Weight lost attempts

Old Nov 5th 2014, 2:10 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weight lost attempts

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Hey Jsmth... I feel like I can actually help out here. Here's my weight loss journey.

Short version: 2 years 2 months at it. Down 2st. Healthy BMI now. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet. Mantra is "eat a little bit less, move a little bit more".
Having met Schnooko in person I can confirm that she looks marvellous.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 2:11 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
The big challenge is going to be cutting the booze back.......
Try swapping to Gin and Tonic.

A single gin (25mL) with slimline tonic is about 70cals, or with regular tonic is about 100cals.

Other mixed drinks with non-regular pops are good options as well - rum and diet coke, rye and diet ginger, vodka soda, and so on.

Old Nov 5th 2014, 2:18 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no expert but I do suffer from knee issues as well if I run on hard services for more than 20 minutes or so. That is down to foot alignment and can be fixed with the right soles.

But if that is not an option I would suggest running on a field. It burns more calories than road running and the ground is softer.

I've never seen an effective treadmill in any one's home. They just never match the quality of the ones at the gym.

A better option may be a cheap bike???

Anyway just food for thought.

I'm actually trying to do something similar. I was buying jeans on the weekend and could not find a pair of 34 inch waist to fit. That was a wake up call.

My goal is 15 pounds. I've cut to 1500 calories a day as I'll burn 300 every other day at the gym.

Can I have them? I'm trying, and failing, to put weight on.

You probably didn't want to hear that.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 2:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Longer version:
How? Counting calories and exercising. Not anything huge. Eat a little bit less, move a little bit more......
I bought a food scale and started paying attention to what I ate, and I logged everything.....
I was very, very careful not to miss anything I was eating...... bulked up dinners with more veggies...

It didn't take long to start seeing improvements. As happens early in a diet, the weight came off relatively quickly.....
Been there done that, bought the T-shirt....smaller of course.

@jsmth Don't under estimate using steps or stairs for step ups. And not taking the elevator.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 2:47 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no expert but I do suffer from knee issues as well if I run on hard services for more than 20 minutes or so. That is down to foot alignment and can be fixed with the right soles.

But if that is not an option I would suggest running on a field. It burns more calories than road running and the ground is softer.

I've never seen an effective treadmill in any one's home. They just never match the quality of the ones at the gym.

A better option may be a cheap bike???

Anyway just food for thought.

I'm actually trying to do something similar. I was buying jeans on the weekend and could not find a pair of 34 inch waist to fit. That was a wake up call.

My goal is 15 pounds. I've cut to 1500 calories a day as I'll burn 300 every other day at the gym.

There's massive calorific variation in drinks. Obviously the more % alcohol the more calories, but it's quite easy to fool yourself that you are consuming less calories than you are, especially if session drinking.

This is a good site to calculate calorie values for drinks (albeit UK drinks). It's worthwhile identifying a target drink or two (as with Schnooks' G&T suggestion) and sticking with that.

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/underst...nit-calculator
Old Nov 5th 2014, 2:48 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
@jsmth Don't under estimate using steps or stairs for step ups. And not taking the elevator.
Definitely this!

I worked on the 2nd floor so started taking the stairs instead of the elevator, and used the stairs when going within 4 floors of my floor instead of the elevator. I did once take the stairs from the 2nd to the 10th... was very out of breath at the top!

I also always walked up escalators in the tube station... I remember the first time jogging up the escalator going home and not being out of the breath at the top was an awesome feeling.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 3:32 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy

Drink beer. Eat bar food. Fastest method I can think of!
Old Nov 5th 2014, 3:43 pm
Concierge

Add in calorie-dense foods that are still low in sugar. Nuts and peanut butter, beans, hummus, lentils, quinoa, avocado, and so on. Drink more milk.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 3:44 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Drink beer. Eat bar food. Fastest method I can think of!
Beer does not work (and I am not a member of The Temperance League, I can assure you!).

I very, very rarely go to bars. I would if there were decent ones within staggering distance of me. There are none.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 3:46 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Beer does not work (and I am not a member of The Temperance League, I can assure you!).

I very, very rarely go to bars. I would if there were decent ones within staggering distance of me. There are none.
Do you eat infrequently or small portions?
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:01 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Shard
Do you eat infrequently or small portions?
Both.

If I feel hungry during the day, I will eat a little something to counter the pangs (pings).

Tonight, I will be eating an enormously calorie-laden pasta dish.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:10 pm
Concierge

Both.

If I feel hungry during the day, I will eat a little something to counter the pangs (pings).

Tonight, I will be eating an enormously calorie-laden pasta dish.
You can do a few extra things to add calories without adding too much bulk. Add some ground meat to the pasta sauce. Slice up some sausage and add it to the sauce. Have tortellini or ravioli instead of just plain pasta. Put a salad on the side of it, but put stuff like avocado and nuts into the salad to bring up the calories.

It's tough to get extra calories without being unhealthy.

Also, look into protein shakes. You can make a shake in the morning, use some greek yogurt, a scoop of peanut butter, some berries, a banana, and a scoop of protein powder... makes a nice thick smoothie that's easily like 500 calories. And everything in there is still healthy stuff.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:15 pm
me/moi

Both.

It sounds like nothing an extra sandwich and/or morning croissant could not solve. Regularly snacking on half a cup of nuts will also do wonders for your "problem".
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:17 pm
Slob

You can do a few extra things to add calories without adding too much bulk. Add some ground meat to the pasta sauce. Slice up some sausage and add it to the sauce. Have tortellini or ravioli instead of just plain pasta. Put a salad on the side of it, but put stuff like avocado and nuts into the salad to bring up the calories.

It's tough to get extra calories without being unhealthy.

Also, look into protein shakes. You can make a shake in the morning, use some greek yogurt, a scoop of peanut butter, some berries, a banana, and a scoop of protein powder... makes a nice thick smoothie that's easily like 500 calories. And everything in there is still healthy stuff.
Oh, you mentioned yog and banana. I would rather die.

Tonight's dinner will be pasta with scallops, shed loads of olive oil, parmesszhan and, I imagine, veggies and hot bread, with butter. Can I get any more calories in me than that?
Old Nov 5th 2014, 4:29 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have worms?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.