Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Taking anti depressants since moving to Canada

View Poll Results: Have you been prescribed anti depressants since emmigrating?
Yes, and I would never have back in the UK
16.39%
No but am / have seriously considered it
9.84%
No not at all
73.77%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Taking anti depressants since moving to Canada

Old Mar 5th 2012, 1:43 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking anti depressants since moving to Canada

I know one of my friends, who emigrated some years before we did, took antidepressants for a while. I remember her telling me not to be surprised if I did need them to get me through a patch at some point.

So far I have not, and aside from the odd speedbump I have generally been of a much better frame of mind than I was for many years back in the UK.

One member of my family has recently been on them and is currently weaning off, thankfully. This has been tough, but was not related to our move.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 3:57 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

I finally went to the doctor last Monday, and was given anti-depressants. I felt sorry for my poor husband who didnt know what he was coming home to each night, the look of relief on his face when I was in an up mood, was what made me go, I realised that it was effecting him as much as me.

I have been in Canada almost three years, in the first 6 months I lost my Mum, and everyday I miss my grandchildren so much. Not sure if the tablets will help with the latter issue, time will tell.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldnt there be a "Yes and I was taking them in the UK", and a "No, but I was in the UK" option to the poll too, in the interest of balance?
Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:05 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I find booze is a lot more effective and enjoyable.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:58 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I find booze is a lot more effective and enjoyable.
If you'd actually suffered from the illness of depression, you'd probably realise what complete bollocks this statement is.

As someone who took anti-depressants for eighteen months, I'm shocked that someone could give an opinion with as much garbage as this.

When I was depressed I changed from a socially active, engaged and positive person to someone who could barely make it out of bed and had no interest in anything around them.

Now I don't suffer from it any more, I'm the same engaged social leader that I was before I fell to the illness. And believe me I fought it tooth and nail. Despite fantasising about killing myself, I didn't seek treatment for about six months. Six months of my life that were wasted.

Would you laugh about someone who had cancer?
Old Mar 5th 2012, 5:11 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
If you'd actually suffered from the illness of depression, you'd probably realise what complete bollocks this statement is.

As someone who took anti-depressants for eighteen months, I'm shocked that someone could give an opinion with as much garbage as this.

When I was depressed I changed from a socially active, engaged and positive person to someone who could barely make it out of bed and had no interest in anything around them.

Now I don't suffer from it any more, I'm the same engaged social leader that I was before I fell to the illness. And believe me I fought it tooth and nail. Despite fantasising about killing myself, I didn't seek treatment for about six months. Six months of my life that were wasted.

Would you laugh about someone who had cancer?
I was laughing at anybody and there's no need to jump down my throat, especially if you'd taken care to read what I wrote instead of internalizing you'd see this thread is not all about you. And, I wasn't recommending it anybody, only that having a drink works for me. I don't like popping pills and would rather have a few beers or a glass of wine as I find that a bit more natural.

Last edited by Oink; Mar 5th 2012 at 5:14 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Shouldnt there be a "Yes and I was taking them in the UK", and a "No, but I was in the UK" option to the poll too, in the interest of balance?
This was what i was thinking as well.

And there should also be a "yes but it had nothing to do with me emigrating" option as well.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 5:19 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

But that's the whole point. Depression is an illness which can't be cured simply by a couple of pints down the pub (especially as alcohol is a depressant). If you'd ever suffered from it (or investigated it) you'd know that.

Feeling sad is natural from time to time. Wanting to top yourself is not. Making light of a serious illness is not funny, especially as you clearly have no idea of what the illness of depression is. Depression is not about having a bad day at work and feeling low. Its about having an illness that severely compromises your ability to function. Making light of that is pretty shameful in my book, and reflects the ongoing incorrect perceptions and discrimination that people suffering from depression experience.

As to not wanting to take tablets, good for you. I felt the same way for a long time. But you just can't 'snap out' of it. You need either medical or theraputic treatment, or ideally both to recover.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I can see both sides. I got very depressed when I came to the US and was prescribed antidepressants. However they had a lot of weird side effects and the doctor just seemed to keep wanting to up the dose.

If you can somehow get your head straight without them that's far better.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
But that's the whole point. Depression is an illness which can't be cured simply by a couple of pints down the pub (especially as alcohol is a depressant). If you'd ever suffered from it (or investigated it) you'd know that.

Feeling sad is natural from time to time. Wanting to top yourself is not. Making light of a serious illness is not funny, especially as you clearly have no idea of what the illness of depression is. Depression is not about having a bad day at work and feeling low. Its about having an illness that severely compromises your ability to function. Making light of that is pretty shameful in my book, and reflects the ongoing incorrect perceptions and discrimination that people suffering from depression experience.

As to not wanting to take tablets, good for you. I felt the same way for a long time. But you just can't 'snap out' of it. You need either medical or theraputic treatment, or ideally both to recover.
I wasn't recommending pills or booze to anybody, I'm not that type of doctor. The question was, do you take anti depressants and I answered that I prefer booze to them. End of. You're the one who immediately attacked my post because you turned it around to be about you.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 5:27 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't recommending pills or booze to anybody, I'm not that type of doctor. The question was, do you take anti depressants and I answered that I prefer booze to them. End of. You're the one who immediately attacked my post because you turned it around to be about you.
You replied quoting her post so it's only natural PF thought it was about her.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram
You replied quoting her post so it's only natural PF thought it was about her.
Not with my original post I didn't. Only in response to her response.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 5:34 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Not with my original post I didn't. Only a response to her response.
That's what I was referring to Oink. I see what you mean now.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 6:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Can we move on now? This is posted in the maple leaf, which is intended for not entirely serious topics. In any case no one "owns" the threads, and few topics are such sacred cows that people dont make inappropriate, misguided or humorous replies. Is this one so very different?

Besides there is a stong link between depression and alcoholism anyway.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

ChromeoHurts is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been using St Johns Wort... I find it's more of a placebo effect than anything... the lack of traction on the job front since being made redundant in 2011 has caused me to wonder wtf I'm doing in Canada and I miss London terribly. Keep taking my happy pills... something will come up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.