Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

what to do in London UK

what to do in London UK

Old Aug 28th 2012, 5:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what to do in London UK

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Just before we left for Canada I had to go to Wandsworth Town Hall to get a copy of our wedding certificate. I had to wait about an hour and there was no better place to wait than the pub next door. A couple of pints of Special later I had almost decided pack this emigration malarky in.

There is nothing to return for now.
Steady on, they only moved the brewery up north, they didn't stop making the beer.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 5:19 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

When you get a day off, go to Carnaby Street and see the punk rockers.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:05 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy the sight of fat women not wearing lulu lemon.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 6:09 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
When you get a day off, go to Carnaby Street and see the punk rockers.
But don't call them all Sheena!
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:21 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Just watch out for the hooded chavs wielding weapons and swearing at old ladies, the streets filled with broken glass, the vast unemployed, and the dogs we here so much about on hear

I'm jealous. It'll be great so enjoy
That sounds very much like manchester
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:24 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
The Lake District
The Cotswolds (as you say) Bourton on the Water, Stow on the Wold, Moreton in the Marsh combined with Stratford upon Avon
Warwick / Warwick Castle
York minster and York

to name a few.
I basically grew up around the lakes....been to York numerous times.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Oink
Go to the football.
I don't like footie.....
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Why not? Always an option because London aint everything in the UK and you might as well see as much as you can
I am British u know.....didn't plan on a cross uk jaunt....but I may head to Manchester to see me mum.....
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:30 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
I don't like footie.....
You might enjoy seeing Spurs then.

Seriously, bats had the right idea. The museums and art galleries are a large part of what makes visiting London worthwhile. And, as they are mostly free, if it turns out you don't enjoy one it is no great loss.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:38 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing that you are at Hendon it will be easy to arrange trips to two of the most interesting places I've been to in London. (Think you need an inside invite...)

http://www.thamespolicemuseum.org.uk/museum.html

followed by

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Museum

and when you have seen the first you can pop in to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prospect_of_Whitby

which is just round the corner

and Brick Lane is a must .....Sunday morning is the best
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:03 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimmydean
Seeing that you are at Hendon it will be easy to arrange trips to two of the most interesting places I've been to in London. (Think you need an inside invite...)

http://www.thamespolicemuseum.org.uk/museum.html

followed by

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Museum

and when you have seen the first you can pop in to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prospect_of_Whitby

which is just round the corner

and Brick Lane is a must .....Sunday morning is the best
'

I used to go to Prospect fo Whitby when I was a student. It was agreat place then.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

kiwipolski is an unknown quantity at this point

Go out and sit by the river in a pub at Richmond, go see a Fulham game and grab a drink at the Kings Arms before, spend a Sunday at Petticoat Lane and Brick Lane, followed by Spitalfields, go on the London Eye then walk along South Bank, the museums are great (Imperial War Museum and the V&A are my favourites), go Borough Markets and eat in the church yard, walk along the river near the Tate Modern, then go to Tower Bridge and St Katherine's Dock. Not sure how old you are, but if you're in your 20s / early 30s, go find yourself a Walkabout (Shepherds Bush, Covent Garden, Temple are best) - you'll make some drinking buddies, especially if there's a rugby game on.
Grab a curry at Brick Lane.. There's a Michelin starred pub at Fulham that's worth a look. I miss London something chronic but I'm also glad I don't live there
Oh, and go catch a train to Portsmouth or Brighton.. Or head up north - Stratford, Bath, Circencester, Leeds, Laycock.. So many places!
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:21 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

When you go to Camden market walk up to Chalk Farm and eat spaghetti at Marine Ices. It used to be great, I had my first ever spaghetti there.

You can report back of course
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:21 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
I don't like footie.....
Then I'd suggest Soho might be more up your alley.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:27 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

There is also the (now) cult chinese in Chinatown

http://wongkeilondon.com/

I think things have calmed down now but they were famous for two things when I used to go there many years ago.......cheap but good chinese food and the terrible abuse the waiters/waitresses used to give the customers.........used to have to duck under the table if you were brave enough to ask for a fork....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.