Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Things you bring back from the UK when on holiday?

Things you bring back from the UK when on holiday?

Old Sep 9th 2010, 1:32 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you bring back from the UK when on holiday?

Originally Posted by Tuppence
The gravy granules will get you in the shit. My mum declared hers coming into Halifax last year, and they were confiscated - meat product. She is probably now on the no-fly list

If you don't declare, the beagle will probably get you
Originally Posted by surreybambina
Ah yes, when I arrived back last November I had Bisto Best gravy granules and Oxo cubes confiscated (I did volunteer that I had them though, so no rapped knuckles or fines!) Fortunately for me, my dad was not so honest when he came to visit and managed to sneak some through for me...
<Ponders why an earth one would want to bring gravy granules anywhere>...

A local independent supermarket here in NL has recently started stocking a small range of British goods. That includes several different shades of gravy granules. If the demand is there I could start supplying these by mail order from within Canada. At 150% mark up of course.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 1:48 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Gin (duty free)

That is all.

but I did once buy a Liverpool shirt at Gatwick as a souvenir too, out of boredom as much as anything.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 1:55 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
but I did once buy a Liverpool shirt at Gatwick as a souvenir too, out of boredom as much as anything.
Airport shopping is a dangerous thing. I bought a Guinness tshirt once. In my defence, my luggage was awol and I had nothing else to wear. But it is still in my closet, like a guilty secret.

Edited to add: I'd bring back Cadbury Buttons. Giant ones. And a suitcase full of Primark clothes.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 1:56 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
The gravy granules will get you in the shit. My mum declared hers coming into Halifax last year, and they were confiscated - meat product. She is probably now on the no-fly list

If you don't declare, the beagle will probably get you
The ingredients in the standard bisto gravy granules are

Potato Starch
Maltodextrin
Vegetable oil
Salt
Colour
Flavourings like celery, soya, wheat
Wheatflour
Flavour enhancers
Emulsifier
Spices and herb extract
Onion extract

Plus, in over 30 odd trips back to the UK I've never been searched, less had anything confiscated.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 1:57 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I brought back:

Gravy Granules
Ready Brek
Oxo cubes
Twiglets
a varied assortment of chocolate
drumstick lolly pops
Car magazines for OH that he used to enjoy reading and still does
Car polish
Mini rolls
Spotted Dick ( for my friend, she's gonna enjoy the name)
An Anglia bonnet and front nose.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 1:59 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John_B
So you're a Yiddo then? North London?

I used to support them when I was at school. Going back to the Garth Crookes day. Giving my age away there.
You might like Nick Love's film - The Firm.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:05 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Things we brought back on our recent trip back:

Clothes. Both for myself, the Mrs and the toddler.
Shoes. Ditto.
Colemans Sausage Casserole mix.
Chocolate. (Obviously)
Wilkins Tiptree Marmalade.
Books.

that's about it. After 6 years we've learned to live with the local alternatives or have found sources for the things we miss. Of all the things we buy in the UK, cheaper, decent footwear seems to be the biggest thing.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Jelly Babies - embassy regal and as many cans of Tennents as i can stuff in my case
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:08 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I brought back:

Gravy Granules
Ready Brek
Oxo cubes
Twiglets
a varied assortment of chocolate
drumstick lolly pops
Car magazines for OH that he used to enjoy reading and still does
Car polish
Mini rolls
Spotted Dick ( for my friend, she's gonna enjoy the name)
An Anglia bonnet and front nose.
OOO yes Drumstick lollies...I'll add that to my list for OH to bring back
Maybe Ready Brek too.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:12 am
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oink
You might like Nick Love's film - The Firm.
I saw the original many years ago. I'll have to search this one out. It has mixed reviews, but definitely looks worth watching.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:13 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Things we brought back on our recent trip back:

Clothes. Both for myself, the Mrs and the toddler.
Shoes. Ditto.
Colemans Sausage Casserole mix.
Chocolate. (Obviously)
Wilkins Tiptree Marmalade.
Books.

that's about it. After 6 years we've learned to live with the local alternatives or have found sources for the things we miss. Of all the things we buy in the UK, cheaper, decent footwear seems to be the biggest thing.
Have to agree with you on shoes (work shoes). Even the expensive ones are crap. I treat my last remaining pair of Church shoes like relics.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by expatasia
Right Guard roll-ons.
Cereals.
Tea.

Can you get 'proper' jam over there?
I get my tea from an Indian supermarket. I got a box of 120 (two cup size bags) Harris brand tea bags for $5.00 and they're the bollox.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Cadbury Fudge, Curly Wurly and Flake (box of each from Costco)
Some Denby items (last time I looked a dinner plate was over $40 in The Bay but about 7GBP on sale in John Lewis)
Large pot of Marmite - again from Costco
Some gravy sachet things
Old Sep 9th 2010, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

mcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the roughmcdavis is a jewel in the rough

Jesmona Black Bullets
Old Sep 9th 2010, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Things I have previously brought back include:

Minstrels
Bisto low salt gravy granules
Malt loaf
Jaffa Cakes
Calpol
Cymalon
Bras
"Simple" moisturising face wash

I think I am finally, after three years, learning to do without (not the bras though, I did buy local instead of M&S)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.