British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   UK abandons plans to switch to year-round BST (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/uk-abandons-plans-switch-year-round-bst-737436/)

Jingsamichty Oct 31st 2011 2:46 pm

UK abandons plans to switch to year-round BST

I'm not particularly fussed about the issue one way or another, but articles like this one from the resident London Buffoon get my back right up and put me firmly in the "No" camp, just because he's in the "Yes".

What a pompous arse. Really.

Tangram Oct 31st 2011 2:49 pm

Re: UK abandons plans to switch to year-round BST

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 9706344)
I'm not particularly fussed about the issue one way or another, but articles like this one from the resident London Buffoon get my back right up and put me firmly in the "No" camp, just because he's in the "Yes".

I didn't read it I'm afraid. As soon as I saw Boris at the top, that was it for me.

jimf Oct 31st 2011 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 9706344)

If it's that important for those in London they can always get up an hour earlier anyway.

Alan2005 Oct 31st 2011 3:42 pm

Maybe when Scotland becomes an independent country England will be able to have EST all year round and you'll be able to, without irony, adjust for Scottish 'Summer' Time separately.

Jingsamichty Oct 31st 2011 4:07 pm

If you were to believe old BJ, if it weren't for those mean old Jocks, the parks of London in January would be heaving with jolly sportsmen bathed in glorious sunshine.

Alan2005 Oct 31st 2011 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 9706496)
If you were to believe old BJ, if it weren't for those mean old Jocks, the parks of London in January would be heaving with jolly sportsmen bathed in glorious sunshine.

I was going to make a joke along the lines of that making a change from scottish tramps, but decided that might be a bit racist. And, truth be told, also a bit too easy given the obvious (and probably intended now I think about it) set up in your post.

Oink Oct 31st 2011 5:01 pm

It just gives the Scotch another hour to moan about how dark it is.

Jingsamichty Oct 31st 2011 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 9706584)
I was going to make a joke along the lines of that making a change from scottish tramps, but decided that might be a bit racist. And, truth be told, also a bit too easy given the obvious (and probably intended now I think about it) set up in your post.

I'm afraid you've credited me with light where there is only darkness. ;)

Jingsamichty Oct 31st 2011 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9706587)
It just gives the Scotch another hour to moan about how dark it is.

And gives Boris another reason to moan about the Scots.

Almost Canadian Oct 31st 2011 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 9706636)
And gives Boris another reason to moan about the Scots.

If my travels are anything to go by, the Scots despise the English way more than the English despise the Scots.;)

Jingsamichty Oct 31st 2011 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 9706644)
If my travels are anything to go by, the Scots despise the English way more than the English despise the Scots.;)

I don't deny that, but certainly doesn't help matters when you have buffoons like BJ saying things like "the Scottish tail is wagging the British bulldog".

Not that I care in the slightest. I'm heading out of here in a couple of hours to fly down to Calgary and thence to Blighty for a couple of weeks. Dark or not!

Steve_ Nov 1st 2011 6:03 pm

I always think it is a daft discussion because the time periods aren't really as important as the fact the days are shorter at that time of year. The time period cannot be adjusted to make up for the fact there is no daylight, you can fiddle with it as much as you want - there still isn't enough daylight to fill it.

Dave n Ailsa Nov 1st 2011 6:26 pm

I live in Glasgow. It's ALWAYS dark :rofl:

They should have filmed Twilight here.

I couldn't give a flying fart about an hour here or there to be honest. I get confused twice a year with this whole clocks going back/forward an hour.

And we don't all hate the Engish, just fanny's that think we're named after whiskey ;)

el_richo Nov 1st 2011 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa (Post 9708832)
I live in Glasgow. It's ALWAYS dark :rofl:

They should have filmed Twilight here.

I couldn't give a flying fart about an hour here or there to be honest. I get confused twice a year with this whole clocks going back/forward an hour.

And we don't all hate the Engish, just fanny's that think we're named after whiskey ;)

There's a whiskey named Dave?

Dave n Ailsa Nov 1st 2011 7:49 pm

Yup, and it's matured for Bite me years