Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

vacationing with a camper trailer

vacationing with a camper trailer

Old Aug 30th 2017, 6:51 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: vacationing with a camper trailer

Originally Posted by dbd33
Is that the Colin Chapman Edition?
no clue
Old Aug 30th 2017, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Thats my dream except we leave Jan 1st and return end May.
They literally made a life for themselves down there. The trailer even had an area to put the Harleys which turned in to deck once at the site... I agree, quite the dream... although I want to travel further so it'll have to be a plane and fancy hotels for me! lol
Old Aug 30th 2017, 7:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
no clue
It's a joke. Colin Chapman was a famous car designer, his credo was "add lightness".
Old Aug 30th 2017, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

It's a joke. Colin Chapman was a famous car designer, his credo was "add lightness".
Then in this case more like the Fred Flintstone edition...
Old Aug 30th 2017, 7:29 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, thought it might be but my boss was floating around so no time to google
Old Aug 30th 2017, 7:53 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The amount they will be spending on gas and campsite fees will enable you to travel to the same destinations in your car, arriving earlier affording more time to see things, spend your nights in a nice hotel, eat at nice eateries and still have money left over. Granted, one can save the campsite fees by parking in a Walmart parking lot, but that isn’t my idea of a great time.

I get why some people like using a trailer to live in when staying in a single location for days at a time, but I see no benefit at all in using such things to travel from place to place.

Hotels are certainly not cheap- especially one that you describe - if away out in them a lot, whether at one spot or several, you wouldnt be eating out all the time and nor would you need to.
With a class B van, a couple could have the best of both worlds and easily move from A to B and stay fairly cheaply on campsites. Admittedly the cost of the vehicles isnt cheap.
This one is the Rolls Royce of Class Bs, an Airstream Interstate but it is a crazy price ...I can dream There are cheaper variants- the European modern designs are getting over here, way better than the travelling dark bricks that people use here
Attached Thumbnails vacationing with a camper trailer-selling-your-soul-....png   vacationing with a camper trailer-second-part-my-soul.jpg  
Old Aug 30th 2017, 8:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Hotels are certainly not cheap- especially one that you describe - if away out in them a lot, whether at one spot or several, you wouldnt be eating out all the time and nor would you need to.
With a class B van, a couple could have the best of both worlds and easily move from A to B and stay fairly cheaply on campsites. Admittedly the cost of the vehicles isnt cheap.
This one is the Rolls Royce of Class Bs, an Airstream Interstate but it is a crazy price ...I can dream There are cheaper variants- the European modern designs are getting over here, way better than the travelling dark bricks that people use here
Prces are way lower in the US, though I'm not sure what you would need to do to bring one in.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 9:17 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

yep- When we get one at some stage we will look down there. You cannot buy new from the US and they can't buy from Canada. I would buy newish but second hand to avoid big depreciation anyhow

It isn't tricky them here- we thought of getting an old Airstream and stripping it down and renovating it

Last edited by Stinkypup; Aug 30th 2017 at 9:20 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 9:36 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

In the late 60's while camping through BC and Alberta with my parents (in a rented tent trailer) we met a family recently returned/retired from a military career mostly spent in Europe, and their tent was amazing.. decades ahead of what was available in Canada at the time. I think he said they got it in France but I'm not sure. If there is a new generation of RV coming from Europe it should be nice.
Old Aug 30th 2017, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Those are the ones one frequently sees people towing their cars behind.

Since deciding not to purchase one myself, I have taken many trips with a friend that has both a tow trailer and a Class B. $200 a day in gas is not unusual and, for that alone, one could pay for meals and stay somewhere decent (I accept that a car uses gas too). Filling water, emptying the crap and having to purchase food to cook takes lots of time. Not a particular issue if one intends to stay in one place for some time, but I would not wish to have to do that regularly.

I get that some people do, but it not for me.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 12:26 am
I need a walk

Since deciding not to purchase one myself, I have taken many trips with a friend that has both a tow trailer and a Class B. $200 a day in gas is not unusual and, for that alone, one could pay for meals and stay somewhere decent (I accept that a car uses gas too). Filling water, emptying the crap and having to purchase food to cook takes lots of time. Not a particular issue if one intends to stay in one place for some time, but I would not wish to have to do that regularly.

I have a hunch that you are thinking of a class A or C- class B as in my above post - post - #66- 19-23ft on a Sprinter base or Ram base- average 18mpg. They can tow but not a lot. Class Vs can fit in a normal parking space- there would be no reason to tow

Last edited by Stinkypup; Aug 31st 2017 at 12:29 am.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 1:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

An RV these days might be cheaper then renting an apartment + having a car in Vancouver these days, best of both worlds house and car in one....
Old Aug 31st 2017, 1:07 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
...best of both worlds house and car in one....
Buy a nice plane, something like Airforce One. As well as house and car in one you can permanently park it at work.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

My wife's uncle lives in NB and he calculated it was $300 in gas/oil/repairs to get from Moncton to Edmonston, NB..basically one end of the province to the other in his 37' Winnebago. Add to that insurance, gadgets for the thing etc and it gets expensive. Plus you are limited in how far into a city you really want to drive it. Also add the cost of a camp site for the night..and it must have electricity, sewage etc.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 11:52 am
Happy

We have a mitsubishi outlander, the type that apparently cant tow a damn thing (typical!)
My friend in the UK pulls her 3 berth caravan with her Golf.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.