Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

UK to benefit from a great Canadian export.

UK to benefit from a great Canadian export.

Old Sep 1st 2016, 7:38 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to benefit from a great Canadian export.

Originally Posted by viajero

Re: TH's "iconic" status, well Timmies simply occupies the same niche as Dunkin Donuts in the States. A chain, predictable coffee shop without pretention. It's not even Canadian-owned anymore.
The difference is that Timmies is one of Canada's home grown fast food success stories, whereas Dunkin' is just another chain in the vast American fast food industry. Second Cup is the coffee chain that pretty much missed the 1990s coffee boom IIRC.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 9:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe its because I come from the land of donut shops galore who make their donuts fresh daily, but Tim's donuts are not good, not good at all. I love donuts, but I will not eat their donuts, they are no better then the crummy grocery store donuts, although Safeway is the exception they have decent donuts.

Starbucks Apple fritter is the best I have found in Canada, light years ahead of the Tims version.

Nothing good comes from that place....In my view.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 1st 2016 at 9:18 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 9:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
...no better then the crummy grocery store donuts...
I think we need to differentiate between doughnuts sold in grocery stores and those baked (or baked for?) and sold in grocery stores.

I mean there's this kind - the crummy kind

and then this kind
Attached Thumbnails UK to benefit from a great Canadian export.-img_9883.jpg  
Old Sep 1st 2016, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

For sure, that is where the exception for Safeway comes in. Super Store, Wal-Mart and Save On even the "in store" kind are not very good, and pretty close to the same as Tim's or 7/11.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I think we need to differentiate between doughnuts sold in grocery stores and those baked (or baked for?) and sold in grocery stores.

I mean there's this kind - the crummy kind

https://assets.shop.loblaws.ca/produ..._front_a01.png

and then this kind
Old Sep 1st 2016, 9:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

For sure, that is where the exception for Safeway comes in. Super Store, Wal-Mart and Save On even the "in store" kind are not very good, and pretty close to the same as Tim's or 7/11.
I can't speak for Save On or Safeway but I know Walmart's aren't good.

But the ones in Superstore here most definitely are. Soft. Fresh. Doughy. Lovely.

I'm talking about the jam ones only. Or should that be jelly?
Old Sep 1st 2016, 9:46 pm
Oscar nominated

Mind you, you have to go a long way to beat a fresh/real cream chocolate eclair from Sobeys

Old Sep 1st 2016, 10:20 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

I heard once upon a time Tim Horton's used to make their doughnuts fresh in store from scratch (hence the "always fresh" besides their brand). The Always Fresh stayed but unfortunately the doughnut production was moved to a factory and now perhaps transported freshly frozen which may explain the new taste.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 10:34 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Mind you, you have to go a long way to beat a fresh/real cream chocolate eclair from Sobeys

http://www.icecubejunkie.com/wp-cont.../05/eclair.JPG
You utter naffer. There’s absolutely no need to post such gratuitous pictures of cream cakes at 3:30 in the afternoon.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 10:36 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Oink
You utter naffer. There’s absolutely no need to post such gratuitous pictures of cream cakes at 3:30 in the afternoon.
I can't help it if you're in the wrong time zone. It was 6.46 pm here.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 10:39 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help it if you're in the wrong time zone. It was 6.46 pm here.
Fortunately, there's an Italian bakery around here that sells delicious cannolis so they'll have to do.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 10:41 pm
Account Closed

http://www.icecubejunkie.com/wp-cont.../05/eclair.JPG

Save On is good for things with cream, they use real cream, and they also have good bread and cakes, but for whatever reason they don't do well in the donut department.

Safeway is good for donuts, but not so good for cakes.

Originally Posted by Edo
I heard once upon a time Tim Horton's used to make their doughnuts fresh in store from scratch (hence the "always fresh" besides their brand). The Always Fresh stayed but unfortunately the doughnut production was moved to a factory and now perhaps transported freshly frozen which may explain the new taste.
Pretty much, they found is more cost effective to make it one place, freeze them and ship, so quality really went down, just can't get a good donut from frozen.

Luckily some donuts are easy to make, so I can make some which turn out pretty good. Hardest part is controlling the temp of the oil, too cool doesn't work, too hot and they burn before the middle is done, only tried making donut hole size (tim bits) haven't tried full size or specialty ones like long johns or jelly filled.

Originally Posted by Oink
Fortunately, there's an Italian bakery around here that sells delicious cannolis so they'll have to do.

One of many reasons I miss Vancouver, better selection of baked goods, not much to be found out in farm country...
Old Sep 1st 2016, 11:43 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Starbucks Apple fritter is the best I have found in Canada, light years ahead of the Tims version.

Nothing good comes from that place....In my view.
Blasphemous!!!

I know Starbucks fruit granola yoghurt isn't very good compared to Timmys.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I drink a lot of Tim Horton's steeped tea. Every day.

If you get a strawberry strudel with it, you only pay 20c for the strudel.

S
Old Sep 2nd 2016, 4:22 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
I understand that they are partially baked/cooked, then fast frozen, then transported to the stores where they complete the baking/cooking process - hence 'fresh baked/cooked in house'.

Not that I know anyone who might have worked at the dispensing factory or anything of course... (ok, yes I do).

Old Sep 2nd 2016, 5:53 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: UK to benefit from a great Canadian export.

Good thing about Tim Hortons is they sell coffee. After memorising a string of goobledegook that when uttered in starbucks would cause a cup of coffee to appear, I tried the same in canada, only to get a smile and the question "would you like a coffee?"

I've quite liked Tims ever since, though I'd agree Muccky Ds is probably a better gig.

Starbucks I could cheerfully burn down. The iphone of the coffee world.

Originally Posted by dave_j
Don't think so, the UK's a lot smaller than Canada and judging by the queues outside the Timmy's near us of a morning, the UK will sieze up every rush hour as the traffic jams clog up the streets.
I call these Timjams.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.