Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What did you do that you wouldn't do now?

What did you do that you wouldn't do now?

Old Feb 7th 2013, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What did you do that you wouldn't do now?

Originally Posted by Shard
That is amazing strength of mind. Going and dealing with it thereafter.
I never really thought about it. Everyone I worked with was of the same mindset. I see it as being cut out for the job. Not everyone can handle open wounds and, if this applies to you, I would imagine that you would not wish to be a surgeon.

What I saw in theatre was more difficult to deal with. Attending places where entire communities had been slaughtered was far more troublesome to me that putting and end to those that had slaughtered.

I do not think everyone can be a soldier - I know I couldn't.
Most soldiers cannot "be a soldier". I was amazed to learn that members of the RAF are allowed to be exempt from carrying arms. I accept that, for example, being someone that repairs aircraft does not, necessarily, mean that one has to be in "theatre" but it came as big surprise to me. I have to admit that I have never actually looked into whether it is true.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 7:04 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Played rugby for uni and drank excessively afterwards with concussion.

Every Sunday....
Old Feb 7th 2013, 7:09 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I never really thought about it. Everyone I worked with was of the same mindset. I see it as being cut out for the job. Not everyone can handle open wounds and, if this applies to you, I would imagine that you would not wish to be a surgeon.

What I saw in theatre was more difficult to deal with. Attending places where entire communities had been slaughtered was far more troublesome to me that putting and end to those that had slaughtered.

Most soldiers cannot "be a soldier". I was amazed to learn that members of the RAF are allowed to be exempt from carrying arms. I accept that, for example, being someone that repairs aircraft does not, necessarily, mean that one has to be in "theatre" but it came as big surprise to me. I have to admit that I have never actually looked into whether it is true.

Are you amateur photography buff?
Old Feb 7th 2013, 7:10 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
Played rugby for uni and drank excessively afterwards with concussion.

Every Sunday....
You could cut that post to one word. Rugby. The rest is a given.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 7:34 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I recall speaking to a Ugandan who has been a soldier and killed. I found it quite surreal to be having a coffee in genteel surroundings with someone who was, effectively, a killer. To be fair. someone who had been a killer. It's rare to meet individuals with that experience in developed countries, although obviously many exist. I found it hard to reconcile the fact he had committed the ultimate action, but had been able to move on from it and ring fence that part of his life. He explained to me that in his situation it was quite simple, his captain told him to shoot the enemy or he himself would be shot (by the captain). I think he was civilian turned miltia (Uganda). I suppose for the military itself, that is one of the functions of all the training, so that "normal" individuals are able to psychologically deal with their actions.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 7:49 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Swim in the North Sea.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 7:54 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Swim in the North Sea.
Wade into the North Sea.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 7:59 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

No, I can't think of anything worse in life than an enfeebled ball sack.

Wade into the North Sea.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 8:13 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I recall speaking to a Ugandan who has been a soldier and killed. I found it quite surreal to be having a coffee in genteel surroundings with someone who was, effectively, a killer. To be fair. someone who had been a killer. It's rare to meet individuals with that experience in developed countries, although obviously many exist. I found it hard to reconcile the fact he had committed the ultimate action, but had been able to move on from it and ring fence that part of his life. He explained to me that in his situation it was quite simple, his captain told him to shoot the enemy or he himself would be shot (by the captain). I think he was civilian turned miltia (Uganda). I suppose for the military itself, that is one of the functions of all the training, so that "normal" individuals are able to psychologically deal with their actions.
The main part of your post is correct. The last bit is not. They may go in normal and trained but they are not the same people when they come out.

I am, as some are aware, rather closely wedded to the Canadian military. I have seen the before and after of guys that go on ops. It isn't pleasant.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 8:21 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Souvy
The main part of your post is correct. The last bit is not. They may go in normal and trained but they are not the same people when they come out.

