Teatime Choices

Old Nov 2nd 2015, 8:02 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teatime Choices

There's lots of finely chopped cilantro there, it's just buried under. My cucumber and yogurt side gets mint leaves from the garden.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 10:02 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Rissoles
Old Nov 6th 2015, 10:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Roast beef, unpeeled uncut carrot, spud, mixed veg, an onion and leek, gravy.
Delicious.

Glass of Pinot Noir
Old Nov 7th 2015, 12:41 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Roast beef, unpeeled uncut carrot, spud, mixed veg, an onion and leek, gravy.
Delicious.

Glass of Pinot Noir
https://winealign-production.s3.amaz...R-2011_web.jpg
Delicious apart from the carrots. I hate them unpeeled as I can always taste the outside, it's bitter and like the soil they were once in
Old Nov 7th 2015, 1:41 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Delicious apart from the carrots. I hate them unpeeled as I can always taste the outside, it's bitter and like the soil they were once in
I think that's why I like them. They have to be just right, of course. Smooth and orange, no 'funny' bits.

It seems to me as if the skin seals the flavour in.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 9:26 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I was thawing out the moose steaks my neighbour gave me when he came home and gave me the heart out of the mule deer buck he shot this morning, so it's going to be heart and steak and... hoooold on there Baba Louie, I have the chance to make a venison pie here don't I? Pffft, we'll see. Who knows what I might do. I think use half for a mixed grill and the rest in a pie tomorrow when I have more time and some mushrooms.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 10:07 pm
Oscar nominated

Old Nov 9th 2015, 10:03 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Attached Thumbnails Teatime Choices-20151109_163309.jpg  
Old Nov 10th 2015, 9:42 pm
Oscar nominated

I'm gonna steal that plate. Is the coast clear yet?

Old Nov 10th 2015, 9:58 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I'm gonna steal that plate. Is the coast clear yet?

http://vladsokolovsky.com/forums/pub...ing-smiley.gif
Steady on, that's when it was still raw. It's about half gone, I even decorated it with dodgy maple leaves.

I just had my tea, a great big moose steak that minus the bone must have been a good 13 - 14 oz (possibly 16 or 17, I was eating a piece that was done first) with charcoal bbq seasoning and a bunch of mushrooms sauteed in the jus and hash-browns with red onion and jalapeno.
Attached Thumbnails Teatime Choices-20151109_200043.jpg  

Last edited by caretaker; Nov 10th 2015 at 10:03 pm. Reason: truth
Old Nov 14th 2015, 1:33 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It'll be a take away tonight, that's for sure.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 10:23 pm
Oscar nominated

A couple of weeks ago I saw a Jamie Oliver recipe in the guardian (I think) that was some sort of cheap beef (one of what be the 'rounds' here) slow roasted in the oven.

It was on a setting so low that most ovens don't go that low so the suggestion was to wedge the door open.

It was to be roasted with nothing at all, on a rack and then seasoned with a quick fry before serving.

I thought I'd give it a go using the slow cooker instead.

Now, I have previously done a sort of braising with a couple of joints in the slow cooker. Brisket was brilliant but seemed rather expensive.

Something else came out nice but a bit stringy to the point that it only cut lengthways and it was a little chewy.

Today I tried Boneless cross rib. Previously these have actually made a very nice, low priced roast but this one had a big piece of what looks like fat but stays solid when cooked.

I didn't mind the experiment as I don't think it would have roasted that well.

So into the slow cooker it went. A sprinkling of steak spice and some garlic sliced and dropped in. Nothing else. An hour on high and 4 hours on low and it was perfectly done with plenty of liquid.

Plenty of fat in the liquid but I transferred it, let it cool and then discarded the excess fat. It made a very good gravy base.

But the meat was gorgeous. It fell apart (so frying to finish wasn't an option even if I wanted to) and wasn't the least bit stringy. It was nicer than the brisket and half the price. Generous helpings for 4 for about $8.

It's nice when an experiment turns out well.

Very often these are on sale for $3.99lb, with two very good ways of cooking.

Last edited by BristolUK; Nov 15th 2015 at 10:27 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 11:27 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I had a fish finger sandwich and in a few minutes when they're thawed I'll fry up 7 President's Choice pot stickers (pork, cabbage, and veg).
Note to self: out of sweet chili sauce.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 1:44 am
Oscar nominated

Salmon Alfredo/Linguini - using Classico sauce jar plus cream of mushroom soup.

And salmon of course. Bit of onion and veg.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 11:42 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Salmon Alfredo/Linguini - using Classico sauce jar plus cream of mushroom soup.

And salmon of course. Bit of onion and veg.
Well, rivington's thread on Lloyd Grossman influenced my purchasing behaviour yesterday as I actually bought two jars of it, something I haven't done for some time. They were on sale for £1 each though, and that contributed too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.