Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Things you never thought you would say

Things you never thought you would say

Old Feb 7th 2021, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things you never thought you would say

Last week I found myself saying the words 'I hope it was a rat'. Not a phrase I ever imagined myself saying in any of my 40 years in the UK. What sentences have you said during your Canadian lives that you couldn't have imagined uttering in the UK?
Old Feb 8th 2021, 12:42 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you never thought you would say

What a line!
Old Feb 8th 2021, 2:15 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Last week I found myself saying the words 'I hope it was a rat'. Not a phrase I ever imagined myself saying in any of my 40 years in the UK. What sentences have you said during your Canadian lives that you couldn't have imagined uttering in the UK?
i dont understand the significance of the rat and your hopefulness.
Old Feb 8th 2021, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
i dont understand the significance of the rat and your hopefulness.
Something got into the duck shed and attacked our ducks. The dogs heard the commotion and their barking chased it off. It was either a rat or a mink, a rat can injure but would struggle to kill an adult duck, a mink can and would kill all of them, just for fun. I assume that whatever it was will revisit at some point - hence the hope that it was a rat.
Old Feb 8th 2021, 4:45 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Something got into the duck shed and attacked our ducks. The dogs heard the commotion and their barking chased it off. It was either a rat or a mink, a rat can injure but would struggle to kill an adult duck, a mink can and would kill all of them, just for fun. I assume that whatever it was will revisit at some point - hence the hope that it was a rat.
I've seen a pen full of rabbits that had all been killed by a weasel, and it was shocking. I think 7 or 8 rabbits spread all over the pen, each hit in the neck and laying where they dropped. It looked like the weasel just drank a little blood from each one and moved on.
What I'm going to do is, if and when I'm at work again with a co-worker, pretend to see something in the shadows and say "I hope it was a rat." Just as a bit of apocolyptic dark humor.

Last edited by caretaker; Feb 8th 2021 at 4:50 am.
Old Feb 8th 2021, 1:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I've not actually said it but "it is what it is" has entered my thought process whereas in the UK I would never accept something just because that's they way it's done.
Old Feb 8th 2021, 1:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I may have uttered 'have a good day' and possibly even 'perfect' but never awesome.
Old Feb 8th 2021, 1:53 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I may have uttered 'have a good day' and possibly even 'perfect' but never awesome.
That bloody 'perfect' It's the same as the much repeated 'amazing' - casually thrown out about things that are neither perfect or amazing. Gets my Grumpy Old Woman goat.

Old Feb 8th 2021, 1:53 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

This is from a good few years ago during my traveling years, but it's memory has stuck with me.

"Eat the damn marmot, it tastes just like dog"
Old Feb 8th 2021, 1:56 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
This is from a good few years ago during my traveling years, but it's memory has stuck with me.

"Eat the damn marmot, it tastes just like dog"
Well come on - did you eat the marmot?
If the answer's 'yes', you know what the next question is!
Old Feb 8th 2021, 2:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Something got into the duck shed and attacked our ducks. The dogs heard the commotion and their barking chased it off. It was either a rat or a mink, a rat can injure but would struggle to kill an adult duck, a mink can and would kill all of them, just for fun.
I hate to ruin the whole premise of your thread, but you could just as easily have been saying that in the UK. A mink got in to our guinea pigs hutch and killed all 3 of them here. Well done to your dogs (ours were bloody useless and didn't even bark!).
Old Feb 8th 2021, 2:25 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Well done to your dogs (ours were bloody useless and didn't even bark!).
Are they hush puppies?

Old Feb 8th 2021, 2:29 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Are they hush puppies?

I was going to shoo you out but you already went.
Old Feb 8th 2021, 2:30 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I hate to ruin the whole premise of your thread, but you could just as easily have been saying that in the UK.
I'm guessing HG's idea was that she wouldn't have been keeping ducks in the UK in the first place.
Old Feb 8th 2021, 2:31 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Well come on - did you eat the marmot?
If the answer's 'yes', you know what the next question is!
We ate the marmot and I'd say it tasted boiled, as had the dog meat we had eatten earlier. The weird thing was realizing that dog was the new chicken.
The marmot was on a hitch hiking trip in mongolia, the truck stoped for a few hours, time to hunt and cook the marmot, cooked by placing hot stones in the pan, rather than the pan on the fire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.