Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Video from an angry immigrant on why not to move to Canada

Video from an angry immigrant on why not to move to Canada

Old Jul 5th 2023, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Video from an angry immigrant on why not to move to Canada

It's hard to argue with his points. Canada isn't the same place I immigrated to 14 years ago, the price of housing is completely out of control, the healthcare system has lost a lot of doctors (some from burn out during the pandemic). I feel lucky that I purchased a home when I did but it shouldn't be this way, it's profoundly unfair and wrong to have bought at the "right time" just to have a roof over your head.
Old Jul 5th 2023, 1:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Video from an angry immigrant on why not to move to Canada

Blimey, he makes me want to argue for Canada.

Yes, it's true that people can't afford houses but that's true in loads of countries; I came here for the cheap houses (compared to London) and while Toronto and Vancouver are still cheaper than London, it's not the spectacular difference anymore. Still where are you going to go? Australia isn't cheap now either.

The point about healthcare just isn't true, anyone can see a doctor tonight if they wish.

Moaning about the government is what it is. He doesn't make any specific point about the government, he just doesn't like the government, whoever it is.

I guess he's in Vancouver. He seems to have Albertan attitudes but his claims about homelessness, the cost of housing, and lack of doctors suggest Vancouver.

Point five is the same as point one.

He's completely misunderstood the housing market and immigration policy. The economy is not based on immigration and the housing market is not based on the income of people who live in Canada.

All in all, moving to Canada is an economic choice, if you can't get more consumer durables out of it, you shouldn't go. It's not a scam as claimed, no one cares if you make that choice or not.

Old Jul 12th 2023, 9:12 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Blimey, he makes me want to argue for Canada.

Yes, it's true that people can't afford houses but that's true in loads of countries; I came here for the cheap houses (compared to London) and while Toronto and Vancouver are still cheaper than London, it's not the spectacular difference anymore. Still where are you going to go? Australia isn't cheap now either.

The point about healthcare just isn't true, anyone can see a doctor tonight if they wish.

Moaning about the government is what it is. He doesn't make any specific point about the government, he just doesn't like the government, whoever it is.

I guess he's in Vancouver. He seems to have Albertan attitudes but his claims about homelessness, the cost of housing, and lack of doctors suggest Vancouver.

Point five is the same as point one.

He's completely misunderstood the housing market and immigration policy. The economy is not based on immigration and the housing market is not based on the income of people who live in Canada.

All in all, moving to Canada is an economic choice, if you can't get more consumer durables out of it, you shouldn't go. It's not a scam as claimed, no one cares if you make that choice or not.
I almost disagree about seeing a Dr same day. A lot of walk in clinics where I am will only allow a visit if your family Dr is at the clinic. The waiting list as such for a family Dr is huge. We are lucky, we have an interview with a family Dr at the end of August, hopefully we'll be accepted. ER wait times are upwards of 12 hrs.

**there is no 1 waiting list for a family Dr, the advice is to call each clinic monthly to see if there is an opening and to ask friends to ask their Dr.
Old Jul 12th 2023, 9:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I almost disagree about seeing a Dr same day. A lot of walk in clinics where I am will only allow a visit if your family Dr is at the clinic. The waiting list as such for a family Dr is huge. We are lucky, we have an interview with a family Dr at the end of August, hopefully we'll be accepted. ER wait times are upwards of 12 hrs.

**there is no 1 waiting list for a family Dr, the advice is to call each clinic monthly to see if there is an opening and to ask friends to ask their Dr.
I don't think I've ever had a family doctor, not for 25 years anyway. I really don't get that concept. If I'm sick I go to a walk-in clinic and see a doctor, sometimes a clinic near home is convenient, sometimes one near work.
Old Jul 12th 2023, 10:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I've ever had a family doctor, not for 25 years anyway. I really don't get that concept. If I'm sick I go to a walk-in clinic and see a doctor, sometimes a clinic near home is convenient, sometimes one near work.
I think the idea is that "your" family doctor knows you and when you present with something new, what he knows about you might provide a better picture than with a stranger.

