Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Things you have done in Canada that you would never have done back home....

Wikiposts

Things you have done in Canada that you would never have done back home....

Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:50 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you have done in Canada that you would never have done back home....

Originally Posted by dbd33
Nothing broken, one wrist rather limp. i2c has a colourful knee to show for the excursion. There's rather more falling involved in starting snowboarding than in ski du fond but, at least, you don't have to deal with tangled planks attached to your feet.
The tangled planks issue has been resolved to a large extent by getting shorter poles. My original ones were ear-height and I spent more time trying to control them than anything else. Using shoulder-height ones has made a huge difference. She won't admit it but she cocked up. I'm learning classic skiing; she got me poles for skating. I'm nowhere near ready for skating.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you have done in Canada that you would never have done back home....

Originally Posted by Souvy
She won't admit it but she cocked up. I'm learning classic skiing; she got me poles for skating. I'm nowhere near ready for skating.
Do they ever admit it?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 4:00 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Become a workaholic
Old Jan 26th 2010, 4:22 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000
Become a workaholic
I have gone the opposite way. I only have one job here and I have yet to work an 80 hour week in it. I see daylight. It's great.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:20 am
YAY! Here and Loving it!

EmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really nice

Owned a people carrier!!

Got snow tires

Driven an automatic car

Been skiing just for the afternoon!

Owned skis

Lived in an apartment

Had a Canadian boyfriend! LOL!

OOh could go on for hours here.....!!!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:39 am
ork
Just Joined

ork is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
..been unduly freaked out driving around a roundabout.
Agree! I've driven in the UK and in Italy, so I am familiar with two different sets of roundabout rules but I've still seen some very strange roundabout navigation in Vancouver - what is the actual, real, genuine roundabout rule here?!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:54 am
ork
Just Joined

ork is on a distinguished road

...saw stars when I was thumped on the forehead by a boat cooker in the middle of English Bay (while trying to light a gas ring in order to boil water for coffee)

...felt proud and all capable that I didn't actually throw up while making aforementioned coffee

...but found myself way too seasick to drink the third of a cup of coffee that was still in our mugs after I staggered back up the stairs, slopping it all the way

...wondered why my husband had a quilty look on his face.

He later admitted that as soon as I'd disappeared down below, he had started to 'race' another boat. Hence the problems while I was down in the kitchen!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:28 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ork
...saw stars when I was thumped on the forehead by a boat cooker in the middle of English Bay (while trying to light a gas ring in order to boil water for coffee)

...felt proud and all capable that I didn't actually throw up while making aforementioned coffee

...but found myself way too seasick to drink the third of a cup of coffee that was still in our mugs after I staggered back up the stairs, slopping it all the way

...wondered why my husband had a quilty look on his face.

He later admitted that as soon as I'd disappeared down below, he had started to 'race' another boat. Hence the problems while I was down in the kitchen!

oooh the bugger!!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:52 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

skated on a frozen lake and the little river (Bowness Park) while on our recce trip - something I've wanted to do my whole life
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:55 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spankysparkle
skated on a frozen lake and the little river (Bowness Park) while on our recce trip - something I've wanted to do my whole life
You knew about Bowness Park your whole life?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:02 am
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You knew about Bowness Park your whole life?
careful funny pants, you're asking for a spanking
Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:03 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spankysparkle
careful funny pants, you're asking for a spanking
Oh now don't go making promises you can't keep.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:13 am
happy daisy

and i bought a cowboy hat. now that is not something i ever thought i would do
Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:55 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Rode a tenessee walker in a poker rally, in full western garb, with real cowboys.

Shot a gopher

Go on a deer hunt

Learned (loose term!) to shoot a compound bow

Kept cows

Used a quad daily

Nearly crashed a snowmobile

Go fishing on the Montana border

Hauled bales of hay all day then drank all night (ok the drinking may have occured once or twice in the UK)

Wore Carrharts

Skated on a frozen pond

Tubed down a river

spent time at a lakeside cabin

Seen a moose wandering from my backyard

Had deerheads hanging from the wall

Been to a rodeo

Tried barrel racing

Hauled water at minus 35 twice a day

Met my soulmate

Need me to go on I love it here
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:00 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Used an emoticon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.