Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Video from an angry immigrant on why not to move to Canada

Video from an angry immigrant on why not to move to Canada

Old Jul 19th 2023, 12:55 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Video from an angry immigrant on why not to move to Canada

Originally Posted by DMajor
That's if I make it to 65, thought the age was 67 now for pensions etc..
Not in Canada.
Old Jul 19th 2023, 4:56 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlKbssRy5aM

It's hard to argue with his points. Canada isn't the same place I immigrated to 14 years ago, the price of housing is completely out of control, the healthcare system has lost a lot of doctors (some from burn out during the pandemic). I feel lucky that I purchased a home when I did but it shouldn't be this way, it's profoundly unfair and wrong to have bought at the "right time" just to have a roof over your head.
This isn't dissimilar to many Western countries these days, especially when it comes to housing. Using the UK as an example, when the pound coin came out in the early 80s it cost about 4 times the average income to buy a house. Today it's more like 8+ times the average income to buy a regular house - and even more in some areas.

The figures aren't dissimilar in the cities of Canada, US and Oz if one does comparisons of average income vs average houseprices over the last 40 years. There's clearly some serious problems with the housing markets which means more and more people are buying later or not at all (and people also wonder why people have children later as a result - and why governments then say they need more immigrants because their citizens aren't having enough children).

If you come from a part of the world where it's still possible to buy a home on a single income and keep a family in a modest lifestyle the west will be quite a shock. And to hear from people (especially Boomers) who bought their homes 40+ years ago that younger people are just lazy and need to 'work harder' when it's much harder to buy a regular home in or near a city than it was in their day probably explains why some people resent those who came before them.

Canada sounds like the UK in terms of healthcare these days as well. One does wonder what the end result of this will be, because the policies of all major parties seem to be aligned to continuing the current course. It seems policies are judged on how nice they sound rather than their measured outcomes.

Old Jul 19th 2023, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Fairly level headed piece and seen within its specific context, i.e. of immigrating to Canada, hard to argue with. It is irrelevant if it is better, worse, or the same in th UK or OZ - what is it like in Canada? This video gives a pretty good view.
Old Jul 20th 2023, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

The average wage in Ontario according to 'Dundas Life' is $55k but outside the GTA it's much lower.
I'd say the average house price is at least ten times that so the gap is widening. Many have given up hope of ever owning a property especially with the current interest rates around 6%..