Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Vancouver or Toronto?

Vancouver or Toronto?

Old May 31st 2007, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

sweetnesspink is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vancouver or Toronto?

Out of these two, which is your favourite and why?
Old May 31st 2007, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver or Toronto?

Vancouver, because I've lived there before and know it well.

I know nothing about Toronto so can't comment on that one.

Really, you've got to spend time somewhere before you can appreciate it.

Otherwise it's all just internet heresay
Old May 31st 2007, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Vancouver... warmer, friendlier and WAY more beautiful...

I found T.O cold, grumpy and hated spending most of my life inside and underground!
Old May 31st 2007, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

JimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really nice

For us - Vancouver - no doubt about it.

We lived and worked in Toronto last year and returned to Vancouver as fast as we could.

Toronto - hot, humid, polluted, poor air quality in the summer, too "big city, work is everything" takes forever to get out of the city, terrible driving conditions.

Vancouver - warm summers, mild winters, beautiful scenery, the ocean and mountains on your doorstep, slightly less bad driving conditions, little pollution for a city this size - just feels like home to us.

But as always it's a personal thing - I have friends in Toronto who can't stand the thought of living in Vancouver.

Last edited by JimandNic; May 31st 2007 at 7:23 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 1:01 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto. It's alive.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

sweetnesspink is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dingbat
Toronto. It's alive.
I thought I was dead set on moving to Toronto but I just don't knooooooooow.

I'm only going for 8 months to begin with so I want to make the most of it.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:34 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Vancouver is a little too up itself for my liking.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Souvenir
And Toronto isn't?
Old Jun 14th 2007, 10:55 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The TWs
And Toronto isn't?
Perhaps. I have no great affection for Toronto but I found Vancouver to be rather smug. It has a great location, sure, but as someone once said of another stunning place: "Austria would be great if it wasn't for all the f*****g Austrians".
Old Jun 14th 2007, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Souvenir
All the men I spoke to when I was in Vancouver said the women were 'full of themselves', I guess I was a breath of fresh air.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 3:08 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Wouldnt want to live in either frankly, too crowded, too expensive.

If I had to choose Id say Vancouver. Ive not been, but at least its not Toronto.

Mountains / Ocean / Willmore proximity too. And no Toronto summer or winter to deal with, and maybe no mosquitos.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
Wouldnt want to live in either frankly, too crowded, too expensive.

If I had to choose Id say Vancouver. Ive not been, but at least its not Toronto.

Mountains / Ocean / Willmore proximity too. And no Toronto summer or winter to deal with, and maybe no mosquitos.
No we have mosquitoes and wasps, but no black flies!.....
Old Jun 14th 2007, 4:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Despite the widely held belief to the contrary, the air pollution in Vancouver and the Lower Fraser Valley can actually be quite a lot worse than in Toronto/GTA.

I have to say that when I've been in Vancouver I felt cut off from the rest of the world by the ocean and the mountains. A bit like living in NZ I would think.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 5:15 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I have to say that when I've been in Vancouver I felt cut off from the rest of the world by the ocean and the mountains.
That's the whole point.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 6:32 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Despite the widely held belief to the contrary, the air pollution in Vancouver and the Lower Fraser Valley can actually be quite a lot worse than in Toronto/GTA.

I have to say that when I've been in Vancouver I felt cut off from the rest of the world by the ocean and the mountains. A bit like living in NZ I would think.
JimandNic's posting is much more accurate. I think it would be a good idea if those living in Toronto give info about that city, and those in Vancouver give info about Vancouver. Much more accurate than one slagging the other off.

Sad to say, I've never been to TO, but I do hear that it's the centre of the universe, LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.