Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What do YOU do to call international cheaply?

What do YOU do to call international cheaply?

Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

lilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the rough
Default What do YOU do to call international cheaply?

I've been living in Canmore, Alberta for a few months now and what with settling in and everything I still haven't got around to working out how to call England cheaply.

I used to call here from England with Telediscount and I'm wondering if there's something similar in Canada.

Also it'd be interesting to see what others do. I bet there are so many ways to call cheap!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do YOU do to call international cheaply?

We buy international calling cards such as Vox which work out cheap if you are not calling mobiles or 08 numbers.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

Waltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud of

SKYPE!! If your friends and family have it then its FREEEEEEE

But you can get skype credit, and that's pretty cheap. I think about 0.4p a minute to a land line (I set my account up in the uk so it's in £ not $!) Mobiles are slightly more.....about 14p a minute.

We don't have a land line, so skype is all I use to call home.

Steph x
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I've gone deaf so can't use the phone, saves a lot of money on calls

I use messenger and webcams a fair bit, the webcam has a mic with good sound quality so i have never worked out why you need the Skype thing, perhaps someone can explain what I am missing here.

We have some deal with Bell for MOH to ring his family and thats it.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Waltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud of

I don't have messenger or a web cam! With Skype I can call landlines. We don't have a house phone and I don't want to use my mobile to call home!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steph Golder
I don't have messenger or a web cam! With Skype I can call landlines. We don't have a house phone and I don't want to use my mobile to call home!
Ah, I didnt know you could call landlines with Skype, I thought it wsa just puter to puter.

Messenger is a simple download if you want to use that, its good.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

We use Skype to call people back in England. You can call other Skype users (free) or normal phone numbers (landlines are something like 1.2p per minute, mobiles are a little more and you can even SMS mobiles for about 6p a message). Call quality for us is excellent, very occasionally it drops out though. You can also get a Skype-in number in the UK so that people can call you for normal UK rates.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 8:02 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

We use Vonage, which is a VOIP system. It costs me about $40 a month plus tax which gives us unlimited free calls to landline (non-08** numbers) in the UK, Italy, France, Spain, and Ireland, as well as unlimited free long-distance calls in North America.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I've needed to make a lot of UK calls from my mobile recently - no complaints about Virgin PAYG ten bucks a month for 10c/min calls combined with PC calling card @ 3.7c a minute. I'm sure I could do cheaper though, will watch this thread with interest!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

We use Vonage as well, and pay a little extra a month to retain a Birmingham local number - means that OH's family can call a number local to them, which reroutes it to us in Canada at no extra cost.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

Skype give you unlimited free calls to 36 countries for $9.95 a month and a local number for friends/family to call you on costs $30 a year (with a subscription, or $60 a year on its own).
Old Dec 6th 2008, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
We use Vonage as well, and pay a little extra a month to retain a Birmingham local number - means that OH's family can call a number local to them, which reroutes it to us in Canada at no extra cost.
We have a Swansea number for the same reason.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 12:12 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

We have the Shaw TV/Internet/Phone bundle that gives us international calls for 4 cents/minute, which seems pretty reasonable to me. Then again, we don't make an awful lot of calls to the UK - maybe one a week.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

We have Shaw bundle.....tv/phone/internet and pay $150.10 per month, this includes 1000 mins per month free. (I mainly call Spain/UK, tv is the basic cable bundle not digital.)

Linda
Old Dec 7th 2008, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

We used to use skype but found the quality a bit dodgy and I didn't like calling from the computer. Now use webcalldirect so I use the computer to log in but then talk on the 'real' phone. We pay 10 euros flat rate and then if using the computer and a headset (husband) it is free for a call but using the phone (me) it is 5euro cents a call which really is not that expensive. You can stay chatting for ages and it only costs 5 cents for the whole call.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.