Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

UK pension process please!

UK pension process please!

Old Oct 7th 2022, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough
Default UK pension process please!

Hi everyone.

1- Would you please advise about the steps of getting the UK pension here in Canada,?
2- what are the implications (tax wise) of receiving it here in Canada ?
3-Does UK have something similar to Old Age Security? if so, please say more
4-My British Husband turned 65 last year. he did indeed receive a letter from UK, But, he could not do anything about as he was busy with me (i had a brain hemorrhage and brain surgery around the time that letter arrived.). i am only starting to get back to life bit by bit after a very difficult year. what are the implications of him being late of not getting back to them on time? for example will he receive the pension of the missing months of the past year? is there any other impact of him being late getting back to them?
5-
How long does take it between replying to their letter and starting to receive his pension?
6-we got married in Canada, so, the British authorities don't know about me as his wife, are they any implications of this?

i am aware that these questions could have been answered before here, But, I am unable to do any search as I used to do before because I had developed an eye condition after the stroke: I lost the left eye field of both eyes. I took a good deal of time just to type this message ,
Thank you very much

Last edited by Yasmina2005; Oct 7th 2022 at 10:04 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2022, 12:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK pension process please!

Originally Posted by Yasmina2005
Hi everyone.

1- Would you please advise about the steps of getting the UK pension here in Canada,?
4-My British Husband turned 65 last year. he did indeed receive a letter from UK, But, he could not do anything about as he was busy with me (i had a brain hemorrhage and brain surgery around the time that letter arrived.). i am only starting to get back to life bit by bit after a very difficult year. what are the implications of him being late of not getting back to them on time? for example will he receive the pension of the missing months of the past year? is there any other impact of him being late getting back to them?
5-
How long does take it between replying to their letter and starting to receive his pension?
6-we got married in Canada, so, the British authorities don't know about me as his wife, are they any implications of this?

i am aware that these questions could have been answered before here, But, I am unable to do any search as I used to do before because I had developed an eye condition after the stroke: I lost the left eye field of both eyes. I took a good deal of time just to type this message ,
Thank you very much
I pay a company to deal with my UK pension. I pay them because I am lazy and it suits me not to have to bother with it, The fee is not large. In your circumstances I would absolutely engage a consultancy of this type.

www.uk2canadapensiontransfers.com is the firm I use. (link doesn't work, cut and paste the site name and that does)

Last edited by dbd33; Oct 8th 2022 at 12:48 am.
Old Oct 8th 2022, 1:11 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to hear you've been I'll, I hope you continue to recover.

This is the link you need for the UK state pension which is the equivalent to OAShttps://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad
​​​​​​There's another link on that page that takes you to the form you need. For tax there's another form to complete that informs both tax authorities that you are a Canadian tax resident so you pay tax on it in Canada not the UK. I'll look for the link for that

It doesn't matter about being married, it's the same amount.
this is the link to claim a deferred pension

https://www.gov.uk/deferring-state-pension/how-to-claim-a-deferred-state-pension#:~:text=If%20you%20have%20deferred%20your, claim%20form%20posted%20to%20you
It's all pretty straightforward it's just that letters take time to go to and fro.

Last edited by bats; Oct 8th 2022 at 1:16 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2022, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yasmina2005
Hi everyone.

5-

Thank you very much
Hi, sorry to hear about your health issues. The process for getting the UK state pension is pretty straightforward, I wouldn't think it worthwhile paying a third party to do it for you in any but the most extreme of circumstances. When claiming mine I was a bit daunted by all the questions of the forms that I had downloaded and was going to complete and mail off to the UK. However I decided to apply by phone and I was asked a lot less questions than were on the form. So I would definately advise ringing the UK international Pension Centre. If the applicant is already eligible to be receiving the pension it's likely the IPC will backdate the payments to the date of eligibility. This is what happened to me and I got more or less a full years pension in a lump sum then the 4 weekly payments started.
You must declare the income from the UK on your Canadian tax return using the exchange rate from the Bank of Canada website and pay tax on it if necessary. There are no implications of being 'late' in replying to the UK. If he telephone the IPC it would be much quicker to start getting the payments.
There are no implications about him being married.
The UK does not have anything similar to OAS.
BEFORE making the claim it may be worth checking your husband's National Insurance record, he needs 35 years of contributions in order to get the full pension. If he does not have 35 years of contributions he will probably be able to 'buy back' some years to top up his entitlement.
You may want to consider checking out and contacting the Canadian Alliance of British Pensioners at www.britishpensions.com They are an advocacy group and can help advise and you apply. You may be aware that the UK pension is 'frozen' at the rate it is first paid at for the life of the pensioner, i.e. no annual cost of living increases. The CABP is also heavily involved in lobbying the UK to uprate all pensioners equally regardless of where they live (e.g. in the USA UK state pensioners do get annual COL raises). Membership of CABP is just $25 per annum, please join! CABP work closely with their Australian and Caribbean counterparts as pensioners there are in the same no COL increases.
Old Oct 9th 2022, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the link that 'bats' mentioned he would look for regarding not being taxed by the UK on the payments;
https://assets.publishing.service.go.../Canada-DT.pdf

HOWEVER, I have never sent this form back to the UK and I get my UK state pension paid with no tax deducted because my income from the UK is below the UK's personal tax allowance (about 12500 GBP?). If your husband was getting the state pension and maybe a personal pension that would take him over the allowance then he would likely find some tax was deducted in the UK and in that case it would be worth completing that form......
Old Oct 16th 2022, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough

thanks to all of you. much appreciated.