened to this place?

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
18 months ago, I started a thread on the Australian Barbie forum called "Why so few shrimps on the barbie?" - seeking a reason for the low turnout there. Sadly, my eventual conclusion ran afoul of BE's Rule 15, and was not published. However, the thread was re-named, and has become reasonably active again as a place to discuss the wide variety of topics that arise at weekend barbecues throughout Australia.

Nevertheless, this Maple Leaf forum is a hive of activity, compared with its Australian cousin!
You know the rules pretty well, you've been given a lot of leeway with them over the years. So it can't have been a surprise that that post was deleted. IIRC, with the Barbie there were specific members that drove others away with their endless squabbling and antagonistic views. They were (I think) got rid of in the end (ironically, amid many complaints about lack of mod action - we really can't win whatever we do), but by then it was too late and a lot of the regulars had been lost. It's been quiet since then.

Bottom line is that BE is a discussion forum, and those are dying out in the modern age. BE is kept afloat by newbies that pop by to ask questions about immigration or life in another country, and by the regulars that use BE as their 'pub' and to chat to their friends or have an interesting discussion whilst propping up the bar. If people are interested in what you're discussing then they'll reply. If you don't get responses, then it's a discussion nobody else is interested in and there's no point in endlessly resurrecting it. Plus that's another site rule broken if you do 'bump' threads…….

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 29th 2023 at 1:30 am.
Old Aug 29th 2023, 7:27 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You know the rules pretty well, you've been given a lot of leeway with them over the years. So it can't have been a surprise that that post was deleted. IIRC, with the Barbie there were specific members that drove others away with their endless squabbling and antagonistic views. They were (I think) got rid of in the end (ironically, amid many complaints about lack of mod action - we really can't win whatever we do), but by then it was too late and a lot of the regulars had been lost. It's been quiet since then.

Bottom line is that BE is a discussion forum, and those are dying out in the modern age. BE is kept afloat by newbies that pop by to ask questions about immigration or life in another country, and by the regulars that use BE as their 'pub' and to chat to their friends or have an interesting discussion whilst propping up the bar. If people are interested in what you're discussing then they'll reply. If you don't get responses, then it's a discussion nobody else is interested in and there's no point in endlessly resurrecting it. Plus that's another site rule broken if you do 'bump' threads…….
Exactly how I see BE. Cheers.
Old Aug 29th 2023, 11:05 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Old Aug 29th 2023, 11:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Mine’s a G&T. Cheers!
Old Aug 29th 2023, 11:29 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That is a perfectly reasonable explanation but things had dropped off considerably some time before covid.
I used to be a regular in the Canada section, only ever venturing anywhere else to the lab.

For some time it was too busy to keep up. I could compose a reply and by the time I posted there might be half a dozen new posts on that thread just in the time I was typing. It was hard to keep up.

But 2 or 3 years before covid, things got so quiet that I wandered off to the lounge and tio and became a regular there.
Ditto.
Old Aug 29th 2023, 11:31 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

18 months ago, I started a thread on the Australian Barbie forum called "Why so few shrimps on the barbie?" - seeking a reason for the low turnout there. Sadly, my eventual conclusion ran afoul of BE's Rule 15, and was not published. However, the thread was re-named, and has become reasonably active again as a place to discuss the wide variety of topics that arise at weekend barbecues throughout Australia.

Nevertheless, this Maple Leaf forum is a hive of activity, compared with its Australian cousin!
What's the new thread called, I was thinking of searing some shrimps on the Aussie barbie ? I am on the orignal thread.
Old Aug 29th 2023, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Points taken. I have indeed been "bumping" my threads. In a good cause, always, and influenced by their apparent readership, but it's hard work sometimes, and I will stop doing it. (I don't actually set out to break The Rules, you know.)

The Rest of the World forum was dead in the water for a long while before I tried to invigorate it with the "Back in the Day" thread, but it's probably not worth the effort. I did abandon five other threads there, so I have no problem letting another one die. I killed nine threads on the Cayman Islands forum, back in the day...

I'd like to keep my Barbie thread going, if that's okay with you. It's the only thread with staying power, in that forum.

My Maple Leaf thread ... Well, as one of the regulars grumbled the other day, there's not much about Canada in it! It's quite popular (judging by the reported readership), but I can drop that one too, if you want. Or at least cut back on off-road topics like offshore tax-havens! Let me know, please.
Old Aug 30th 2023, 12:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Points taken. I have indeed been "bumping" my threads. In a good cause, always, and influenced by their apparent readership, but it's hard work sometimes, and I will stop doing it. (I don't actually set out to break The Rules, you know.)

The Rest of the World forum was dead in the water for a long while before I tried to invigorate it with the "Back in the Day" thread, but it's probably not worth the effort. I did abandon five other threads there, so I have no problem letting another one die. I killed nine threads on the Cayman Islands forum, back in the day...

I'd like to keep my Barbie thread going, if that's okay with you. It's the only thread with staying power, in that forum.

My Maple Leaf thread ... Well, as one of the regulars grumbled the other day, there's not much about Canada in it! It's quite popular (judging by the reported readership), but I can drop that one too, if you want. Or at least cut back on off-road topics like offshore tax-havens! Let me know, please.
If a thread is generating discussion then there is no need to drop it at all. It's only the threads that nobody ever responds to that shouldn't be 'bumped' repeatedly (ignore the 'viewed' stats, as they are misleading). Often threads turn in to something else from the original intended purpose, but that can be a good thing, as evidenced by the thread in the Barbie which is generating some interesting discussions. Off topic isn't a problem at all in general discussion threads.
Old Aug 30th 2023, 8:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If a thread is generating discussion then there is no need to drop it at all. It's only the threads that nobody ever responds to that shouldn't be 'bumped' repeatedly (ignore the 'viewed' stats, as they are misleading). Often threads turn in to something else from the original intended purpose, but that can be a good thing, as evidenced by the thread in the Barbie which is generating some interesting discussions. Off topic isn't a problem at all in general discussion threads.
I don't think there's any need to worry about bumping it in case it falls out of sight - the Barbie is so dead these days that threads on the front page go as far back as last December so even if its not posted on for a couple of months its still ging to be high on the list
Old Nov 11th 2023, 7:07 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I drifted away and the rest is history!
Old Feb 27th 2024, 7:48 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

And I broke this thread too...

🥲
Old Feb 27th 2024, 8:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
And I broke this thread too...

🥲
Give it time, there's a slower pace now.
Old Feb 28th 2024, 5:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Give it time, there's a slower pace now.

Old Feb 29th 2024, 7:19 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

This is Canada, remember. The Maple Leaf is quiet these days because everyone has gone over to MySpace.
Old Feb 29th 2024, 11:49 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

This is Canada, remember. The Maple Leaf is quiet these days because everyone has gone over to MySpace.
I had to google that.
Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nine Inch Nails, Slipknot and KISS
It's always the quiet, polite, ones that surprise you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.