Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Trump Supporters Celebrate Imminent Loss of Their Health Insurance

Trump Supporters Celebrate Imminent Loss of Their Health Insurance

Old May 6th 2017, 12:08 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trump Supporters Celebrate Imminent Loss of Their Health Insurance

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I do think healthcare in the US will eventually be single payer, but I don't know if it will necessarily be at the federal level, it may end up starting at the state level in more progressive states.
Isn't this already the case in Oregon?
Old May 6th 2017, 12:09 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I'd heard that BC is somehow getting round the Canada Health Act which forbids charging for any medical procedure, event, that is provided by provincial health

Chapter 2
Canada Health Act Annual Report 2012-2013 [Health Canada, 2013]
It's 12 years since L had her operation, so it's being going on for a long time.
Old May 6th 2017, 12:47 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
It's 12 years since L had her operation, so it's being going on for a long time.
Indeed.
Old May 6th 2017, 5:27 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
To some degree. There is the Oregon Health Plan which is still insurance based but almost everyone is on it and I believe if you can't afford it allowances are made.
Old May 6th 2017, 5:32 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I do think healthcare in the US will eventually be single payer, but I don't know if it will necessarily be at the federal level, it may end up starting at the state level in more progressive states.

And not all healthcare providers in the US such as hospitals are for profit, there are a lot of not for profit hospitals in the US and not for profit health organizations but of course they need to charge patients to cover their costs, and recoup losses from those unable to pay via those who can pay either via insurance or self pay.
I always thought that the scope of Obama's policy was too great. I understand what he was trying to do but unless it was a single payer/taxation system then it would have been best left to the states. The federal govt. should have done what they do best through bullying and cajoling the states into adopting a public health system. But I fear there are just too many interests that don't want to pay for black and brown people to have quality healthcare.
Old May 7th 2017, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
No, it needs to eliminate all the preferential legal treatment that allows healthcare companies to push their costs way above market rate. Like preventing people from importing medicine from Mexico where it costs a few dollars, so they can be charged hundreds or thousands of dollars for the same thing just across the border. Or offering different prices for cash vs insurance.

Now, that may result in lower wages, but I doubt they're a large proportion of the cost of healthcare. American doctors may be better paid than in most countries, but I don't believe they're that much better paid.
The whole debate about Obamacare, from the Democrats and the Republicans, ignores the fact that insurance premiums are just a symptom of the problem- out of control medical costs arising from doctors, other medical personnel and hospitals, combined with the "defensive" medicine that has to be practiced to avoid lawsuits.

As at as what doctors are paid, when a doctor can charge $2500 for 30 minutes worth of work in a hospital, yes I think what they charge is part of the problem. (I had a procedure done in USA and that was one doctors bill).
Old May 7th 2017, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I always thought that the scope of Obama's policy was too great. I understand what he was trying to do but unless it was a single payer/taxation system then it would have been best left to the states. The federal govt. should have done what they do best through bullying and cajoling the states into adopting a public health system. But I fear there are just too many interests that don't want to pay for black and brown people to have quality healthcare.
The lack of access to quality health care effects everyone, hard to see what evidence would support that the system is somehow result of deliberate bias against minorities getting such access.

I agree that letting the states develop their own health care systems with support/bullying/funding from government probably a better way to address the problem- a lot easier to influence a state senator than a federal senator.

Or simply ban Congressmen from their current health insurance - they would find a solution very quickly it that were the case.
Old May 7th 2017, 3:34 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding private treatment in BC certain elective procedures can be direct billed to patients.