Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What happened to this place?

What happened to this place?

Old Aug 21st 2023, 9:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What happened to this place?

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
19 years or so after moving here, I find the urge to share advice and experience is less than it was. Also, my experiences from an immigration perspective are rather out of date these days.

I guess also, as the number of posters I used to interact with diminishes and/or their frequency of posting, there's less incentive to post. Bit of a shame as some of the virtual friendships made here were important to me & I miss some posters wit and erudition. Facebook holds less of an appeal as of course, one has to be the real person rather than hiding behind a handle!
Facebook groups now seem to allow people to post as "Änonymous Member" - in one group I'm in this is now just daft, today we had 20 different questions, all about migrating to Australia, and all by "Änonymous Member" - no clues as to whether they are all the same member or all individuals, and it makes it even harder to be correct with info, as it removes something we always used on here, there is no history, no back story..
Old Aug 21st 2023, 10:12 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Only so many topics.

I think in around 2012 I felt like we were seeing the same topics recycled here.

People only have so many views.

Old Aug 22nd 2023, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Russells4ever
... I like BE because it is such a diverse community that tolerates free speech.
34 years ago, the founder of a family company here in Cayman - a man of very strong opinions and manners - hired me as a consultant. He wanted someone who would not be afraid to challenge him, and his children were only in their early twenties. He embraced the axiom that says "if you have to have a yes-man around, one of you is redundant."

One can't help but notice, that some of the posts in this thread - while absolutely polite and uncritical - seem to suggest the possibility - however remote - of a surfeit of yes-men in BE's top-floor offices. However unlikely, that might conceivably answer the question of "what happened to this place?".
Old Aug 22nd 2023, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit disappointed, I'm still waiting for someone to give me my opinion on this topic.
Old Aug 22nd 2023, 8:45 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
........... of a surfeit of yes-men in BE's top-floor offices. ........
If you are aiming that comment at IB, that may be true but I doubt it - they don't deal with content much.

As for moderators - majority yes-women
Old Aug 22nd 2023, 11:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the critical error in the management of the Canada forum was banning ultrarunner. Yes, his, possibly her, content was stolen and/or lies and his personal claims were ludicrous, who actually likes running? He, or she, was, however, entertaining and a generator of a great volume of controversial posts.
Old Aug 24th 2023, 3:06 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think the critical error in the management of the Canada forum was banning ultrarunner. Yes, his, possibly her, content was stolen and/or lies and his personal claims were ludicrous, who actually likes running? He, or she, was, however, entertaining and a generator of a great volume of controversial posts.
Novocastrin moved on as well.

JSmith gone who was a big contributor.

It was a good run. The look and feel has barely changed since my first ever post.
Old Aug 24th 2023, 7:39 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I do hope JSmith is alright. He was a fragile soul of late.
Old Aug 24th 2023, 12:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I do hope JSmith is alright. He was a fragile soul of late.
He is.
I remain in touch.
Old Aug 24th 2023, 12:12 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Novocastrin moved on as well.

JSmith gone who was a big contributor.

It was a good run. The look and feel has barely changed since my first ever post.
And, ironically, Oink
Old Aug 24th 2023, 12:59 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
He is.
I remain in touch.
I am very glad to hear that, thank you.
Old Aug 24th 2023, 1:04 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I am very glad to hear that, thank you.
+1
Old Aug 24th 2023, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

The migration to facebook groups and discord has taken it's toll on "old web" style forums like this for sure. It is incredible how centralized the web is in comparison to how it used to be.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
He is.
I remain in touch.
I'm glad to hear JSmith is ok as well. Always felt for him as he was such a victim of BCs terrible housing policies and lack of social supports.

Old Aug 24th 2023, 5:53 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

I remember at one point we discussed how the site had gone from niche to main stream. That was probably a decade ago.

We'll see how long it goes. The owners must surely check the data.

I guess it is still profitable.
Old Aug 24th 2023, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I remember at one point we discussed how the site had gone from niche to main stream. That was probably a decade ago.

We'll see how long it goes. The owners must surely check the data.

I guess it is still profitable.
How do they make their money? (I've no idea!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.