US Election Debate

Old Oct 16th 2012, 9:44 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Election Debate

Originally Posted by caretaker
I've read that up to 20% of American voters believe Obama is a Muslim, and I find that really hard to fathom. Is that possible? Not him being Muslim, that many people being that ignorant. I was scared, at first, of him being a Baptist, but now that he's up against a Mormon that's ok.
I am not sure it should be that surprising, what with his step father being a Muslim and him going to school in a Islamic country as a child. The ignorance is assuming that being Muslim makes him any less qualified to do the job than any other variety of religion.

Last edited by kimilseung; Oct 16th 2012 at 9:47 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 2:33 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Is it me or do others find these debates regress to a bit at the chavy level?
Old Oct 17th 2012, 11:10 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I am not sure it should be that surprising, what with his step father being a Muslim and him going to school in a Islamic country as a child. The ignorance is assuming that being Muslim makes him any less qualified to do the job than any other variety of religion.
Before Obama became president his church activity was front and centre in Republican generated press because one of the Pastors at his former church had made some controversial statements, and it turns out Obama was a Deacon or some sort of lay minister in the Baptist Church. It was all over the news. I would assume being Muslim would make him unsuitable for the presidency just as being Jewish would - even though those two demographics are huge voting blocs in the US. You couldn't expect a president of either faith to be impartial about the middle east. Even if he wasn't biased the public would never believe it. I think the doubters who say he is a Muslim and think his birth certificate is fake so he isn't even an American are likely also part of the crowd with their mouths hanging open wondering how a black man got into the oval office. I'd like to see world leaders with no religious affiliations at all, just because God Given Rights or Manifest Destiny has been used as an excuse for war all through recorded history. Of course the Soviet Union and North Korea proved that Godless States fail as well, if only through diverting their resources to arm themselves against the rest of the world. Perhaps the second you say the aim of your philosophy is world domination you've defeated yourself. In short, he's a Baptist and Romney's a Mormon and I'm calling the Baptist the lesser of two evils.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't able to watch last night's debate. Anyone care to provide a summary?
Old Oct 17th 2012, 4:13 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Obama didn't lose, neither did he win.... carry on.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Romney probably started better and Obama got stronger as it went on. Overall probably a draw. It was interesting to see them walking around the stage "occupying" each others space. Unfortunately it didn't get to the stage of jabbing microphones in each others face............
Old Oct 17th 2012, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Obama didn't lose, neither did he win.... carry on.
Originally Posted by jimf
Romney probably started better and Obama got stronger as it went on. Overall probably a draw. It was interesting to see them walking around the stage "occupying" each others space. Unfortunately it didn't get to the stage of jabbing microphones in each others face............
Thank you.

I didn't, until very recently, realise how old Romney is. In light of the fact that much was made of McCain's age last time, I am surprised more hasn't been made of it this time. Although, granted, Romney doesn't have Palin as a running mate.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

I didn't, until very recently, realise how old Romney is. In light of the fact that much was made of McCain's age last time, I am surprised more hasn't been made of it this time. Although, granted, Romney doesn't have Palin as a running mate.
I hadn't realised Romney was 65. I don't recall his age being mentioned as an issue at all in the media.

It the end of the debate there was no handshake between the contenders. it's pretty clear they detest each other.

Romney has generally come over better than I would have expected.

Biden seems to be a John Prescot type character to bring in the white/union vote. I hadn't heard of Paul Ryan until Niall Ferguson mentioned him in a programme earlier this year.

Only a month or so to go?
Old Oct 18th 2012, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I thought that this was quite good:

Old Oct 18th 2012, 6:35 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

So we know that Romney, based on his religion and beliefs is against Gays, abortion, same sex marriage et al

Hmmmm....already lost those votes me think