Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What do accents say to you

What do accents say to you

Old Jun 18th 2012, 6:50 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do accents say to you

First impressions are important, and after the initial visual scan, follows the audible scan.

This occurred to me today while out driving and listening to the radio. Some German was being interviewed about something, can't remember what, and I immediately thought of Herr Flick of the Gestapo

But it's not just because of Allo Allo. As a kid, all I ever saw on TV was old black n white films (eventually colour) of WW2 movies, and any time you seen a Nazi, they spoke like that. That brain-washing will be gone with the my kids and their generation hopefully.

I won't go into what I think of when I here a Swedish woman talking

So what are your favourite, and least favourite accents from both the UK and the world? male and female will be different of course

Favourite female accent: Southern Ireland
Favourite male accent: Australian (south)

Least favourite female: German
Least favourite male: South Africa
Old Jun 18th 2012, 7:09 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do accents say to you

With regard to women my favourite accents are Dutch and Spanish..my least favourite sorry to say are Scottish and Northern Irish.

Men im not to bothered about but not a fan of Australian or that horrible brizzle/plymouth twang.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 7:19 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
With regard to women my favourite accents are Dutch and Spanish..my least favourite sorry to say are Scottish and Northern Irish.

Men im not to bothered about but not a fan of Australian or that horrible brizzle/plymouth twang.
I would add Italian to the women column ( although that may have more to do with the looks of the Spanish and Italian women I have come across - ooooo errr )
Old Jun 18th 2012, 7:21 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Always a touchy subject with me...my kid was born in France and when he speaks English has a funny foreign accent "it's waining" instead of raining, but his teachers tell me he has a funny foreign accent in French too - so it looks like I'll never win! I left the UK 25 years ago and have always lived in funny parts so I think I over enunciate on the How Now Brown Cow field. My father was from Edinburgh and my mother the Midlands, but I WISH I was from Tyneside or North Shields (very sexy) via any Italian (sexy gone nuclear)!
Old Jun 18th 2012, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Maplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to all

I'm from Coventry and my other half is a Brummie. Am I disqualified from this thread?
Old Jun 18th 2012, 7:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Maplease
I'm from Coventry and my other half is a Brummie. Am I disqualified from this thread?
Nah, unless you type with an accent
Old Jun 18th 2012, 7:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tangram
I would add Italian to the women column ( although that may have more to do with the looks of the Spanish and Italian women I have come across - ooooo errr )
I did think about Latina women, but then you need to remember what they sound like when they are angry (which is always)
Old Jun 18th 2012, 7:36 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I’m usually only interested in the content rather than the style of speech. That said, I find the American/Canadian accent to be the most grating. It sounds like they’ve all had mild strokes.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 7:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Oink
I’m usually only interested in the content rather than the style of speech. That said, I find the American/Canadian accent to be the most grating. It sounds like they’ve all had mild strokes.
LOL, like YOU care what anyone else says
Old Jun 18th 2012, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
First impressions are important, and after the initial visual scan, follows the audible scan.

This occurred to me today while out driving and listening to the radio. Some German was being interviewed about something, can't remember what, and I immediately thought of Herr Flick of the Gestapo

But it's not just because of Allo Allo. As a kid, all I ever saw on TV was old black n white films (eventually colour) of WW2 movies, and any time you seen a Nazi, they spoke like that. That brain-washing will be gone with the my kids and their generation hopefully.

I won't go into what I think of when I here a Swedish woman talking

So what are your favourite, and least favourite accents from both the UK and the world? male and female will be different of course

Favourite female accent: Southern Ireland
Favourite male accent: Australian (south)

Least favourite female: German
Least favourite male: South Africa

ssat wass not ferry naiss off juh
Old Jun 18th 2012, 7:43 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Favourite - Scottish

Least - Asian (any of dialects)
Old Jun 18th 2012, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Favourite - Scottish

Wow, Asia is pretty big! lol, you hate them all?
Old Jun 18th 2012, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by woodworm
ssat wass not ferry naiss off juh
was that meant to be German?
Old Jun 18th 2012, 8:07 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Favourite - Scottish

It is all about context. There is a time and a place when Asian accents can be quite alluring.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Lvh76 is on a distinguished road

I, like many other women, LOVE Irish (north or south) on a bloke. I wish I had a French accent because I think French women sound sophisticated and sexy. My dad has a strong north Walian accent and my mum's Korean so it's amazing that I've come ours with a rather non descript, hard-to-place uk accent. Although my husband says I get very Welsh when I'm drunk or angry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.