Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What gets your goat on BE?

What gets your goat on BE?

Old Aug 24th 2009, 9:23 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What gets your goat on BE?

Loads.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 9:35 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
Loads.
Thanks for sharing..
Old Aug 24th 2009, 9:37 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly, my goat left home some time ago, driven away by the sheer boredom of never being 'got' by anything.

Perhaps that's why I can't keep away from the forum.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have a goat, if I did I don't think I would like it to have been got.

Personally, me, for myself, and I, I am disappointed by the lack of complaints about the lack of coloured loo roll in Canada. And pretty Kleenex. I'm not sure where I stand on kitchen roll.

I'm pretty certain that thanks should be public and profuse. Well, they should happen, in public, not behind closed karmic doors.

If one objects to other ones not using the search facility, does one also object in real life? "We had this conversation at dinner last Thursday, may I refer you to the minutes of that repast"

And coherant. Posts should be coherant, have a point, and not ramble on.

and on

and

on

ad

infinitum
Old Aug 24th 2009, 10:11 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Immigrants or people wanting to immigrate
Old Aug 24th 2009, 10:12 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

And don't get me started on fence sitters!
Old Aug 24th 2009, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all

...Like every discussion forum.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 12:08 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by James Martindale
And don't get me started on fence sitters!
Give them a push, see which way they wobble
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Stevo
BE Members who feel the need to answer a genuine thread with a stupid comment about paragraphing (see mouldy problem thread!!)
I bloody despair!!!

Although I don't believe that I'd be critical of anyone's style of writing I do think a post that has absolutely no paragraphs and is just one large piece of text lets the author down because it becomes so hard to read and it's easy to miss parts of what's been typed. I find myself trying to read it but I guess as reluctant as I am to admit it my middle-aged eyes just find it too hard.

Of course I'm a very occasional poster so generally not a lot of good to the BE community but typing a few thoughts out with paragraphs is just good practise to make it easier on the eyes and readers will be able to make more sense of it without missing out maybe whole sentences.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 5:30 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
Although I don't believe that I'd be critical of anyone's style of writing I do think a post that has absolutely no paragraphs and is just one large piece of text lets the author down because it becomes so hard to read and it's easy to miss parts of what's been typed. I find myself trying to read it but I guess as reluctant as I am to admit it my middle-aged eyes just find it too hard.

Of course I'm a very occasional poster so generally not a lot of good to the BE community but typing a few thoughts out with paragraphs is just good practise to make it easier on the eyes and readers will be able to make more sense of it without missing out maybe whole sentences.
And sometimes peeps just want to get down what the problem is cos they are worried bout the problem,NOT what it looks like on a page!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

People who forget that mods are just normal posters with a few added extra features, and believe it's perfectly alright to abuse them publicly for no reason.

People who ask questions but when given the answer reply that that wasn't the answer they were looking for. WTF is that all about

People who get arsey on behalf of someone else who apparently couldn't care less.

People who get arsey when someone suggests that using Advanced Search will bring up a wealth of knowledge.

People who don't accept someone else's point of view or sense of humour and who take offence at the slightest thing and then spit the dummy saying everyone's bullying them and they're off.

Best get back to Australia now...........

People who start a thread just to say they've spat the dummy and are off. If you're going just pigging well go will you? Especially when you look daft because you're back a week later

People who jump into a thread about x, to ask about y. Start your own thread.

Sorry, the above makes me look slightly aggressive and grumpy. I'm not, honest Been about for over 5 years and those are the only things that come and wipe the smile off my face.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

People who arent British that seem to flock here waiting to pounce on anyone who is British because they think that we're all out to get them - not Aussies of course???!!!???!!!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 12:04 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Cliques.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 12:52 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Meaning: Make you annoyed or angry.
Origin:The dictionary definition of goat is 'a ruminant quadruped of the genus Capra'. What's that got to do with being angry? Given the meaning of 'get your goat', we might expect to find goat as a slang term meaning anger or annoyance. That meaning is recorded in the US book Life in Sing Sing, 1904, which goat is given as a slang term for anger. The phrase originated in the US and the first entry in print that I can find comes from a fanciful story about a burst water pipe that was printed in the US newspaper The Stevens Point Daily Journal, May 1909:"Wouldn't that get your goat? We'd been transferring the same water all night from the tub to the bowl and back again." The expression took a few years to cross the Atlantic. The first non-US citation isn't found until 1924 in the English author John Galsworthy's story White Monkey, and even there it is clearly seen as a recent innovation: "That had got the chairman's goat! - Got his goat? What expressions they used nowadays!" The following year, The Times printed a piece in memory of the then recently deceased Friedrich Baedeker. This included a side-swipe at American tourists and uses the phrase as a typical piece of Americana: "... goggled Americans whispering aloud, 'Wa-al Sadie, these durned three star things get my goat'!" A commonly repeated story which purports to explain the phrase's origin is that goats were placed with racehorses to keep them calm. When ne'er-do-wells who wanted the horse to race badly removed it, i.e. they 'got someone's goat', the horse became unsettled and ran badly. That's just the sort of tale that gets the folk etymology juices running. Let's just say that there's no evidence to support that story.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:12 pm
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geo4
Meaning: Make you annoyed or angry.
Origin:The dictionary definition of goat is 'a ruminant quadruped of the genus Capra'. What's that got to do with being angry? Given the meaning of 'get your goat', we might expect to find goat as a slang term meaning anger or annoyance. That meaning is recorded in the US book Life in Sing Sing, 1904, which goat is given as a slang term for anger. The phrase originated in the US and the first entry in print that I can find comes from a fanciful story about a burst water pipe that was printed in the US newspaper The Stevens Point Daily Journal, May 1909:"Wouldn't that get your goat? We'd been transferring the same water all night from the tub to the bowl and back again." The expression took a few years to cross the Atlantic. The first non-US citation isn't found until 1924 in the English author John Galsworthy's story White Monkey, and even there it is clearly seen as a recent innovation: "That had got the chairman's goat! - Got his goat? What expressions they used nowadays!" The following year, The Times printed a piece in memory of the then recently deceased Friedrich Baedeker. This included a side-swipe at American tourists and uses the phrase as a typical piece of Americana: "... goggled Americans whispering aloud, 'Wa-al Sadie, these durned three star things get my goat'!" A commonly repeated story which purports to explain the phrase's origin is that goats were placed with racehorses to keep them calm. When ne'er-do-wells who wanted the horse to race badly removed it, i.e. they 'got someone's goat', the horse became unsettled and ran badly. That's just the sort of tale that gets the folk etymology juices running. Let's just say that there's no evidence to support that story.
You've made my head hurt!

I bloody hate goats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.