Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Are top loading washers really this useless?

Are top loading washers really this useless?

Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are top loading washers really this useless?

Having spent quite a while googling this topic and finding very little, it's time to try BE! In our rented cottage we have a top loading washing machine. It looks pretty old, was pretty gunky when we first moved in. I've never had a top loading machine before, and at first I thought they were quite cool, until I noticed its doing nothing to clean clothes! I'm using Tide liquid, which should be pretty good, but anything with a mark on it that goes into the machine comes out with the same mark on it. I resorted to a 1min scrub with my UK Vanish prewash bar on a mark on my hoodie which the machine failed to shift and in that 1min it was gone. So what's going on with the machine? It seems to work fine, fills up, spins, drains, all that. It just doesn't clean!

We can't afford a new one so I'm wondering if there's anything I can try, or am I just stuck with a useless machine
Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:13 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are top loading washers really this useless?

Mine, an old one that came with the house, works better than the $$$$ Duet sport brand new all singing all dancing machine we had in the previous house. I reckon it's the crap laundry detergents sold here. We've started using Tide capsules and they are better.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

We haven't mastered this yet either. And the whirly thing in the middle rips the clothes (or maybe our clothes are so old... which is a possibility).

Washer is old, though - came with the rental house. Maybe newer ones are better.

I can't find a washing liquid that smells of anything or cleans anything - have been going through them one by one. I'll give Tide a try when it's on offer!!

Though could be something to do with the no scents thing they have in lots of places?? I am guessing.

On the plus side - a huge load is done in half an hour, not the two hours it took for half the load size in my UK machine.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Oh, we also have a dishwasher that doesn't wash.

And a fridge that for a while didn't refrigerate.

All our appliances are Kenmore - but all are old.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 11:43 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

North American appliances are usually bits of tat.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future

We stayed in a holiday rental where we had use of a top loader. The wash took a whole 14 minutes and basically just wet and spun the clothes! We came here in 2006 and used a top loader in our suite. Again useless! All stains remained!
We have a front loader now which is better but I so miss a proper fabric softener which gives the clothes a nice smell. I wish they had Lenor or the sensations one which gave a smell for months. My towels stink of wet, sour water here despite using a fabric conditioner. Long gone are the days of beautifully smelling clothes when I ironed them. Now I get a sour water smell...charming!
Old Oct 18th 2013, 12:12 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jackandvictor
We stayed in a holiday rental where we had use of a top loader. The wash took a whole 14 minutes and basically just wet and spun the clothes! We came here in 2006 and used a top loader in our suite. Again useless! All stains remained!
We have a front loader now which is better but I so miss a proper fabric softener which gives the clothes a nice smell. I wish they had Lenor or the sensations one which gave a smell for months. My towels stink of wet, sour water here despite using a fabric conditioner. Long gone are the days of beautifully smelling clothes when I ironed them. Now I get a sour water smell...charming!

I use either Fleecy or Downy, and get nice smelling clothes, I even got the comment oooh you smell of fresh laundry the other week. I do also use a bounce or equivalent sheet in the drier when I remember to buy them. We also for almost a year had really bad sulpher smelling water but our clothes didn't smell eggy after washing them.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 12:21 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

I love top loaders!

I would advise not to overload the machine so the clothes can have a good swirl... and use a good detergent. We use Bio Zet here (not sure if it's available everywhere) and on stains, Preen degreaser. Clothes always come out clean.

Laundry wash bags stop things mangling.

With top loaders, you can add clothes and water for last minute changes from a small to big wash, chuck in an extra sock once the machine has started and even remove something if it looks like leaking colour.

That's my top loader rant over.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad it's not just me!
I don't really have a problem with smelly clothes (though my googling before posting did suggest running the machine on hot with white vinegar in the softener bit and baking soda in the machine with no laundry to clean it once a month...). It is great that its so fast, but I wonder if that's part of the problem? But then I always wondered why my UK machine had to take over an hour to wash things!

Maybe it's just the detergents that are the problem. My Vanish bar got the mark out almost instantly so maybe ill have to keep trying. Capsules are an idea, and I'll have a look for bio-zet and preen pretreatment.

I do like that you can open the top loader and add things if you forget something, it seems a good idea but a better idea is clean clothes lol. There are just 2 of us so the machine is never super full.

I think when eventually we buy a machine I might end up going back to a front loader.... But that's some way off yet I'm still recovering from the price of our mattress!

Edited to add: googled bio zet, it's Australia only! Oh well...
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:39 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
I love top loaders!

I would advise not to overload the machine so the clothes can have a good swirl... and use a good detergent. We use Bio Zet here (not sure if it's available everywhere) and on stains, Preen degreaser. Clothes always come out clean.

Laundry wash bags stop things mangling.

With top loaders, you can add clothes and water for last minute changes from a small to big wash, chuck in an extra sock once the machine has started and even remove something if it looks like leaking colour.

That's my top loader rant over.
+1

If your machine isn't getting your clothes clean the chances are that you are overfilling it without realising.

Fill the tub with water before adding the detergent, then add the clothes.

Don't overload it with clothes, make sure the water can get to everything.

Liquid detergent tends to get clothes cleaner, I find.

Old Oct 18th 2013, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

bcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nicebcmama is just really nice

We've got one and it seems to be ok, so long as we only half fill it. I just tend to buy whatever detergent is on offer, using Purex & Downy atm which leave the clothes smelling nice. I also find the dishwasher to be pretty rubbish, again it's not the newest and find Finish detergent better than Cascade.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 3:52 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

the top loader in our rental seems to be ok, no idea what washing powder we use. The dish washer is newer and we use finish in that and it works fine
Old Oct 18th 2013, 6:31 am
BEd Enthusiast

cjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond reputecjones has a reputation beyond repute

We had one of these threads quite recently, and I still stand by my assessment.

Since moving here we've had the use of 3 top-loaders (Miele/Kennmore/?) while renting various properties.

Our first purchase after buying our own place last year was a front-loader and a lawn mower. I mention the lawn mower, because if for some reason I become nostalgic and wish to recreate the effect of the top-loader on our clothes, I can always chuck them out onto the back yard and run them over a few times with it.

I'm exaggerating a little but you get the idea.
If anyone's interested, the bloody lawn mower's started playing up recently, but I'm hoping I can get away without having to get it serviced until next spring... Washing machine's running like a dream.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

I had a top loading washing machine when I was in a rental apartment. It was useless, didn't clean properly and stretched my jumpers. I would never use one again
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Top loaders are popular in the US , but not in other countries. As is normal in the US, the only thing that's important to the manufacturer is cost and the top loaders are much cheaper to make in various ways. Many tests have shown that the washing action in top loaders is inefficient, but cheap, but also, that same action , over time, destroys the clothes. Additinally, they use far more water than front loaders.
Always pay the extra and buy a front loader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.