Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What do YOU do to call international cheaply?

What do YOU do to call international cheaply?

Old Dec 7th 2008, 2:44 am
Just Joined

ad1664 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do YOU do to call international cheaply?

We use www.worldline.ca, been using them for nearly a year with no problems.

$13.95 per month for unlimited calling - this covers calls to lots of countries, not just the UK.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

We are another Vonage user. One of the good things is that we have been able to use the same virtual telephone number in England, the USA and Canada, which makes it easier for our relatives to remember. Also it is good for the children, as their friends can ring us, and only pay the local phone number cost.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 7:13 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

think this has already been said but my OH calls me from vancouver on a card that he buys from 'seven-eleven'....it costs him $10 and he gets two hours for that.....however, we were on the phone for 1.5 hours once and when he rang again, the credit he had used from the previous call was only $2's worth.......cool......
Old Dec 13th 2008, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

fireman21 is an unknown quantity at this point

you need to use voip... search for it on google...
Old Dec 21st 2008, 12:49 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

PRIMUS, it costs us $25 per month with unlimited calls to UK. We have to pay the landline cost on top of course about $35(I believe, Jules is the finance director and as she is sleeping I wouldn't dare wake her just to confirm that)

We have two teenage (or there abouts) daughter with boyfriends in the UK so they could really rack up the charges. I made them pay the $300 monthly call charges and they would still make them. So to save them from destitution we selected primus as our long distance calling plan.

http://primus.ca/en/residential/index.htm
http://www.primustel.ca/en/residenti...ted-europe.htm

Last edited by Dave+Jules; Dec 21st 2008 at 12:55 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 2:45 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

www.voipbusterpro.com

Cheap as chips!
Old Dec 21st 2008, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

compchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant future

I use my cellphone on Rogers, they have an internation calling plan if you ask the rep about it. I can't remember the exact cost but it wans't far off calling card rates at the time. Personally I don't mind paying the extra for just being able to punch the number in the phone and press the green button. Skype and the others are pretty good though if you can't stand Rogers (I know Rogers bashing is a canadian passtime).
Old Dec 21st 2008, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

compchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by compchris
I use my cellphone on Rogers, they have an internation calling plan if you ask the rep about it. I can't remember the exact cost but it wans't far off calling card rates at the time. Personally I don't mind paying the extra for just being able to punch the number in the phone and press the green button. Skype and the others are pretty good though if you can't stand Rogers (I know Rogers bashing is a canadian passtime).
Just had a look at the Rogers website, costs $7 a month on top of your plan, calls to the UK are from 6 cents per minute. Complete list of rates can be found here : https://www.rogers.com/web/content/w...distance_rates
Old Dec 21st 2008, 4:08 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by compchris
Just had a look at the Rogers website, costs $7 a month on top of your plan, calls to the UK are from 6 cents per minute. Complete list of rates can be found here : https://www.rogers.com/web/content/w...distance_rates
www.mobivox.com I think it's about 2 cents a minute. You dial a local number and then type the number you want to call.

It's a Montréal based startup.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Skype.
Free Skype to Skype calls as previous posters have stated.
Skype Out calls to landlines at a very reasonable £0.024 per minute.
I call the UK and South Africa.

I have the Skype North American package that for $2.95 per month gives me unlimited calls to landlines and cells in the USA and Canada. It also allows me to not have a landline.

If I called the UK (and some other places) more often, I would get unlimited international calling for $9.95. Offers unlimited calling to 22 countries.
(UK 0800 numbers are free to call from Skype)

If you have a Skype Package, then you can have a Skype-in number in the UK allowing friends/family to call your UK Skype number (for the cost of a local call) direct your Skype phone here in Canada. Cost $30 per year.

You are also able to log into Skype from any PC connected to the internet, so you can take Skype with you.

For me it is the complete package and the free Skype to Skype bit is excellent as majority of friends abroad have Skype now. One can also Skype text chat if the other side doesn't have speakers/mic and you use webcam too.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

fireman21 is an unknown quantity at this point

i use jamtelecom.com which is a great service... calls to europe are cheap. check out their rates www.voipjam.com
Old Dec 21st 2008, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of

We too, have the Shaw bundle and I am always calling the UK to chat for hours!!! The phone bill is still very low only 4 cents per minute.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

emmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud ofemmabell has much to be proud of

Another Skype fan here, I was using it to call my son on his mobile but it was eating up the credit, so I purchased a Skype phone for him on line with Three mobile,(he not got computer at moment) think it was about 40 pounds but came with tenner credit, I can now call him anytime for free. Land line calls are really cheap as quoted prior, never (touch wood) had any problems with the service.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Another happy Shaw digital customer. 4c a minute at any time and the call quality is rock solid. Don't rack up enough call time to make the free minutes package worthwhile.
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

I have Rogers landline with International Plan for an extra $1 per month - I get calls to the UK for 2c per minute.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.