water heater switch

Old Feb 2nd 2016, 11:37 am
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: water heater switch

Electricity rates from my last bill in Post 21...
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 1:23 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Well, in my case it was already rented and on the electric bills when I bought the house.

But at $75 a year and the power company responsible for repairs or replacement and people talking about buying one for less than $1000 - not to mention the cost of removal, disposal, delivery and installation, and potential repairs/replacement in the future why would you buy one?
We have a rental in the house and at work we have a rental as well so I don't have to service it. The guy from Heath comes and de-scales it and flushes it out and changes the anode and it's good for another couple of years and all I have to do is let him in. I've changed anodes after they were shot and leaking and had the heater be fine, and once when it had to be replaced, but at that time they were only about $25 or $35, I wonder how much they are now? At work I had to form and pour a foot high pad for the water heater (and another for the boilers) as a safeguard against flooding and that's all; they even phone and let you know when you're due for service.
In the trailer in Oliver we have the smaller one that was probably installed when it was manufactured.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 2:25 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Average shower lasts 8 minutes and uses 15+ gallons of water.

As we never seem to run out I guess that that 15 gallons includes a decent % of cold water i the mix too, but looks like my payback calculation is worthwhile!

Now, to RONA!
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 3:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Our debt retirement charges have just been removed, but Horizon have all manner of delivery charges.

https://www.horizonutilities.com/myH...onalMeter.aspx
We don't seem to have a distribution or delivery charge. There is something called a rate rider @ 5% which for our last bill was 9.00 for 2 months, and of course GST and PST, but nothing as crazy as $20 just to receive the service....
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 4:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Wow. Average shower lasts 8 minutes and uses 15+ gallons of water.

As we never seem to run out I guess that that 15 gallons includes a decent % of cold water i the mix too, but looks like my payback calculation is worthwhile!

Now, to RONA!
Low flow shower head?

I've seen some online at 1gpm, so 8 gallons for an 8 min shower.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 6:03 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Low flow shower head?

I've seen some online at 1gpm, so 8 gallons for an 8 min shower.
I checked this morning, the head said max 2.5 GPM at 60 PSI. Not sure on the PSI.

I'll update when I source the switch, cos it's the bullshit American 240V it'll need to be double pole. Home Despot seems to have one for $60 which is a decent chunk cheaper than Rona.