Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

UK abandons plans to switch to year-round BST

UK abandons plans to switch to year-round BST

Old Oct 31st 2011, 2:46 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK abandons plans to switch to year-round BST

I'm not particularly fussed about the issue one way or another, but articles like this one from the resident London Buffoon get my back right up and put me firmly in the "No" camp, just because he's in the "Yes".

What a pompous arse. Really.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 2:49 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK abandons plans to switch to year-round BST

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I'm not particularly fussed about the issue one way or another, but articles like this one from the resident London Buffoon get my back right up and put me firmly in the "No" camp, just because he's in the "Yes".

I didn't read it I'm afraid. As soon as I saw Boris at the top, that was it for me.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

If it's that important for those in London they can always get up an hour earlier anyway.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 3:42 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe when Scotland becomes an independent country England will be able to have EST all year round and you'll be able to, without irony, adjust for Scottish 'Summer' Time separately.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 4:07 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

If you were to believe old BJ, if it weren't for those mean old Jocks, the parks of London in January would be heaving with jolly sportsmen bathed in glorious sunshine.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 4:58 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

If you were to believe old BJ, if it weren't for those mean old Jocks, the parks of London in January would be heaving with jolly sportsmen bathed in glorious sunshine.
I was going to make a joke along the lines of that making a change from scottish tramps, but decided that might be a bit racist. And, truth be told, also a bit too easy given the obvious (and probably intended now I think about it) set up in your post.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 5:01 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It just gives the Scotch another hour to moan about how dark it is.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 5:29 pm
Lowering the tone

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I was going to make a joke along the lines of that making a change from scottish tramps, but decided that might be a bit racist. And, truth be told, also a bit too easy given the obvious (and probably intended now I think about it) set up in your post.
I'm afraid you've credited me with light where there is only darkness.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 5:30 pm
Lowering the tone

Originally Posted by Oink
It just gives the Scotch another hour to moan about how dark it is.
And gives Boris another reason to moan about the Scots.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

And gives Boris another reason to moan about the Scots.
If my travels are anything to go by, the Scots despise the English way more than the English despise the Scots.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 5:39 pm
Lowering the tone

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
If my travels are anything to go by, the Scots despise the English way more than the English despise the Scots.
I don't deny that, but certainly doesn't help matters when you have buffoons like BJ saying things like "the Scottish tail is wagging the British bulldog".

Not that I care in the slightest. I'm heading out of here in a couple of hours to fly down to Calgary and thence to Blighty for a couple of weeks. Dark or not!
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:03 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I always think it is a daft discussion because the time periods aren't really as important as the fact the days are shorter at that time of year. The time period cannot be adjusted to make up for the fact there is no daylight, you can fiddle with it as much as you want - there still isn't enough daylight to fill it.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Glasgow. It's ALWAYS dark

They should have filmed Twilight here.

I couldn't give a flying fart about an hour here or there to be honest. I get confused twice a year with this whole clocks going back/forward an hour.

And we don't all hate the Engish, just fanny's that think we're named after whiskey
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:15 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
I live in Glasgow. It's ALWAYS dark

They should have filmed Twilight here.

I couldn't give a flying fart about an hour here or there to be honest. I get confused twice a year with this whole clocks going back/forward an hour.

And we don't all hate the Engish, just fanny's that think we're named after whiskey
There's a whiskey named Dave?
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, and it's matured for Bite me years

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.