Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

We get the keys on Monday

We get the keys on Monday

Old Mar 3rd 2007, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of
Default Re: We get the keys on Monday

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
After 8 weeks in temporary accommodation we finally get the keys to our new home on Monday.

It's soooo exciting
Many congratulations Yes-can-do. Good luck for the move, and your new future out there.

Is it 8 weeks since you landed then? Have you managed to find, and complete on a house in that time then?

Enjoy it!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 12:31 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robski
Many congratulations Yes-can-do. Good luck for the move, and your new future out there.

Is it 8 weeks since you landed then? Have you managed to find, and complete on a house in that time then?

Enjoy it!
We landed on 9th Jan and the house we bought was the second one we viewed although we continued to view others for a further 2 weeks. We knew it was the one for us though. We put our offer in $25,000 less than the asking price and they came back hours later asking for another $5000 so the very same day it was a done deal. You can exchange really quickly here but we allowed them just under 6 weeks to move as they have small children and they had to find temp accommodation themselves before they start building a new home on some land they own. We are in a 2-bedroomed apartment so it hasn't been too bad. It'll be great to have more space though
Old Mar 4th 2007, 12:47 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
Jees! How much did you pay for the plasmas?
We're bringing our 42" plasma out there with us as luckily it's switchable to 110 V and 50Hz. Although relatives of ours were thinking we were going to give it to one of them. Not sure how we're going to get it working as a telly over there yet though, because it needs some sort of receiver but I dare say I will.

50" Panasonic plasma cost $2600, and 42" version cost $1800 (plus taxes of course) so we justify it by knowing it was bought with GBP so only cost around 1300 and 900 GBP .

Don't be afraid to ask for a price match, we did and got another $100 off the 42" version.

Just been browsing the web for HD DVDs and found that David Attenborough's Planet Earth: Complete Collection will be release on April 24th. How fantastic will that be to watch on HD.

Last edited by Cookie; Mar 4th 2007 at 1:32 am.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

We landed on 9th Jan and the house we bought was the second one we viewed although we continued to view others for a further 2 weeks. We knew it was the one for us though. We put our offer in $25,000 less than the asking price and they came back hours later asking for another $5000 so the very same day it was a done deal. You can exchange really quickly here but we allowed them just under 6 weeks to move as they have small children and they had to find temp accommodation themselves before they start building a new home on some land they own. We are in a 2-bedroomed apartment so it hasn't been too bad. It'll be great to have more space though
Thanks very much for letting me know. Good to know it is possible to complete in good time out there, certainly that is what my realtor had been telling me.

I dont want to have to impose on friends for too long, and renting will be a problem becuase of my cat

Good luck for tomorrow and enjoy!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

50" Panasonic plasma cost $2600, and 42" version cost $1800 (plus taxes of course) so we justify it by knowing it was bought with GBP so only cost around 1300 and 900 GBP .

Don't be afraid to ask for a price match, we did and got another $100 off the 42" version.

Just been browsing the web for HD DVDs and found that David Attenborough's Planet Earth: Complete Collection will be release on April 24th. How fantastic will that be to watch on HD.
Similar prices to over here then. Did you take DVD's over with you? How did you overcome the 'region' thing?
Old Mar 4th 2007, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

NovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really niceNovaBoy is just really nice

After 8 weeks in temporary accommodation we finally get the keys to our new home on Monday. We are going to be busy busy busy but are looking forward to finally being reunited with all our furniture and clothes from the UK. Have had a great time buying some new furniture and obligatory 50" plasma for the family room and a 'normal' sized one for the living room. Once the home theatre system and satellite are hooked up I might not see the boys for days on end as they catch up on European footie

Can't wait to invite all our new friends round for a wee party. They have been so nice to us, even having us over for Sunday lunch where we found out that Atlantic Superstore sells Yorkshire puddings and white puddings .

It's soooo exciting

Good luck with the move on Monday!! Sooo exciting to get the keys to your new Canadian home.

After you get the Plasma TV plumbed in you might not see the hubby or kids for months....

Enjoy your wee party with your new neighbours!! and don't forget to have a wee nip for us still in the UK.

Cheers & lang may yur lumb reek!!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 2:11 pm
Scottish Canuck

Originally Posted by steve666
Similar prices to over here then. Did you take DVD's over with you? How did you overcome the 'region' thing?
We shipped over most of our DVDs along with our region-free, dual voltage, PAL and NTSC compatible DVD player (Toshiba, only cost about 60 GBP a year ago). Will just have to change the plug. We will also be buying another player here and I have been told that some of the really cheap ones from Walmart are actually region-free even if they don't state it. I will post a new thread to see if anyone has purchased one recently. There are also websites for de-coding your player to play any dvd.

Strangely enough, some of the DVDs we hand carried play on our new Canadian XBOX 360 (The Still Game, Kath and Kim). None of the movies worked through.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 2:27 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

We shipped over most of our DVDs along with our region-free, dual voltage, PAL and NTSC compatible DVD player (Toshiba, only cost about 60 GBP a year ago). Will just have to change the plug. We will also be buying another player here and I have been told that some of the really cheap ones from Walmart are actually region-free even if they don't state it. I will post a new thread to see if anyone has purchased one recently. There are also websites for de-coding your player to play any dvd.

Strangely enough, some of the DVDs we hand carried play on our new Canadian XBOX 360 (The Still Game, Kath and Kim). None of the movies worked through.

No still game Dvds that a shame.

John Wayne's an a***hole and all that
Old Mar 4th 2007, 2:50 pm
Scottish Canuck

Yes, the ALL The Still Game DVDs worked. What a treat it is to watch

Last edited by Cookie; Mar 4th 2007 at 2:50 pm. Reason: I'm a numpty
Old Mar 4th 2007, 5:53 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations! Enjoy your new pad!

obligatory 50" plasma for the family room
Obligatory? You normal people kill me!

I've a got me a 19"er... old style, last one on the shop... $225... delivered and installed (plugged in... I must appear that pathetic! ).

Is crap tv really any better when it's big?
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:05 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas

Oh you'd better believe it especially if it's in HD.

Just think Don Cherry in High Def.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:10 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Oh you'd better believe it especially if it's in HD.

Just think Don Cherry in High Def.

Oh good grief Steve! He's bad enough in colour!
Old Mar 4th 2007, 6:12 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh good grief Steve! He's bad enough in colour!
My point exactly.
Old Mar 4th 2007, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info [Yes]
Old Mar 4th 2007, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Obligatory? You normal people kill me!
You don't watch TV (certainly not north american anyway) on plasma's!! It's for DVD's, movies, documentaries, computer games and the like. Christ if TV where the only reason to buy a plasma they could go sing, wouldn't have a TV AT ALL!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.