Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Tattoos ......................

Tattoos ......................

Old Nov 1st 2011, 8:52 pm
Pissy Mare

Location: Previously Hertfordshire, now in Chester Basin, Nova Scotia :)
Stonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tattoos ......................

I have two just now, a cartoon dragon on my upper right arm which I've had 18 years and my son's name on my left wrist which I had 2 years ago. I don't regret either.

I'm 41 and in 30 years time I'll look at these, plus any others I might have, and be thankful that I got them and didn't take life too damn seriously

Why is it necessary to label others for their choices (pikey, chav, etc) just because they don't fit in with your ideals ?.

Live and let live
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linz3112
Is Mr Chookie from Lincoln then or does he just like the look of the Imp as a Tattoo? Seems a specific choice of odd looking creature for a tattoo.....
He is from Boston (the real one, not the US version), but is particularly fond of the entire area. He did live for a time in both Lincoln and Skegness as well.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stonedog

Why is it necessary to label others for their choices (pikey, chav, etc) just because they don't fit in with your ideals ?.

Live and let live

ITA.

While I don't particularly like the look of tramp-stamps and I have no desire to have one myself, I don't judge those who do have one.

The one tat that I have means a lot to me, and the others I want will be very personal as well.

Like Stonedog, I am in my early 40's. I don't regret the one tattoo I have, and I seriously doubt that I will regret it or any others that I get when I am old. Heck, I don't regret any of the piercings that I have either.

I get that some people don't like the idea of body modification for themselves, but seriously - why do you need to look down on those who do want a tattoo?

Do those same people also look down on anyone who gets their ears pierced? or is that OK because it is a mainstream form of body modification?
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chookie
I get that some people don't like the idea of body modification for themselves, but seriously - why do you need to look down on those who do want a tattoo?
When I look at an image of Bart Simpson or Jesus on a stranger's face or neck I'm afraid I cringe. It looks as stupid to me as a goatee. I see it as a career limiting move and cannot accept that any thinking person would imagine an attachment to either long enough lasting to want to project it toward everyone they encounter.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:07 pm
Pissy Mare

Location: Previously Hertfordshire, now in Chester Basin, Nova Scotia :)
Stonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud ofStonedog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
When I look at an image of Bart Simpson or Jesus on a stranger's face or neck I'm afraid I cringe. It looks as stupid to me as a goatee. I see it as a career limiting move and cannot accept that any thinking person would imagine an attachment to either long enough lasting to want to project it toward everyone they encounter.

I managed to get my most recent job with a very visible tattoo and Mr S has never been out of work despite the various tattoos on his arms. I guess it depends on the career choices people make for themselves and those who wish to join industries where tattoos are frowned upon are more likely to have them in more discreet areas.

As for the goatee, I can't say I've ever considered Mr Stonedog stupid looking but I'm off for another look with razor in hand
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:13 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

I have many many freckles which I dislike so never convinced on the tattoo on top.
More seriously I would want to change it, I am very poor at wanting the same thing forever.

I quite like henna though.

p.s. I would be a dreadful customer & would want to review the sterile technique, in true microbiologist geek style - a friend of mine actually did this before committing to a fish

Last edited by Bali2010; Nov 1st 2011 at 11:13 pm. Reason: halloween typo
Old Nov 1st 2011, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

I watched one of the "Hairy Bikers" episodes the other day and noticed they both had tattoos on their upper arms. Couldn't see what the designs were and wondered if they had been in the navy perhaps before becoming TV presenters. Since this thread started the curiousity got the better of me and I looked it up and according to Wiki they both have Che Guevara tattoos. Che Guervara? Most of this episode was filmed at Henley Regatta. Power to the people...
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 1:07 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a guy who learned his lesson:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cist-past.html
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 4:57 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Seems most on here that have admitted to having them are the ladies!!!!
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 7:50 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

I have an eagle on my shoulder blade (so hide-able) got it when I was 18 and had booked it two years earlier when I lost my nan. She used to say, "sod the angel on your shoulder, there's an eagle on mine he had better eyesight and better judgement!" I wanted it on my upper arm but the tattooed was my bil's cousin and he told me my BIL would string him up if he did it somewhere I'd later regret, he was right!
Don't regret it, because I only catch a glimpse now and then in the mirror and it reminds me of her and makes me smile.
Wouldn't have another tho, well probably not. Depends if I ever lose someone so truly inspiring and life affirming...