Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

getting married in the USA

getting married in the USA

Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

drifter has a spectacular aura aboutdrifter has a spectacular aura aboutdrifter has a spectacular aura about
Question getting married in the USA

Right then, this is where things get complicated.

OH is American. Large family in the North West USA. We're planning on a wedding in the late summer of '09. I'm British on a TWP, possibly PR by then, living in BC.

Plan is for me to cross the border just for the wedding and preparation, and then return to Canada.

The OH is not currently sure about USA or Canada afterwards and won't be for a long while yet. We'll deal with longer-term relocation after the wedding. I don't need any helpful comments there...

What do I need in the way of visas etc for going in to the USA just for the wedding, and then returning? Can I do this on the VWP? really can't work it out from CIC / DHS.

Ta muchly!
Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting married in the USA

You can do this on the VWP. Be prepared to have plenty of evidence of ties to Canada, however. If the US border inspectors think you are intending to stay in the US after the wedding, they won't let you in.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

drifter has a spectacular aura aboutdrifter has a spectacular aura aboutdrifter has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: getting married in the USA

Originally Posted by Bill_S
You can do this on the VWP. Be prepared to have plenty of evidence of ties to Canada, however. If the US border inspectors think you are intending to stay in the US after the wedding, they won't let you in.
Thanks!

Anyone else got experiences to add? And not just ' well, I'd take a mastercard and amex as well, weddings get expensive...'