Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Tip nudges, tipping, etc

Tip nudges, tipping, etc

Old Sep 23rd 2022, 9:29 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tip nudges, tipping, etc

Tip nudge ! Didn't know there was a name for it (the do you want to add a tip option on card payment devices). What surprised me from the article is oil change places now asking for tip ?!

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/checkup/can...wage-1.6587896
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tip nudges, tipping, etc

Originally Posted by Shard
Tip nudge ! Didn't know there was a name for it (the do you want to add a tip option on card payment devices). What surprised me from the article is oil change places now asking for tip ?!

There is an 'artisinal' doughnut place near me that does this. They charge $4 I think a doughnut and I think 6 are $20 (tax in I think) and if you pay by card the card reader defaults to 15, 18 or 22% I think. I override it to put down 0%. Basically you have to stand outside (still covid times with this place), you look through the window at what they have, tell the staff and they put the doughnut (s) in a box and give it to you. Online they has been a lot of backlash about this.

So many people I know are ingrained to tip 15-20% of the post tax bill at a restaurant even if the service is poor, the food is poor etc.
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 1:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
There is an 'artisinal' doughnut place near me that does this. They charge $4 I think a doughnut and I think 6 are $20 (tax in I think) and if you pay by card the card reader defaults to 15, 18 or 22% I think. I override it to put down 0%. Basically you have to stand outside (still covid times with this place), you look through the window at what they have, tell the staff and they put the doughnut (s) in a box and give it to you. Online they has been a lot of backlash about this.

So many people I know are ingrained to tip 15-20% of the post tax bill at a restaurant even if the service is poor, the food is poor etc.
That does sound a bit cheeky.
Is it not 15% of the pre-tax bill anymore ?
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 4:42 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

That does sound a bit cheeky.
Is it not 15% of the pre-tax bill anymore ?
Not been pre-tax for a while.

Most restaurants in Toronto now serve 3 options on the machine 18%, 20% and 22%.

One restaurant was lambasted for giving a guide on what the percentages mean with 18% being that the service needed work.

I'll tip the 18% if I'm having brunch and they're good with 2 or 3 coffee refills otherwise it is the awkwardness of the custom tip button but I'm fairly consistent with 15%. Poor service gets 10% or if they are simply opening a can of beer for me where 10% in my high opinion of myself is rather generous.
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 4:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We recently got a quote for air fare from an online company. They asked for tips…starting at 20%.
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 5:00 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Ah tipping!
I saw something, it may be referenced in the article, that a few online stores have started asking for tips when you check out, and is not related to them having to deliver stuff themselves. That's a little bit too much I think.

I generally ignore any tip options the machine provides and put in what I feel is fair. You're not going to badger me into giving a bigger tip, and if you dare to circle a "gratuity not included" item on the bill, you're getting a big fat zero and I'll have a chat with the manager (only ever had to do that once, and it was a long long time ago, and in england, place at Lakeside shopping centre)

If pre-ordering service is crappy, we'll leave, if post ordering service is crappy, probably zero tip. If service is good but food is not great, then I will probably tip a lower amount that normal, as it's not the servers fault. Then again, you never know how they divvy up the tip so they could still not get anything.
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 5:17 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by JamesM
Not been pre-tax for a while.

Most restaurants in Toronto now serve 3 options on the machine 18%, 20% and 22%.

One restaurant was lambasted for giving a guide on what the percentages mean with 18% being that the service needed work.

I'll tip the 18% if I'm having brunch and they're good with 2 or 3 coffee refills otherwise it is the awkwardness of the custom tip button but I'm fairly consistent with 15%. Poor service gets 10% or if they are simply opening a can of beer for me where 10% in my high opinion of myself is rather generous.
Do the servers typically get the full tip or is it pooled. Anything over 15% does seem a bit of a racket. If they are getting minimum wage and a 15% tip (and in Canada, unlike the US, no healthcare expense) that seems adequate for the most arduous job of bringing food to tables. BTW, still a devotee of Hooters ?
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 5:18 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We recently got a quote for air fare from an online company. They asked for tips…starting at 20%.
Tips for a quote ? How does that work ?!
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 5:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Tips for a quote ? How does that work ?!
Tips if you accept the quote and purchase a fare.
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The only tips I get are comments like "Get a real job or don't you have anything better to do?"

