Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Unionville/Markham ontario.....

Unionville/Markham ontario.....

Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unionville/Markham ontario.....

Originally Posted by dbd33
Happy to hear Dude's doing well, the remaining siblings do much the same.

The long time Orangeviller is the OH's boss. As a someone who's been gay and out in rural Ontario for twenty-five years he's had some, er, unusual experiences. He used to own a bar here, "not a gay bar, there were only three of us in the county - more a place families could come to, but with drag acts".
Sounds like a good place to visit. Why did it close down I wonder?
Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh! dbd33, while you're on here, you're just the chap who would know if you could get beer in cans in the UK in the mid-70's.
I can answer that, the answer is yes. A couple of friends lived on top of the brewery, he was one of the brewers. A perk of the job was being able to buy a cheap box of underfilled cans.

And of course, there were party 7's in the late 60s
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:21 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
I can answer that, the answer is yes. A couple of friends lived on top of the brewery, he was one of the brewers. A perk of the job was being able to buy a cheap box of underfilled cans.

And of course, there were party 7's in the late 60s
Thangyew. Supplementary. Did we call them cans or tins?
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh! dbd33, while you're on here, you're just the chap who would know if you could get beer in cans in the UK in the mid-70's.

Party fours, party sevens, smaller tins but not all brands, McEwan's Tartan was one I recall.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
Sounds like a good place to visit. Why did it close down I wonder?

He closed it because drinking in rural Ontario inevitably involves driving and the province was becoming more litigious; he was concerned about being sued by a drunk patron after an accident. He then opened a bar in the Virgin Islands while continuing to operate some antique shops here.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Thangyew. Supplementary. Did we call them cans or tins?
We called them cans. Except in the case of party 7s when we called them *!*!*@*!, cos you couldnt get into them without getting beer all over the ceiling.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 11:10 pm
JLT
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sutton Coldfield UK until I return to Toronto 2009 or earlier!!
JLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by leepee
Hiya...

We are currently contemplating a move from Calgary to Ontario...Just wondering if anyone knows the area around Unionville/Markham/Richmond Hill...I know the schools are good there and reasonably easy access to Toronto...I am wondering more about the 'look/feel' of the area. I guess we are hoping for a slightly more 'small town' feel....Don't know anything except what I have seen on the internet so any thoughts very welcome...
Thanks
Lisa
Hi Lisa

My place of work is located on Main street Unionville I also live around the area too. You will find the small town community feel if you stick to buying within a close proximity to the main street otherwise you will get into the sprawl of just housing. Unionville and Olde Markham main street have some wonderful events throughout the year for the community. So pretty in the winter as they have a horse and carriage giving rides very nostalgic with the snow. Gets very busy in the summer when all the patios are open for people watching so to speak...... and lots of cute little shops, super restaurants. You will pay a premium for living within the main street but I am sure coming from Calgary on how prices have jumped you will be OK. Check out markham town website on I believe is called guiding star for local info and pictures........Hope this info helps you and good luck.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 11:22 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLT
Hi Lisa

My place of work is located on Main street Unionville I also live around the area too. You will find the small town community feel if you stick to buying within a close proximity to the main street otherwise you will get into the sprawl of just housing. Unionville and Olde Markham main street have some wonderful events throughout the year for the community. So pretty in the winter as they have a horse and carriage giving rides very nostalgic with the snow. Gets very busy in the summer when all the patios are open for people watching so to speak...... and lots of cute little shops, super restaurants. You will pay a premium for living within the main street but I am sure coming from Calgary on how prices have jumped you will be OK. Check out markham town website on I believe is called guiding star for local info and pictures........Hope this info helps you and good luck.
Waves to JLT. Are you back in Unionville yet, or still in the UK?

To the OP: the equivalent bit of Richmond Hill is the Mill Pond area.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

Hi JLT....
Thanks so much for the useful bit!!!!
I got that feeling about central Unionville....Problem is now it might be southern California!!! Still...prices def going down there!!!!
Old Apr 12th 2008, 12:41 am
Born again atheist

Hi JLT....
I got that feeling about central Unionville....Problem is now it might be southern California!!! Still...prices def going down there!!!!
Eh?

Ah! You mean that Ontario is off the radar and you're considering So.Cal. instead?

I've lived there. Don't do it if you're over 30 and/or have kids.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 10:13 am
JLT
BE Enthusiast

JLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant futureJLT has a brilliant future

Waves to JLT. Are you back in Unionville yet, or still in the UK?

To the OP: the equivalent bit of Richmond Hill is the Mill Pond area.
Hi Neighbor

Funny you should ask and you do keep an eye on what goes on in the forum I am impressed. I have just received an e-mail from my boss asking what date I am returning. Things are still up in the air at the mo with my daughter so I just need to get her settled somewhat.....little nervracking over here to just get up and return back.....am I confused or what!!!

And yes Mill Pond is a great area I luv it one of my sons lives there same feel as Toogood Pond and being on Younge is great to get to all the great persian kebab places to eat that I miss soooo much.
See ya neighbor
Old Apr 12th 2008, 10:16 am
JLT
BE Enthusiast

Hi JLT....
Nice weather en all but think very carefully over areas to be in!! Check out statistics maybe? Good luck again....
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:04 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by JLT
And yes Mill Pond is a great area I luv it one of my sons lives there same feel as Toogood Pond and being on Younge is great to get to all the great persian kebab places to eat that I miss soooo much.
See ya neighbor

Mom???
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:10 pm
JLT
BE Enthusiast

Mom???
My gosh you are up early, whats up no decent beer last night!? Anyhow my oldest son is 24 think you are little older than that bud?
Old Apr 12th 2008, 1:25 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by JLT
My gosh you are up early, whats up no decent beer last night!? Anyhow my oldest son is 24 think you are little older than that bud?
Well, only a little.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.