British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Vancouver or Toronto? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/vancouver-toronto-454650/)

sweetnesspink May 31st 2007 11:34 am

Vancouver or Toronto?

Out of these two, which is your favourite and why?

Iain Mc May 31st 2007 1:48 pm

Re: Vancouver or Toronto?

Vancouver, because I've lived there before and know it well.

I know nothing about Toronto so can't comment on that one.

Really, you've got to spend time somewhere before you can appreciate it.

Otherwise it's all just internet heresay :)

The TWs May 31st 2007 2:40 pm

Vancouver... warmer, friendlier and WAY more beautiful...

I found T.O cold, grumpy and hated spending most of my life inside and underground!

JimandNic May 31st 2007 7:19 pm

For us - Vancouver - no doubt about it.:thumbsup:

We lived and worked in Toronto last year and returned to Vancouver as fast as we could.

Toronto - hot, humid, polluted, poor air quality in the summer, too "big city, work is everything" takes forever to get out of the city, terrible driving conditions.

Vancouver - warm summers, mild winters, beautiful scenery, the ocean and mountains on your doorstep, slightly less bad driving conditions, little pollution for a city this size - just feels like home to us.

But as always it's a personal thing - I have friends in Toronto who can't stand the thought of living in Vancouver. :blink:

dingbat Jun 1st 2007 1:01 am

Toronto. It's alive. ;)

sweetnesspink Jun 14th 2007 9:50 am

Originally Posted by dingbat (Post 4858163)
Toronto. It's alive. ;)

I thought I was dead set on moving to Toronto but I just don't knooooooooow.

I'm only going for 8 months to begin with so I want to make the most of it.

Souvenir Jun 14th 2007 10:34 am

Vancouver is a little too up itself for my liking.

The TWs Jun 14th 2007 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Souvenir (Post 4912610)

And Toronto isn't?

Souvenir Jun 14th 2007 10:55 am

Originally Posted by The TWs (Post 4912689)
And Toronto isn't?

Perhaps. I have no great affection for Toronto but I found Vancouver to be rather smug. It has a great location, sure, but as someone once said of another stunning place: "Austria would be great if it wasn't for all the f*****g Austrians".

Canuck Fan Jun 14th 2007 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir (Post 4912610)

All the men I spoke to when I was in Vancouver said the women were 'full of themselves', I guess I was a breath of fresh air.

Notiaink...honest Jun 14th 2007 3:08 pm

Wouldnt want to live in either frankly, too crowded, too expensive.

If I had to choose Id say Vancouver. Ive not been, but at least its not Toronto:).

Mountains / Ocean / Willmore proximity too. And no Toronto summer or winter to deal with, and maybe no mosquitos.

willmore Jun 14th 2007 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest (Post 4913824)
Wouldnt want to live in either frankly, too crowded, too expensive.

If I had to choose Id say Vancouver. Ive not been, but at least its not Toronto:).

Mountains / Ocean / Willmore proximity too. And no Toronto summer or winter to deal with, and maybe no mosquitos.

No we have mosquitoes and wasps, but no black flies!.....;)

Novocastrian Jun 14th 2007 4:00 pm

Despite the widely held belief to the contrary, the air pollution in Vancouver and the Lower Fraser Valley can actually be quite a lot worse than in Toronto/GTA.

I have to say that when I've been in Vancouver I felt cut off from the rest of the world by the ocean and the mountains. A bit like living in NZ I would think.

hot wasabi peas Jun 14th 2007 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 4914131)
I have to say that when I've been in Vancouver I felt cut off from the rest of the world by the ocean and the mountains.

That's the whole point. :thumbup:

startwin Jun 14th 2007 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 4914131)
Despite the widely held belief to the contrary, the air pollution in Vancouver and the Lower Fraser Valley can actually be quite a lot worse than in Toronto/GTA.

I have to say that when I've been in Vancouver I felt cut off from the rest of the world by the ocean and the mountains. A bit like living in NZ I would think.

JimandNic's posting is much more accurate. I think it would be a good idea if those living in Toronto give info about that city, and those in Vancouver give info about Vancouver. Much more accurate than one slagging the other off.

Sad to say, I've never been to TO, but I do hear that it's the centre of the universe, LOL.:rofl: