British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   What gets your goat on BE? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/what-gets-your-goat-627288/)

Aviator Aug 24th 2009 4:28 pm

What gets your goat on BE?

Two of mine:
  • Posters asking broad questions without doing any research of their own. The search function on BE, the Wiki and Google can offer a wealth of information. Then ask some specific questions.
  • Not acknowledging the effort people put in to offer an answer - Even if you don't like the answer, at least someone took the trouble to offer suggestions. Thank you costs nothing and can help solicit future responses.

Butch Cassidy Aug 24th 2009 4:46 pm

Re: What gets your goat on BE?

Originally Posted by The Aviator (Post 7871456)
Two of mine:
  • Posters asking broad questions without doing any research of their own. The search function on BE, the Wiki and Google can offer a wealth of information. Then ask some specific questions.
  • Not acknowledging the effort people put in to offer an answer - Even if you don't like the answer, at least someone took the trouble to offer suggestions. Thank you costs nothing and can help solicit future responses.

Agreed

plus

1) People answering threads BEFORE reading to the end
2) Posters claiming others answers as their own

iaink Aug 24th 2009 5:06 pm

Potentially antagonistic posts started by people who should know better in order to air their grievances

Long time posters who have forgotten what it was like to be new on forums like this

Newbies who dont stop to read the "READ ME" stickies that would answer many of their questions and steer them clear of many grouchy old timers....

That's probably enough for now...:unsure:

Bill_S Aug 24th 2009 5:14 pm

Whinging about the lack of British-style foo in far-off foreign lands (for values of foo including bacon, tea, bread, sausages, double cream...). You've moved to a new country - time to embrace your new foo.

purple80 Aug 24th 2009 5:54 pm

Two of mine:

Agreed

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 7871520)
Potentially antagonistic posts started by people who should know better in order to air their grievances

Long time posters who have forgotten what it was like to be new on forums like this

Newbies who dont stop to read the "READ ME" stickies that would answer many of their questions and steer them clear of many grouchy old timers....

That's probably enough for now...:unsure:

Absolutely

People who forget that this is a forum for people whose common link is that they are or are hoping to are expats and not members of MENSA.

The fact that there is so much lack of patience for new members, the older ones appear to have forgotten what it is like to be new.

How spiteful this place gets at times despite the fact that this forum is allegedly for adults.

Despite all of that I still look in most days.............

[Grabs coat and makes a run for the door]

Alan2005 Aug 24th 2009 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 7871531)
Whinging about the lack of British-style foo in far-off foreign lands (for values of foo including bacon, tea, bread, sausages, double cream...). You've moved to a new country - time to embrace your new foo.

Whinging about people whinging about the lack of British-style food.

Butch Cassidy Aug 24th 2009 6:04 pm

complaining about people whinging about people whinging about the lack of British-style food

oh

and people who would rather complain to the mods than 'confront' people in open forum

The4BellsLondon Aug 24th 2009 6:06 pm

Nothing - I think it is a fantastically friendly place! :p

Alan2005 Aug 24th 2009 6:08 pm

Two of mine:

Sincerest thank you for your thought provoking email. I made a couple of replies without reading to the end as my time is far too important for that. Actually whilst you are here can you put up a summary of the pros and cons of Vancouver vs Toronto.

Joe_Sleepy Aug 24th 2009 6:09 pm

Chippy & arrogant posts by people who wouldn't dream of speaking to someone face to face in that manner.

Members who think their membership number and/or post count entitles them to belittle others that they deem less entitled.

Bald faced spite excused as "British Humour".

Members who use the open forum as a hobby/social life & pride themselves on never offering constructive advice (surely the whole point of the forum).

Members who's lives are so devoid of importance or value that they feel a sense of heroic achievement when bating unpaid mods & newbies on a forum set up to help others engaged in a fraught & frightening process.

The grammar pedants who regularly post misspelled, grammatically nonsensical garbage & yet feel obligated to routinely criticise others...

Alan2005 Aug 24th 2009 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Joe_Sleepy (Post 7871607)
Chippy & arrogant posts by people who wouldn't dream of speaking to someone face to face in that manner.

Members who think their membership number and/or post count entitles them to belittle others that they deem less entitled.

Bald faced spite excused as "British Humour".

Members who use the open forum as a hobby/social life & pride themselves on never offering constructive advice (surely the whole point of the forum).

Members who's lives are so devoid of importance or value that they feel a sense of heroic achievement when bating unpaid mods & newbies on a forum set up to help others engaged in a fraught & frightening process.

The grammar pedants who regularly post misspelled, grammatically nonsensical garbage & yet feel obligated to routinely criticise others...

Crikey - A bitter noob

The4BellsLondon Aug 24th 2009 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 7871615)
Crikey - A bitter noob

pmsl!!
I type on here as i would speak to any one . . .those coming out in van on the 8th will no doubt find that out!

Butch Cassidy Aug 24th 2009 6:14 pm

Crikey - A bitter noob

Actually I always find his posts highly amusing and thought provoking.

Alan2005 Aug 24th 2009 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 7871624)
Actually I always find his posts highly amusing and thought provoking.

I hope you thanked him.

Joe_Sleepy Aug 24th 2009 6:19 pm

Crikey - A bitter noob

Touché