Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Things you have done in Canada that you would never have done back home....

Wikiposts

Things you have done in Canada that you would never have done back home....

Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:35 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you have done in Canada that you would never have done back home....

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
See when I lived in the UK I cried myself to sleep that my family was still too close and wouldn't go away.

....it's so easy to mock.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:17 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you have done in Canada that you would never have done back home....

Lived 6,000 form both MILs. In opposite directions.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:38 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmith
...."plugged a car in" at a car park.
Don't you mean a parking lot?
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:03 am
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all

Skated on a pond we'd been on in peddle boats in the summer.

Watched my daughter perform in the Calgary Stampede Grandstand Show, where I saw my 1st rodeo too.

Watched the kids become proficient skaters/snowboarders/skiiers within weeks. Become a not so proficient skater myself (avoided the others due to knee issues.)

Seen NHL hockey live & Canadian Football.

Had our 1st white Xmas (2 now)
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

bettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud ofbettyboo67 has much to be proud of

Carried a portable coffee cup around with me while taking the kids to school

Had my first ever white Christmas last year

Put Christmas lights up outside the house ( it seems compulsory in our street)

Went camping- no-one was ever to persuade me that it was a good idea in the UK
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:48 pm
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

...choke back tears as I listen to my frail old mum thousands of miles away, her barely audible voice whispering "son, the bailiffs are here" down a crackly telephone line.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:31 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

...choke back tears as I listen to my frail old mum thousands of miles away, her barely audible voice whispering "son, the bailiffs are here" down a crackly telephone line.
You need to get Skype. Then you could have seen her sweet and gentle face as the bailiffs pushed her aside to unplug the computer. You can't replace memories like that.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:33 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bombards
Well - I'm in a very excited and happy mood as this afternoon I am heading off with my 13 yr old daughter and her Cheerleading team to Indianapolis - for a National competition. I don't know who is more excited!

Although involved in activities back home, I don't think we would have done anything like this!

Just wondered what you all have experienced in Canada - that frankly, you would have never done/tried back home?

Bombards
Trying to kill giant mosquitoes in the summer
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:07 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure she wasn't actually saying "I'm having another pint of Baileys son"?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:42 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bettyboo67
Carried a portable coffee cup around with me while taking the kids to school
pretty much all my coffee cups are portable... do you have some that aren't?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:46 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Are you sure she wasn't actually saying "I'm having another pint of Baileys son"?
No i think she was saying "Your mate Bailey is here son" as she winks into the handset and hangs up the phone.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

katie1962 will become famous soon enough

Gone to an ice hockey match and understood the rules - icing is not something that goes on top of a cake!
been thrilled when son gets onto trip with school as reward for hard work - they get to go dog sledding and skating on the river in Ottowa.
Driven at break neck speeds with friends round 20 yard sales before 10.am (and yes, most were pretty rubbish)
been drinking and driving - coffee that is.
Found out that it is possible for nose hair to freeze without being in the Arctic and not minding that the temp is -15 today!
Put up Christmas decorations in November before it gets too cold.
Had to freeze while the slowest skunk this side of the pond wanders it's slow way across my garden while I hang out washing in the summer.
Gone to church - every week and enjoy it.

Last edited by katie1962; Jan 15th 2010 at 11:49 am. Reason: I can't spell
Old Jan 15th 2010, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

wearing jeans to work

dog sledding

eating moose

owning a boat

seeing coyotes, white tail deer, bear, wild turkeys, skunks, racoons, osprey

wished your neighbours weren't English

owning a Red Rider BB gun

owning a truck

driven to Boston
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:26 pm

Peterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant futurePeterfrombournemouth has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
See when I lived in the UK I cried myself to sleep that my family was still too close and wouldn't go away.
By reading all these threads ,I think it`s safe to say 99.9% of us are glad we came over ,and is`nt that why we came !!
Old Jan 15th 2010, 1:48 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peterfrombournemouth
By reading all these threads ,I think it`s safe to say 99.9% of us are glad we came over ,and is`nt that why we came !!
Balls. You can't assume that at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.