I am, as some are aware, rather closely wedded to the Canadian military. I have seen the before and after of guys that go on ops. It isn't pleasant.
Yes I appreciate that. Indeed it's what I assume is the general case or certainly common. It's why I was asking AC how his experience has been. I am sure none of it is pleasant and as I said before not something I could do.
Old Feb 7th 2013, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I appreciate that. Indeed it's what I assume is the general case or certainly common. It's why I was asking AC how his experience has been. I am sure none of it is pleasant and as I said before not something I could do.
Nothing in training can ever prepare you for actual combat. I shat myself every time I pulled the trigger or became embroiled in hand to hand combat. I have never met anyone that has said otherwise. Fortunately I have never been threatened with being shot by a member of my side either.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 8:37 am
Yo

Nothing in training can ever prepare you for actual combat. I shat myself every time I pulled the trigger or became embroiled in hand to hand combat. I have never met anyone that has said otherwise. Fortunately I have never been threatened with being shot by a member of my side either.
Looking back on your military experience (with greater maturity, wisdom and experience) is it something that you would sign up for again, were you able to go back in time? When I see the very young soldiers, I often think that their youth is in some sense being exploited (there willingness to serve and their need for camaraderie and adventure). Not everyone of course. I am sure there are those go into the military with no illusions (perhaps those from military families and those that simply breathe a military life). But I do feel that for some of the young men, if their recruitment was delayed five years, they may well not have joined.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Looking back on your military experience (with greater maturity, wisdom and experience) is it something that you would sign up for again, were you able to go back in time? When I see the very young soldiers, I often think that their youth is in some sense being exploited (there willingness to serve and their need for camaraderie and adventure). Not everyone of course. I am sure there are those go into the military with no illusions (perhaps those from military families and those that simply breathe a military life). But I do feel that for some of the young men, if their recruitment was delayed five years, they may well not have joined.
I think this is a very good point. We have a friend who joined young. He's in his early 30s now and he's in such a mess. He's in a very abusive relationship and has tried to commit suicide once that I know of. Every time he drinks which is often he gets into a right state. It's ruined his life. I think if he had joined in his mid 20s he might have had more life experience to either help him out there or make him realise it wasn't for him. Who knows? I have the utmost respect for soldiers.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 12:52 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
I think this is a very good point. We have a friend who joined young. He's in his early 30s now and he's in such a mess. He's in a very abusive relationship and has tried to commit suicide once that I know of. Every time he drinks which is often he gets into a right state. It's ruined his life. I think if he had joined in his mid 20s he might have had more life experience to either help him out there or make him realise it wasn't for him. Who knows? I have the utmost respect for soldiers.
Yes, I am in awe of their selflessness. Especially in this era where our wars are not directly about protecting the homeland, but have more of a political or human rights purpose.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Looking back on your military experience (with greater maturity, wisdom and experience) is it something that you would sign up for again, were you able to go back in time?
Yes

When I see the very young soldiers, I often think that their youth is in some sense being exploited (there willingness to serve and their need for camaraderie and adventure). Not everyone of course. I am sure there are those go into the military with no illusions (perhaps those from military families and those that simply breathe a military life). But I do feel that for some of the young men, if their recruitment was delayed five years, they may well not have joined.
I think that the highlighted portion is the normal comments that non-Forces personel believe. I accept that, for some, military life is a way out of being on welfare, but for most that enlist with such an attitude, they won't get through basic training. Again, most forces personnel never experience "adventure" They like to think of themselves as into extreme sports etc. but, rather than do this regularly, they spend all their time in the NAAFI bar or head into town all the time to terrorize the locals. It is with much regret that I have to admit that I had little time for most that I met in the military. I remain in touch with very few now.

I enlisted at the age of 23 after I had worked as a carpenter and as a Prison Officer for a number of years. I was the oldest in my squad by some margin. I believe that most of those training me below the rank of Corporal were younger than I was. The Captain hated me because he had wanted to become a Prison Officer but had been unable to pass their selection process.

I had a career plan mapped out before I enlisted (after speaking to lots of ex-Forces in the Prison Service). I knew which Unit I wished to end up in and I was able to achieve that aim relatively quickly.

I don't believe for one minute that I was a green teenager that had little idea what I was letting myself in for. I was not joining up to avoid a life on welfare either.

I enjoyed my time there and I received a medical discharge due to becoming a Type I diabetic. Had I not been discharged, it is unlikely that I would have been in for 22 years. I knew that I had to leave at some point and, again, to the maximum extent possible, I did things whilst enlisted that I believed would aid my life once I left. From a certain point of view, I was fortunate to have been discharged at the age that I was as it is far easier to change careers at the age that I left, than it would have been in my mid-forties.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Feb 8th 2013 at 1:42 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.