The biggest argument I have seen in articles is that this is a North American culture and that employers should pay service industry workers a liveable wage. I am not against tipping but where does it stop?
I am quite capable of carrying any suitcase to my hotel room or pumping my own gas (petrol).
Do you tip the fast food person at say McDonalds, Subway or any of the other fast food franchises?
I do tip my barber as he is in possession of very sharp objects however I don't tip my dentist.
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 5:45 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

12 of us went to a 'work do' the other week, they added 18% service charge as it was over 10 people. This was in very small print at the bottom of the bill.
When my boss was handed the credit card machine, the tip options were still there and he didn't study the bill hard enough and left another 18%. Crafty buggers.

Old Sep 23rd 2022, 7:34 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
12 of us went to a 'work do' the other week, they added 18% service charge as it was over 10 people. This was in very small print at the bottom of the bill.
When my boss was handed the credit card machine, the tip options were still there and he didn't study the bill hard enough and left another 18%. Crafty buggers.
Legally they're meant to tell you they've included the tip. I've been stung by a similar thing at a place here in Toronto. When I went back and asked for a refund of one 18% they were also not too happy about it but gave it back begrudgingly.

With large parties of 10 or more they always automatically add 18% here.
Old Sep 23rd 2022, 7:41 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Do the servers typically get the full tip or is it pooled. Anything over 15% does seem a bit of a racket. If they are getting minimum wage and a 15% tip (and in Canada, unlike the US, no healthcare expense) that seems adequate for the most arduous job of bringing food to tables. BTW, still a devotee of Hooters ?
Depends on the venue. One local I attend pool tips for bar staff and bar backs (glass collectors etc) while the servers keep their own.

I do believe in some venues servers have to give a percentage of sales to the kitchen. If people don't tip at all the server loses money on the overall transaction.

Of course it makes visiting Canada a nightmare for outsiders when they go out and eat. The menu price is nothing near what you end up paying.

Bars in Toronto with tax and tip are hitting $13 per beer now.

With regards to "Hooters" I moved across town in March so frequentation is less.

Old Sep 24th 2022, 2:59 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by JamesM
Depends on the venue. One local I attend pool tips for bar staff and bar backs (glass collectors etc) while the servers keep their own.

I do believe in some venues servers have to give a percentage of sales to the kitchen. If people don't tip at all the server loses money on the overall transaction.

Of course it makes visiting Canada a nightmare for outsiders when they go out and eat. The menu price is nothing near what you end up paying.

Bars in Toronto with tax and tip are hitting $13 per beer now.

With regards to "Hooters" I moved across town in March so frequentation is less.
$13 divide by 1.48 = £8.78 Yikes ! London pints are £6-7 which is already pricey.
Old Sep 25th 2022, 12:45 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I work minimum wage fast food. There is a tip option on the machine - easily overidable unless you are missing a few brain cells. Our tips are pooled and divvied up each week. We appreciate every tip. It's hard work working in the service industry. People are really horrid and it is far more than just transporting food on plates.

For proper sit down restaurants, you will find the servers have to give a percentage of their sales to kitchen/bar staff. Some places the tips are pooled and shared every shift.

Your fast food/restaurant staff are unlikely to get a tea break and in some cases meal break during their shift, especially if its busy. You can forget any medical or pension benefits, even for managers where I work. The managers where I work are contracted at 60 hours per week $19, no benefits, no pensions, both have second jobs, one has 3. I hove no idea when she sleeps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.