Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Things you bring back from the UK when on holiday?

Things you bring back from the UK when on holiday?

Old Sep 9th 2010, 7:18 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things you bring back from the UK when on holiday?

I was making a list tonight of the things I try and bring back because I usually forget something. I try not bring back anything that's too heavy. I was curious about the things other people bring back with them, things they think are essential and then the one offs.

This is not an absolutely immutable, definitive and exciting list, just my usual haul.

Gravy granules
Farley's Rusks
Pot Noodles (Bombay Bad Boy flavour)
Paracetamol & Codeine effervescent tablets
Lemsip
Bonjela
Colman's English mustard in a jar.
Monster Munch crisps
Twiglets
Jelly Babies
Cadbury Smash
A couple of pouches Old Holborn
Lots of newspapers
A new Spurs football shirt
Old Sep 9th 2010, 7:24 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you bring back from the UK when on holiday?

Given what I have heard about cheese, I might want to bring that back. Are you allowed to do that?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:01 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I was making a list tonight of the things I try and bring back because I usually forget something. I try not bring back anything that's too heavy. I was curious about the things other people bring back with them, things they think are essential and then the one offs.

This is not an absolutely immutable, definitive and exciting list, just my usual haul.

Gravy granules
Farley's Rusks
Pot Noodles (Bombay Bad Boy flavour)
Paracetamol & Codeine effervescent tablets
Lemsip
Bonjela
Colman's English mustard in a jar.
Monster Munch crisps
Twiglets
Jelly Babies
Cadbury Smash
A couple of pouches Old Holborn
Lots of newspapers
Dear god, is there a little Oink then?
Lemsip = Neocitron. Add whiskey/brandy to it and it's more effective and tastes OK.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Given what I have heard about cheese, I might want to bring that back. Are you allowed to do that?
yes but not soft cheese (e.g. goats cheese)
Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:04 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Right Guard roll-ons.
Cereals.
Tea.

Can you get 'proper' jam over there?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Docs.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

surreybambina is an unknown quantity at this point

Chocolate! I returned from the UK last night and in my bag I have: two 400g bars of Dairy Milk, a tub of M&S chocolate cornflake bars, M&S walnut whips and I did have a bag of Minstrels but they seem to have accidentally fallen into my stomach already. I also brought back Candy King pick'n'mix gummy strawberries and foam bananas to which I'm rather partial.

Sadly I had my two precious tins of Heinz Beanz confiscated by customs at Gatwick, as I'd somehow accidentally packed them in my carry on and they constitute 'liquid'. I promptly burst into tears as he took them (it had been a rather stressful day for other reasons I feel I should point out...) I live out in the sticks so I have a 2 hour drive to the nearest place I know of that sells them here. Boo! Fortunately my sister and her boyfriend are coming out for Christmas and I've asked that they bring one suitcase of clothes and one full of beans.

I also picked up a fair few packets of paracetamol at 16p a pop, rather than pay the silly price they are here, and a big bag of Twiglets, which I plan to hide from my boyfriend and his family, since they spend all their time complaining about how disgusting they are but when I turn my back I find they've scoffed them all!

Well back to reality now - but I'll still be dreaming about how lovely it would be if Ocado delivered this far...
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:19 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Marmite
A cold (usually)
Quirky and normally expensive bling from the Brighton Lanes
Duty free B&H
A nasty Visa bill
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:34 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oink
So you're a Yiddo then? North London?

I used to support them when I was at school. Going back to the Garth Crookes day. Giving my age away there.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:44 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chanceUK
yes but not soft cheese (e.g. goats cheese)
Can it be true!
Cheddar, brie, Camembert, Stilton....??
They are all OK to take back to Canada?
Right then, OH has a huge fridge freezer in his rented and when he next comes back for a visit, I know what he will be doing - taking back a suitcase of cheese to freeze!
And some beans!
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:51 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

My OH is off to London next week on business so he will be bringing me back:

Boxes of Crunchy Nut and Crunchy Nut Nutty Cornflakes
PG Tips Pyramids
Packets of choccy bars i.e Caramels, Penguins, etc
Galaxy bars
Crisps - all flavours
I'm sure I'll think of more before he leaves on Sunday

I would love sausages, bacon, cheeses, Anchor butter, prawn crackers, and plenty more but unfortunately these are things you are not allowed
Old Sep 9th 2010, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

The gravy granules will get you in the shit. My mum declared hers coming into Halifax last year, and they were confiscated - meat product. She is probably now on the no-fly list

If you don't declare, the beagle will probably get you
Old Sep 9th 2010, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

surreybambina is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah yes, when I arrived back last November I had Bisto Best gravy granules and Oxo cubes confiscated (I did volunteer that I had them though, so no rapped knuckles or fines!) Fortunately for me, my dad was not so honest when he came to visit and managed to sneak some through for me...
Old Sep 9th 2010, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Can it be true!
Cheddar, brie, Camembert, Stilton....??
They are all OK to take back to Canada?
Right then, OH has a huge fridge freezer in his rented and when he next comes back for a visit, I know what he will be doing - taking back a suitcase of cheese to freeze!
And some beans!
not brie or camembert- it has to be hard cheese. cheddar, stilton etc is ok. There is a limit, I cant remember how much (probably about a kg)

also, you have to declare it on your customs form. The official at the desk will ask you what you have - just tell them. As long as they recognize it as hard cheese, you'll be waved through. I always bring back cheese and declared it and it has never caused problems
Old Sep 9th 2010, 1:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John_B
So you're a Yiddo then? North London?

I used to support them when I was at school. Going back to the Garth Crookes day. Giving my age away there.
From the last trip to the UK we brought yids ticket stubs. If only once in this lifetime I could see them win...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.