Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

We dont need this law use common sense.

We dont need this law use common sense.

Old Sep 18th 2012, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default We dont need this law use common sense.

Really does this Private Members bill need to be brought into law.
Why cant gas station owners and companies just use common sense.
If your gas station is getting ripped off by fill up and dash merchants then set the pumps not to dispense gas until some form of payment is made by either cash or debit/credit card authorization just like most US gas stations do.
Why should an employee be put at risk or have their wages docked because someone drove off without paying for 50 bucks worth of gas.
Sadly we now almost need bullet proof glass protected offices to protect an employee from the dangers of usually working alone in these jobs.
Depending on certain areas there is no way in hell I would work alone in a gas station regardless of time of day.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...ant-death.html
Old Sep 18th 2012, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: We dont need this law use common sense.

seee...small towns are better.

Try here to drive away w/o paying...they know where you live!

But seriously ...if BC can implement these "pay-first" gasstation, why can't the rest...or at least there, where it is an issue.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 5:48 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

It's great in BC.

- Drive to pump
- Insert card
- Get petrol
- Drive off

Don't need to speak to anyone, or deal with any pointless "how are you" crap.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 5:51 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Paying upfront at the pump can also be a PITA. Rising gas prices mean that filling a truck often costs more than a pump will permit as a pre-authorized payment. Throw in the need for a jerry can or 2 of diesel or gas too and the process is thoroughly annoying. On occasion I need to swipe my debit card for 3 separate transactions to get the volume of fuel I need, and it's always rejected on the 3rd swipe as a potentially fraudulent use of the card, so I have to use a combination of debit and credit cards to pump the gas I need.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 5:56 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Paying upfront at the pump can also be a PITA. Rising gas prices mean that filling a truck often costs more than a pump will permit as a pre-authorized payment. Throw in the need for a jerry can or 2 of diesel or gas too and the process is thoroughly annoying. On occasion I need to swipe my debit card for 3 separate transactions to get the volume of fuel I need, and it's always rejected on the 3rd swipe as a potentially fraudulent use of the card, so I have to use a combination of debit and credit cards to pump the gas I need.
Get a prius.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with your statement and not seeming to be argumentative but you are one of how many in that situation? The technology is there to have larger pre authorized amounts. As for 3 x seperate transactions well thats a problem area.
Like anything they go with the majority and if you dont fit that area then they really dont give a shit about several customers like yourself.
Sure its a PITA but do you think they care about you or protecting their staff or profits?
Sadly we are now seeing this becoming more prevelant and gone are the days where businesses trust their customers.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Paying upfront at the pump can also be a PITA. Rising gas prices mean that filling a truck often costs more than a pump will permit as a pre-authorized payment.
The gas station we use introduced this a few months ago. Now I get them to fill it for me because it's easier than having to go in and guess how much fuel I'm going to use then go back out and fill it up.

They may get less people driving away, but I'm sure they've also lost customers who didn't drive away (and did buy high profit items like car washes, etc) and they're having to pay more for people to fill cars for those of us who can't be arsed with the hassle of doing it ourselves.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 6:07 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Get a prius.
Can it tow a boat or carry a month's worth of garbage to the dump?
Old Sep 18th 2012, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

It's great in BC.

- Drive to pump
- Insert card
- Get petrol
- Drive off

Don't need to speak to anyone, or deal with any pointless "how are you" crap.
yikes...not really the social type are you?
Old Sep 18th 2012, 6:11 pm
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I agree with your statement and not seeming to be argumentative but you are one of how many in that situation? The technology is there to have larger pre authorized amounts. As for 3 x seperate transactions well that's a problem area.
How many people own trucks? I don't think I'm in a small minority. The gas companies determine the volume of pre-paid fuel that can be delivered, not the gas station itself.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Can it tow a boat or carry a month's worth of garbage to the dump?
of course...if you stick with a tiny paddle boat and recycle properly, so there isn't much garbage in the first place (and just think of it, you do 3 times good for the environment)
Old Sep 18th 2012, 6:13 pm

Can't you just use your credit card all the time? That's what I do and I've never had a problem.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 6:16 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem with common sense is that it aint so common these days.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 6:34 pm
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by manitobain
of course...if you stick with a tiny paddle boat and recycle properly, so there isn't much garbage in the first place (and just think of it, you do 3 times good for the environment)
I have no garbage collection. I have to take everything to the dump.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 6:35 pm
Pea Brain

Can't you just use your credit card all the time? That's what I do and I've never had a problem.
3 swipes within a few minutes of each other at the same pump and the card won't play. It gets flagged as fraudulent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.