Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Taking anti depressants since moving to Canada

View Poll Results: Have you been prescribed anti depressants since emmigrating?
Yes, and I would never have back in the UK
16.39%
No but am / have seriously considered it
9.84%
No not at all
73.77%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Taking anti depressants since moving to Canada

Old Mar 4th 2012, 10:06 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking anti depressants since moving to Canada

I know of a fair few people that have unfortunately have had to take these since moving to Canada to help with certain aspects of the transition.

I've wondered for a while how widespread this is.

It's a private poll so if you vote no one will know its you, but I would be interested to see the result
Old Mar 4th 2012, 1:46 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking anti depressants since moving to Canada

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I know of a fair few people that have unfortunately have had to take these since moving to Canada to help with certain aspects of the transition.

I've wondered for a while how widespread this is.

It's a private poll so if you vote no one will know its you, but I would be interested to see the result

Dosnt look good for these drugs just at the mo moo.

You just have to stik with coke n old faithfull crack for the time being gal. Lol
Old Mar 4th 2012, 5:04 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Moo I suffered Postnatal depression and one other occasion in the UK where I was prescribed good old Prozac, so far I have been fine here. My daughter has spent 18 months on antidepressants, she's off them now thankfully but it wasn't a happy time and I'm pretty sure my husband gets SAD (off to get Vitamin D today). I does make life stressful that's for sure
Old Mar 4th 2012, 6:37 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for being honest Piff x

I wanted to see if there was a sizeable amount of people that found the move harder than they thought they would.

It really isn't something to be taken lightly.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 6:50 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

More to do with uprooting your life than where you have moved to. Moving abroad is amongst one of the greatest causes of stress. There are of course many other variables that will come into play that will impact the individual; such as, availability of work, reasons for leaving in the first place, adaptability (who's idea was it? yours or your spouses?), stressors back in the uk (selling homes, aging parents etc)...Studies actually support that depression is lower in immigrants than the general populace, likely due to optimism or a perceived belief that they have improved their lot in life....

Depression sucks....been there unfortunately along with anxiety (in large part linked to my job and a divorce i went through). Exercise and a healthier diet helps. Postive outlook is needed. Tough hole to get out of at times though.

edit: I did take anti-anxiey meds...ciprelx (i think)...

Last edited by Boy d; Mar 4th 2012 at 6:53 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 6:59 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

IMO it is less likely the fact you are in Canada that is the problem, after all many think this is utopia, looking at the poll, it could be the addiction to this site that is the crux of the problem, more exercise and less computer, that should solve the problem.
My opinion, no science avail, though your poll seems to suggest that those on this site are likely to take them than the national average.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Is it the shitty weather?
Old Mar 4th 2012, 7:44 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
thanks,

It really isn't something to be taken lightly.
In all my 40 sumthing years ive never took any anti dees ever, and ive had my fair share of knock backs.

Maybe it is a more deeply routed problem rather than just a move to Canada problem. Maybe?

As to people on here getting depressed because they sat at a pc all day looking at Expats, and should get out more and not sit posting on here. Well i post 90% of the time via my Samsung smart fone, out of the house, either sat working or today warming up next to a wood stove at the RC flying club. Fingers are freeezzzing and tingling now. Lol

Last edited by magnumpi; Mar 4th 2012 at 8:37 pm. Reason: Rambling, making people depressed, sowy
Old Mar 4th 2012, 7:52 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fletcher m
IMO it is less likely the fact you are in Canada that is the problem, after all many think this is utopia, looking at the poll, it could be the addiction to this site that is the crux of the problem, more exercise and less computer, that should solve the problem.
My opinion, no science avail, though your poll seems to suggest that those on this site are likely to take them than the national average.
I suspect you are very right. Cursory search of the tinternet suggests national average is around 10 percent and the Canadian immigrant population around 5.6 percent. Both considerably lower than this non-scientific poll suggests

Of interest, the UK pegs the number at 20 percent of Britons suffering the blues, although I suspect its more to do with increased likelihood of seeking medical care; thus, more reported incidents, rather than higher incidents of depression.

It's a serious medical issue and as many as two thirds of us will suffer prolonged bouts of depression at some time in our lives.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 7:57 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
In all my 40 sumthing years ive never took any anti dees ever, and ive had my fair share of knock backs.

Maybe it is a more deeply routed problem rather than just a move to Canada problem. Maybe?

What happens when you guys take the pills, what does it do? Or is it like you need a pill for the sake of a pill. Just wondering not finger pointing. Like smoking maybe, one drug cures all.

Two weeks in the Caribean was enough to get me through the winter blues. But mostly im too busy to find the time to get depressed.

As to people on here getting depressed because they sat at a pc all day looking at Expats, and should get out more and not sit posting on here. Well i post 90% of the time via my Samsung smart fone, out of the house, either sat working or today warming up next to a wood stove at the RC flying club. Fingers are freeezzzing and tingling now. Lol
Possibly the biggest load of badly typed inappropriate bollocks I have seen in a long time on here.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram
Possibly the biggest load of badly typed inappropriate bollocks I have seen in a long time on here.
Thanks your opinion means a lot to me.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

mrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to all

I spent 2 and a half years on Zispin\Citalopram and the same amount of time in therapy in the UK after I almost lost my husband in a motorbike accident. I suffered from panic attacks to the point where I wasn't even able to collect my own children from school. Thankfully I made it through those tough times and managed to stop using AD's a couple of years before our move.

I still worry about possibly having to seek help again. Moving has been really tough. I still worry when I think about the lack of support I still have over here - even though I have made some really good friends. I do find strength in knowing that my new friends do not know about my past, and it makes me feel like I can be whomever I want to be - I am not labelled as the mum who couldn't leave her car at school pick-up time etc. I have learnt a lot of coping skills, and I do often fall back on them from time to time.

It is a really good poll, Moo - and although I have not felt the need to seek help, so far, it is not something that I would not consider, if I needed to.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 8:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

What happens when you guys take the pills, what does it do? Or is it like you need a pill for the sake of a pill. Just wondering not finger pointing. Like smoking maybe, one drug cures all.

Two weeks in the Caribean was enough to get me through the winter blues. But mostly im too busy to find the time to get depressed.

I've been lucky enough to never have suffered from depression, but I do know that it's a medical condition and not 'the winter blues'. As for being 'too busy to find the time to get depressed', I'm slightly gobsmacked at your lack of understanding tbh.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

I've been lucky enough to never have suffered from depression, but I do know that it's a medical condition and not 'the winter blues'.
Exactly, not a moving to Canada problem per say.

As i said

Old Mar 4th 2012, 8:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, not a moving to Canada problem per say.

As i said

Yes, but it's often triggered by stress or major life events - and I'd say emigrating comes under both of those.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.