Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Taking anti depressants since moving to Canada

View Poll Results: Have you been prescribed anti depressants since emmigrating?
Yes, and I would never have back in the UK
16.39%
No but am / have seriously considered it
9.84%
No not at all
73.77%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Taking anti depressants since moving to Canada

Old Mar 5th 2012, 7:46 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking anti depressants since moving to Canada

Originally Posted by Boy d
I suspect you are very right. Cursory search of the tinternet suggests national average is around 10 percent and the Canadian immigrant population around 5.6 percent. Both considerably lower than this non-scientific poll suggests

Of interest, the UK pegs the number at 20 percent of Britons suffering the blues, although I suspect its more to do with increased likelihood of seeking medical care; thus, more reported incidents, rather than higher incidents of depression.

It's a serious medical issue and as many as two thirds of us will suffer prolonged bouts of depression at some time in our lives.
Well hot dam I thought BE polls were totally scientific (must brush up on my research and reliable sources).

I do appreciate that the results may be somewhat tainted because I suppose a lot of poeple on here may have found the forum because they are unhappy / needing some Brit company and therefore following a quick google search will stumble on us humble lot.

But however tainted the results I hope they show some potential movers that an immigration is not something to be taken lightly and some problems can't be solved by singing "I'm a lumberjack look at my big 'ouse".
Old Mar 5th 2012, 7:59 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I was considering adding other categories however I just wanted to know (bearing in mind the title) what had happened since moving to Canada, although absolutely you can add and share experiences if you feel the need to which I thank the people that have done so, because it really is a big stigma that some don't understand.

I'm in the club of people that seriously considered it and it may surprise you to learn that it was at the time that I moved in with my now hubby.

For me the big change was being surrounded by friends / a good job in Drumheller and then going on to being totally isolated in the sticks.

I didn't know his family too well at this point and really did feel totally alone, he was away working I was stuck on my Jack, and you feel like a total outsider - you can't share experiences with your new friends cos they don't have them. He'd come home and I'd be just like Miss Clinique described - either ecstatically happy, sobbing like a girl or grouchier than f**k.

It wasn't until I totally broke down in front of my sis in laws mum, that she took me under her wing and I started visiting her when husb was away she became like the mum I don't have anymore - and for that I thank her very much.

You slowly integrate into the Canadian rural way of life (you don't cry or complain you pull up your boot straps and get the hell on with it) and thats a tough lesson to learn when you are used to tons of support back in the UK.

It's made me stronger today and I'm glad I didn't resort to meds to mask the real problems.

So on that basis I don't feel as though I suffered from full on depression bbut the symptoms of not wanting to get out of bed, can't be bothered, etc were becoming all to real and frequent.

Cowgirl up
Old Mar 5th 2012, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Well I was prescribed antidepressants for a while over here (I was also on them for a while in the UK as a result of post-natal depression). But I don't think emigrating had anything to do with being depressed - for me it was a result of a back injury.

Being in constant pain does that to you tbh, especially when painkillers were only providing temporary relief from it.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 3:37 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I used St Johns Wort when in my last job. Didn't really help. What did help was being let go and finding another job. It wasn't Canada per se but the job I had in Canada.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 5:35 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

In the past 7 months I have lost a close family member, reluctantly separated from my husband, fought tooth and nail to get a mortgage, bought a house, been laid off from my job and my EI runs out in 3 weeks. I've applied for 89 jobs in the past 12 weeks to no avail. It's been pretty stressful!

I have had 'bad' days and 'bad' weeks but thankfully have not felt the need for medical intervention. I am lucky to have quite an optimistic personality and try to abide by the sayings "don't let the bas**rds grind you down" and "onwards and upwards". Things will turn out ok in then end

My (separated) Canadian husband has not fared too well. He lost the same close family member, very reluctantly separated from me, became extremely depressed and had to take 6 weeks off work, went back to work and then due to his disabling depression made some irrational behavioral decisions and was dismissed. He has had no income for 3 months and is at risk of losing his house. He is fighting the dismissal but is still severely depressed (7 months on), is on medication and in counselling.

He, unfortunately, tends to have a somewhat pessimistic personality.

I think that is the crux of depression.

Some people are able to shake things off and get on with life even when they are feeling 'down'. They tend to be somewhat more optimistic in their outlook. Other's are not and become severely depressed and need medication and possibly counselling.

It's an illness.. in fact, in Canada, depression is now classed as a mental illness (transient) and as such is accepted as a disability.

It's a terrible thing to suffer, and a terrible burden on families of suffers' too.

I hope all who are suffering depression do not suffer in silence. There is help available.

Edit:
Try this stress test. My result was 434 - I think I might be stressed! http://www.stress-management.net/stress-test.htm

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 7th 2012 at 5:59 am.
Old Mar 10th 2012, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

leith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond repute

While I was having lunch with half a dozen women, they were ALL talking about which antidepressants they were on. When it came to my turn, I had to admit I wasn't taken any at all and never had. There was a horrible silence. I realised too late that I was a) not in style b)failing to support the Canadian medical system and c) probably some kind of freak. I immediately became very depressed.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 12:30 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

I have taken my self off my happy pills, I have decided to fight this by my self, the side effects aren't worth it.

I am also going home today for 2 weeks, so will be a very happy nanny.