But this - like many things - must depend on the individual. Mine can't even remember why you're there.
Doc "What brings you in today?"
Patient "Uh...your secretary said you wanted to see me..."
He never had the foggiest idea what drugs he was prescribing might be financially out of reach or, worse, what might interact with something you were already on. If the pharmacy can spot it, your doctor should one would think.

On the plus side, we never had a problem getting seen "today" or next day at worst. But I don't think that's the case now.
Old Jul 13th 2023, 3:22 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

As I said it is becoming more common for walk in clinics to only take you IF it's the clinic your family Dr is at.

Also my husband is on Dialysis so a Dr that knows him is important.

As a woman I can only get a full physical (pap) if I have seen that Dr before and they are willing to the relevant tests. I am supposed to have yearly tests
I may not get one until I have a family Dr.
Old Jul 14th 2023, 4:17 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
As I said it is becoming more common for walk in clinics to only take you IF it's the clinic your family Dr is at.

Also my husband is on Dialysis so a Dr that knows him is important.

As a woman I can only get a full physical (pap) if I have seen that Dr before and they are willing to the relevant tests. I am supposed to have yearly tests
I may not get one until I have a family Dr.
Apparently you can go to a Women's Health Clinic to get this done.
Old Jul 15th 2023, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by bats
Apparently you can go to a Women's Health Clinic to get this done.
thanks. I'll check it out.
Old Jul 17th 2023, 4:37 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I tried the family doctor thing.

They constantly refer you to their pals for things you don't need to milk your expenses plan.

Easier to just go to a walk-in than a shake down.
Old Jul 17th 2023, 2:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by JamesM
I tried the family doctor thing.

They constantly refer you to their pals for things you don't need to milk your expenses plan.

Easier to just go to a walk-in than a shake down.

otoh, I have a new dentist. A luxo-dentist. While he works the mouth, assistants massage the patient's hands and feet. I was ready to be asked if I wanted a happy ending.
Old Jul 17th 2023, 6:10 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

otoh, I have a new dentist. A luxo-dentist. While he works the mouth, assistants massage the patient's hands and feet. I was ready to be asked if I wanted a happy ending.
I had a similar experience during the pandemic when only dentists with certain set ups were allowed to open.

We wasted 5 minutes trying to figure out what I wanted to watch on Netflix. I insisted on not watching anything but they persisted.

The appointment was $50 more than my regular dental practices clean.

That is a lot of Netflix.

Old Jul 17th 2023, 6:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I was ready to be asked if I wanted a happy ending.
Originally Posted by JamesM
I had a similar experience...The appointment was $50 more than my regular dental practices clean.
That is a lot of Netflix.
If I didn't know you better I'd think your definition of a happy ending was different to dbd's.
Old Jul 18th 2023, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlKbssRy5aM

It's hard to argue with his points. Canada isn't the same place I immigrated to 14 years ago, the price of housing is completely out of control, the healthcare system has lost a lot of doctors (some from burn out during the pandemic). I feel lucky that I purchased a home when I did but it shouldn't be this way, it's profoundly unfair and wrong to have bought at the "right time" just to have a roof over your head.
I agree with a lot of what he says..
The only way to make a small fortune in Canada is to arrive with a large one (and watch it disappear)
We're digging into our savings just to stay afloat, many like us in our small town..
Old Jul 18th 2023, 8:23 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by DMajor
I agree with a lot of what he says..
The only way to make a small fortune in Canada is to arrive with a large one (and watch it disappear)
We're digging into our savings just to stay afloat, many like us in our small town..
I dunno...if you've been doing okay on a modest income it's possible to start thriving at age 65 when the government throws money at you for becoming a Senior.
Old Jul 18th 2023, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

DMajor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I dunno...if you've been doing okay on a modest income it's possible to start thriving at age 65 when the government throws money at you for becoming a Senior.
That's if I make it to 65, thought the age was 67 now for pensions etc..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.