Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Are top loading washers really this useless?

Are top loading washers really this useless?

Old Oct 20th 2013, 9:03 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are top loading washers really this useless?

Just make sure you don't mix bleach and vinegar. Unless you have gas masks handy and or want to recreate the trenches of WWI.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Are top loading washers really this useless?

Originally Posted by izzi81
I have attempted the washing of the washing machine, with mixed results!

It definitely smells fresher than it did before.
While leaving it soaking I cleaned some bits by hand and found some really disgusting stuff! Under the various rims at the top... No idea how the stuff gets in there but ewwwww.
I forgot to do the 'agitate for 1min' part, don't know how crucial that was..
I can still see some gunky stuff in the holes at the top of the drum inside, despite my filling the machine as full as it could be, which is a bit annoying because I can't clean it manually unless I take it apart (and that's going a bit far). It's not too bad as I don't usually fill it full anyway, but don't like that I can't really get rid of it.

So in conclusion, worth doing, but doesn't perform miracles on a machine that's old and not been cleaned for aaages!
Did mine too! Almost boaked at the gunk I was removing with the toothbrush.... it's because I know it is someone else's gunk. Don't mind our own dirt!

I haven't looked at the drum holes and am not going to...

Not much more to be done, but certainly can't have hurt. Might not make much difference to how it cleans, but must surely have some effect on the smell.