Wardrobes

Old Apr 12th 2008, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light
Default Wardrobes

We're trying to work out what we need to bring over when we move to Halifax. Most of the houses we saw on our reccie trips had built in wardrobes rather than freestanding ones, but we don't know if this is the case for all houses out there. Is it worth us bringing our wardrobes with us, or is that a waste of time ?
Old Apr 12th 2008, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wardrobes

Originally Posted by Southcote
We're trying to work out what we need to bring over when we move to Halifax. Most of the houses we saw on our reccie trips had built in wardrobes rather than freestanding ones, but we don't know if this is the case for all houses out there. Is it worth us bringing our wardrobes with us, or is that a waste of time ?
I brought my grandmother's one, I think it's worth bringing that kind of thing. It's completely empty mind, my clothes are in the closet, it just sits there looking gorgeous

Also brought my child's one as it was part of a set and reasonable quality.

I wouldn't bring any Ikea/MFI-type stuff... I doubt it would survive the journey.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 8:46 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Most Canadian houses have built in closets.

If you have a beautiful wardrobe like Biiiiink's, perhaps you can use it as an armoire / TV cabinet.

If your wardrobes aren't anything special, I don't think it's worth bringing them.
x
Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm - we have a lovely quadruple wardrobe looking stunning in our garage at the moment. It's great for ski poles and wellies !!!

It was too big to go where I thought it would go, and we certainly don't need it anywhere else as all rooms have built-in cupboards. So ditto the other's advice. If it's really good, or antique, or quality - chuck in the container - you may be able to find a good home for it - hopefully better than the home we found for ours ! Otherwise, ditch, sell, dismantle and get rid ....
Old Apr 13th 2008, 12:43 am
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Don't bring them unless you love them. A bedroom, at least here in BC, must have a closet (built-in wardrobe) in order to be called a bedroom. Otherwise it is a nook or den.

We found most of the furniture we brought just didn't go and has been a nuisance to get rid of here.

Warmly,

Frank
Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:13 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Is it worth us bringing our wardrobes with us, or is that a waste of time ?
Oh, you should bring some things from your wardrobe. Boas and feathers are essential for the Pride Parade, for example.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

On 2 reccies I have viewed 30+ houses in NS and never seen one without built in closets. I have heard of some people bringing decent quality wardrobes and converting them into TV cabinets (unless you can think of something better to do in your bedroom than watch TV!)
Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:39 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Frank'n Sense
Don't bring them unless you love them. A bedroom, at least here in BC, must have a closet (built-in wardrobe) in order to be called a bedroom. Otherwise it is a nook or den.
Same in Manitoba.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks All

Think we'll leave them, they are quite nice ones (very old) but there doesn't sound like there is any need for them
Old Apr 13th 2008, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

The closets in our kids' rooms are not very big (only single door not double). We brought their wardrobes, partly because I had bought them with money I inherited when my Gran died, so felt emotionally attached to them.

We then put more shelves in the built-in closets and all their toys and clutter go in there (well, in theory - in practice just the ones that aren't spread all over the floor go in there) and then they have their clothes in the wardrobes.