Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Toronto best place to live in the world...

Toronto best place to live in the world...

Old Jan 30th 2015, 2:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto best place to live in the world...

Originally Posted by Souvy
I do find TO to be rather an ugly city.
I don't think even Mel Lastman would deny that it's ugly. The best aspect of the city, the one they use on postcards, makes it look like Pittsburgh. The strengths of the city are the people and the food. The people because they're immigrants and the food because the people brought it. The best way to enjoy Toronto is to close your eyes and enjoy what's happening in your mouth and nose.

(unless you're near the Humber - then close that nose)
Old Jan 30th 2015, 3:05 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think even Mel Lastman would deny that it's ugly. The best aspect of the city, the one they use on postcards, makes it look like Pittsburgh. The strengths of the city are the people and the food. The people because they're immigrants and the food because the people brought it. The best way to enjoy Toronto is to close your eyes and enjoy what's happening in your mouth and nose.

(unless you're near the Humber - then close that nose)
I've probably never seen the nice bits of TO. My trips seem to confine me to the downtown concrete jungle.

It will be the same in April. Billy Bishop-Royal York-Billy Bishop. That is likely all I will see.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 3:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I've probably never seen the nice bits of TO. My trips seem to confine me to the downtown concrete jungle.

It will be the same in April. Billy Bishop-Royal York-Billy Bishop. That is likely all I will see.
You're not looking hard enough.

Before you land, if the weather is clear, you can glimpse the water treatment facility at the bottom of Vic. Park; that's Toronto's architectural highlight. Then you have the ferry ride, that's a bit like a cruise on the Danube. If you look north as you board the shuttle you can see a tenement primarily occupied by people of colour. It's named for Bishop Desmond Tutu; an example of the agonising political correctness and ham handed racial stereotyping that characterises Toronto politics. Bishop Tutu Towers is, of course, a nuclear free zone.

Perhaps, if you didn't take the shuttle, you could walk along the waterfront trail and enjoy the breeze off the lake. Don't swim. Don't paddle. Wash exposed skin thoroughly at the first opportunity.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 3:24 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I wish people would stop slagging my home town off like this. You have probably never even been to MK!?
Briefly for work (the theatre & art centre) and one of the lads in the bike club moved there. It's unfairly the poster child for boring new towns, but poster child it is. Sorry!

With out stealing too much of your thunder at the pub later what were the other 4 cities???
I'll have baked beans for lunch to "top up" with thunder. London (home city), Manchester (Uni), Gaborone (Botswana, so you don't have to look it up), Lagos (and not the one in Portugal!), PRS (peoples republic of scarberia)

You speak far too fondly of Toronto
The French learned to say nice things about the occupying Germans too; at least in online chat forums. (foriii? fora????)

at least I like the bit south of the 401 between Bathurst and the DVP
I agree but your geography is way off on the east side. The beaches are outside the DVP and would be my fave part of the city. SW Scarbs is nice- loosely south of the railway line from Vic Park out to McCowan: Fallingbrook (beaches with big houses), Birchcliff, Cliffside & Cliffcrest.

"What about Barrie?" I said, and they fell silent.
OK it was a beautiful summer day I was on the Ducati and looking at the sun shimmering on the lake rather than reflecting off the walmart. :-)
The architecture in Toronto is ugly.
There's not much ambition outside of downtown. TO is still a shy teenager in city terms when due to the commercial boom it should be a confident 30 year old.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 3:33 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You're not looking hard enough.

Before you land, if the weather is clear, you can glimpse the water treatment facility at the bottom of Vic. Park; that's Toronto's architectural highlight. Then you have the ferry ride, that's a bit like a cruise on the Danube. If you look north as you board the shuttle you can see a tenement primarily occupied by people of colour. It's named for Bishop Desmond Tutu; an example of the agonising political correctness and ham handed racial stereotyping that characterises Toronto politics. Bishop Tutu Towers is, of course, a nuclear free zone.

Perhaps, if you didn't take the shuttle, you could walk along the waterfront trail and enjoy the breeze off the lake. Don't swim. Don't paddle. Wash exposed skin thoroughly at the first opportunity.
I take it you don't work for the TO Tourism Board (or whatever).

That ferry amuses me, as does the tunnel. Why not just slap on a box-girder bridge? It's not a big stretch of water FFS!
Old Jan 30th 2015, 3:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
I agree but your geography is way off on the east side. The beaches are outside the DVP and would be my fave part of the city. SW Scarbs is nice- loosely south of the railway line from Vic Park out to McCowan: Fallingbrook (beaches with big houses), Birchcliff, Cliffside & Cliffcrest.
I'm familiar with the Beach due to having lived there for years. It's nice but it's part of Toronto in the way that Harrow is part of London, I'd call it an attractive inner burb rather than part of the city.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I spent 5 hours there once waiting for a Via Rail train to BC, could not wait to get out there...

I didn't see the appeal in the city that others seem, just one big massive urban sprawl.

You were there for five hours, how could you possibly develop an informed opinion of an entire city in that short a time?

I have lived just outside of Toronto for much of my life and am no fan of the city myself, but come on...your experience of the city is far too limited to draw any kind of informed conclusions about it.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 3:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by colchar
You were there for five hours, how could you possibly develop an informed opinion of an entire city in that short a time?

I have lived just outside of Toronto for much of my life and am no fan of the city myself, but come on...your experience of the city is far too limited to draw any kind of informed conclusions about it.
I dunno. I was in Brampton for twenty minutes or so before racing to the highway. I had the same experience in the Mexican bit of Detroit.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 3:51 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by colchar

Depends on the city............

To be fair, though, five hours in Union Station is not going to give anyone much in the way of fond memories.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 3:58 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

What would say is the US city most like Toronto. Often New York is cited, but I think it's most like Chicago because of the lake, and a more Mid-Western mindset.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 4:04 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

That ferry amuses me, as does the tunnel. Why not just slap on a box-girder bridge? It's not a big stretch of water FFS!
This became enough of a political hot potato when they were planning the tunnel to City Airport- all the protesters insisted it was just an excuse to build a bridge once the budgets for the tunnel came in.

I'd call it an attractive inner burb rather than part of the city.
I know what you mean but to me places like Camden Lock are inner burbs as well. Now I've looked up your western extent I think you're saying something different to me- I think High Park and Bloor Village west look seriously nice.

So with our proverbial zillion bucks where would we all live? I'd be on Glen Manor Drive with a view into the ravine.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 4:08 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
What would say is the US city most like Toronto. Often New York is cited, but I think it's most like Chicago because of the lake, and a more Mid-Western mindset.
Fort Lauderdale, as it has about the same about of Canadians.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 4:09 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Yeah, this.

NY is fairly unique in having the island downtown thing going on; same as Lagos, you're either on the island or you're not.

Not many cities have that.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 4:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
So with our proverbial zillion bucks where would we all live? I'd be on Glen Manor Drive with a view into the ravine.
Our old receptionist lived exactly there. She moved because it was too far to the subway.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 4:12 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Chicago. I get lost there because the lake is in the wrong place and other than that it looks the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.