Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What do YOU do to call international cheaply?

What do YOU do to call international cheaply?

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice
Default Re: What do YOU do to call international cheaply?

I wouldn't move to VoIP completely as in case of blackout you are out of luck. We use Skype and thought we may use "normal" Bell phone for backup (had DSL off once). But when our first Bell bill came, it was a total shock. I have no idea how can they compete with others. The rates seem to be designed to catch those who don't know about them and try, until their bill comes - like it was in my case. When checking the rates, I looked at wrong page and didn't expect to be hit so badly.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

I love my skype....;-)
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
Another happy Shaw digital customer. 4c a minute at any time and the call quality is rock solid. Don't rack up enough call time to make the free minutes package worthwhile.

I thought with Shaw digital you received 1000 minutes per month free? Are you saying that you don't or that you use them and then go on to 4c a minute. Your post appears contradictory to me
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 10:07 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I thought with Shaw digital you received 1000 minutes per month free? Are you saying that you don't or that you use them and then go on to 4c a minute. Your post appears contradictory to me
You choose to pay more ($55 per month) and get 1,000 free minutes or pay much less ($29.95 per month) and pay 4 cents a minute for long distance.

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsSer...ne/Default.htm

We pay the 4 cents per minute as we don't make enough long distance calls to make the 1,000 minute plan worthwhile.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You choose to pay more ($55 per month) and get 1,000 free minutes or pay much less ($29.95 per month) and pay 4 cents a minute for long distance.

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsSer...ne/Default.htm

We pay the 4 cents per minute as we don't make enough long distance calls to make the 1,000 minute plan worthwhile.
Ah - thanks Steve. I didn't know there were two rates. I thought it was "full" digital or nowt
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 6:42 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Settlers_Unlimited
I wouldn't move to VoIP completely as in case of blackout you are out of luck.
Who would you ring anyway? Do you not have a mobile?
Old Dec 24th 2008, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

Originally Posted by G77
Who would you ring anyway? Do you not have a mobile?
Landline doesn't need electricity. Normally. Of course, the switchboard does, but they would have a generator. Mobile does need it too. And several years ago, I had my power cut off because of misunderstanding.

Have you ever noticed that those days each VoIP ad has smallprint saying that it doesn't provide 911 emergency service as reliably as landline? They do it after last year, some guys with VoIP moved and forgot to let the phone company know their new address and got into trouble when ambulance arrived at their old address (in a different province). I don't say of course that those guys were extremely smart...
Old Dec 24th 2008, 12:29 am
Just Joined

thedisappeared is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard that Canada has the lowest mobile usage of the western world, around 60%. Not surprising when you see how Canadians get shafted with all sorts of additional system access fees, long distance charges, incoming text charges. It seems to be similar for fixed line too. I find it hard to believe people still tolerate paying a premium for Canadian long distance. It costs the companies peanuts. Oh Rip off Canada, land of the monopoly.

Anyway back to subject, one other pre-pay system which I use is www.rebtel.com this gives you a local number for each person you want to call so after you register the phones you want to call from it just maps the number through to your destination. Calls in Canada are currently 1cpm, to UK 1.6cpm. If your caller calls you back then you both just pay the price of the local call which is 'free' in most cases in Canada.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 2:33 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Settlers_Unlimited
Landline doesn't need electricity. Normally. Of course, the switchboard does, but they would have a generator. Mobile does need it too. And several years ago, I had my power cut off because of misunderstanding.

Have you ever noticed that those days each VoIP ad has smallprint saying that it doesn't provide 911 emergency service as reliably as landline? They do it after last year, some guys with VoIP moved and forgot to let the phone company know their new address and got into trouble when ambulance arrived at their old address (in a different province). I don't say of course that those guys were extremely smart...
I understand that landline doesn't need electricity - but still, how's that help in a blackout? Call the electricity company to tell them? Chances are they'd already know I'd think...

The 911 thing is user error - was a tragic incident, but there was a number of errors on their behalf that added to the situation.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 2:54 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steph Golder
SKYPE!! If your friends and family have it then its FREEEEEEE

But you can get skype credit, and that's pretty cheap. I think about 0.4p a minute to a land line (I set my account up in the uk so it's in £ not $!) Mobiles are slightly more.....about 14p a minute.

We don't have a land line, so skype is all I use to call home.

Steph x
We use SKYPE like she said it's FREE
Old Dec 24th 2008, 7:11 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

We use Telus and get 1000 international minutes, unlimited North America our land line and high speed for $91 a month.

An alternative is call collect and let them pay the bill!
Old Dec 25th 2008, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

We don't "tolerate" the high cellular costs -- its the only choice we have. Mind you I did discover that Sasktel allow you to text the UK for nothing - that is if you pay $10 a month for unlimited texts - and you can receive and send texts to anywhere in the world for $10 a month.

Mind you, it doesnt do us a heck of a lot of good if we take the phone to England because Sasktel have CDMA phones and they don't work in England and I can't find a UK mobile company that offers unlimited international texting. This is going to hamper my granddaughter's communications with her friends while in the UK because she sends thousands of texts back and forth every day!!
Old Dec 26th 2008, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

walkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to behold

we use Goldline with Cogeco, its in with our bundle of internet Digital HD TV and normal phone , we paid $30 in Sept. and we still have $5 left and we mus call the uk everyother day!, we also love MSN instant messenger, and just got into Skype, apart from that the phonecards are great value and you can use any phone. What i carnt understand is why they charge you to recieve phone calls on your mobile? and texts? i think its just a money makin thing!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

sally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to allsally h is a name known to all

I think I have the cheapest way to call the UK!!! I've been using it since I got here a couple of years ago. It's at www.internetcalls.com
The call quality is far better than skype, and it doesn't cost anything to call landlines in the UK.
It does cost 18 euro cents a minute to call cell phones in the UK.
You get 300 minutes free a week to call landlines, and they have a list of all the countries applicable.
You do have to put down about £10 to start with, (after your free trial), but if you don't call cell phones this money doesn't run out, if you are using a headset on the computer.
You can also make direct calls from your own landline, but the connection charge is 5 euro cents.(which will come out of the money you put down) I use this, as then I can wander around the house while I'm on the phone, rather than being wired up to the headset on the computer.
The way it works is that your home phone starts ringing, you pick it up, and then the phone you are calling starts to ring.
Sometimes, and only sometimes the connection isn't that good, but I usually hang up and call straight back. Generally the connection is excellent.
This has been a godsend for me, as I can keep in touch with family and friends, virtually free, and without it, I think I may have got homesick.....which I haven't!!!
It's pretty straight forward, and the website will explain it to you.
Hope this helps!
sally
Old Dec 29th 2008, 1:20 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Used to use vonage - $40 pm is great if you have a landline, got rid of my landline and now call a local number from my cell thats included in my monthly contract so doesnt cost me anything, routed through this number it costs 2.9c a minute to UK landline......

https://shop.goldline.net/agent_access/home.asp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.