Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Things that go bite in the night

Things that go bite in the night

Old Jul 1st 2008, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of
Default Re: Things that go bite in the night

Originally Posted by purple80
I do the same.....Bitten in the UK and France same thing happened.

Returned from Canada 10th June this year wheel chaired off the plane, straight to Whiston Hospital, anitibiotics, painkillers and antihistamine. Six bites on one foot and five on the other. Under threat of having to stay in hospital or having to return for intra-venous antibiotics, but luckily did not have to.

In a lot of pain could not walk for one week, could not wear shoes for three, am planning on buying an all in one suit to wear in the summer.

Worst experience of my life.......
My next door neightbour actually wears an all-in-one suit to do the gardening in and I sat and watched him the other day thinking he must be roasting and must be mad.

But I take that all back now, he has the right idea!!!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:00 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisa_W
My next door neightbour actually wears an all-in-one suit to do the gardening in and I sat and watched him the other day thinking he must be roasting and must be mad.

But I take that all back now, he has the right idea!!!
that or he is a bit or a weirdo!!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 5:35 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I only mentioned Marmite as I wanted to morph this discussion into yet another vacuous Marmite thread.

We use the OFF-sports version, and the first year we were here playing field hockey in the evening the mozzies were terrible so I sprayed it over all exposed skin and rubbed it on my face, neck and ears, and didn't get a single bite EXCEPT below my knees, where I hadn't sprayed because I was wearing knee high socks and shin guards.

Well my shins were fine, but the blighters bit right through my socks at the back, and I ended up with around a dozen bites on each of my calves!!! :curse: :cry:
Old Jul 1st 2008, 5:59 am
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

With all these sprays and lotions, would you put your sun protection lotion on first and then spray your mossie spray over the top?

We were over in NS last summer and never used any sprays, none of us got bitten at all, do you think we were just lucky or do the little swines generally just bugger off by then?

Thanks, Karen
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:32 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisa_W
Iain, how far away from the swings or the house do you put your skeeter-vac?

We got one yesterday and last night it was on the edge of the patio just below the balcony of the house, so probably about ten to twelve feet away from the house.

OH thinks it should really be further from the house, then it is drawing mosquitoes away from the house, rather than towards it. He is thinking of putting it much further down the garden, saying it covers over an acre anyway (we got the V35).

So I just wondered what sort of distance you found to be best?

Thanks.
Its about 20 feet. I dont like it closer to the house than that because it will draw the little buggers closer, and much as they are attracted to it, they are attracted to me more! We have a fairly large yard (3/4 acre), so move it to where its needed most ever few weeks.

Remember, it will take a few weeks before it starts to make a good difference, but every skitter it catches now is one that wont be breeding later. It takes a bit of fiddeling to set the chemical bait to the optimum level. I hope you bought one of the models with the internal electric fan to suck them in..the cheaper ones without it are not nearly as effective. I think the 35 is what we have.

If its any consolation when I first came here I used to get huge golf ball sized lumps where I was bitten, but over time I guess my immune system has adapted and now the bites are just small bumps. Maybe it just seems like you are all bitten more here, because the bumps show up worse?

Last edited by iaink; Jul 2nd 2008 at 1:34 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:33 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazbob
With all these sprays and lotions, would you put your sun protection lotion on first and then spray your mossie spray over the top?

We were over in NS last summer and never used any sprays, none of us got bitten at all, do you think we were just lucky or do the little swines generally just bugger off by then?

Thanks, Karen
Bug spray, then sunscreen. The sunscreen need reapplying a lot more frequently.

Generally a good long hot spell will kill off most of the little buggers, unless you venture into the woods.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 2:12 am
it's all good............

D15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of lightD15NEY is a glorious beacon of light

Omg, we are not alone then .

We don't have no-see-ums here but bloodsucking black-flies .

Ewwww, makes my skin crawl just writing about them.

Our bites tend to come up to golf-ball size and they drive you mad, what ever you do don't apply 'Afterbite' after you have accidently scratched them .

Even the poor dogs can't lay out inthe garden because they get attacked by the bugs!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Can you still buy the Muskol that was basically repackaged 100% pure DEET? That stuff worked. If any dripped down the bottle it dissolved the ink, but it kept the mosquitoes away.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:12 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Dindnt think that Muskol was ever more than about 30 or 40%?...same as the "Deep Woods" Off now. You used to be able to get that in a 90+% DEET in a small pump container. Probably not healthy at that concentration anyway. "Jungle Juice" was another brand.

Its nasty pungent stuff...wrecked more than one pair of cheap sunglasses....But its usefull to carry in the bike saddle bag in case of a serious mechanical failure in the woods. I guess hunters and the like would go for it too.

Last edited by iaink; Jul 2nd 2008 at 3:19 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:14 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Can you still buy the Muskol that was basically repackaged 100% pure DEET? That stuff worked. If any dripped down the bottle it dissolved the ink, but it kept the mosquitoes away.
No, Muskol comes with a maximum 30% DEET nowadays.

http://www.muskol.com/en/product/classic_liquid_40ml/

As I posted above I still have a bottle of the 95% stuff that I use sparingly.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by iaink
Muskol was never more than about 30 or 40%...same as the "Deep Woods" Off. Im not sure its legal to sell any higher percentage than that?
Not true see my two posts in this thread.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

ali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant futureali-simon has a brilliant future

OK, fairly new girl here. we are waiting to come over to Alberta. paperwork in progress.

I'm sorry if I sound dumb, what is a skeeter Vac. I've have the general idea but wondered if someone would clarify. Don't like flyie, bity things. need to be prepared and will put it at the top of my must buy list. Above the OH's 90inch TV.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:21 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Right you are Steve. I have some 98% Off stashed away under my saddle...I'm surprised it hasnt eaten the container!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:23 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by ali-simon
OK, fairly new girl here. we are waiting to come over to Alberta. paperwork in progress.

I'm sorry if I sound dumb, what is a skeeter Vac. I've have the general idea but wondered if someone would clarify. Don't like flyie, bity things. need to be prepared and will put it at the top of my must buy list. Above the OH's 90inch TV.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...9&postcount=43

Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by iaink
Right you are Steve. I have some 98% Off stashed away under my saddle...I'm surprised it hasnt eaten the container!
I see they have also reduced the size of the bottle by 20% nowadays too.

This one is a 50ml bottle rather than the 40ml you can buy today.

Contains 95% Deet and 5% Related Toluamides, whatever they are?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.