Surname is destiny

Old Mar 24th 2014, 3:38 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surname is destiny

Funny thing about surnames.

I got bored on Saturday morning (the missus was still in bed and it was snowing). I decided to find out where the people with my surname are in Canada. Some people on here know what my surname is, so keep yer gobs shut because I'd be bloody easy to find.

My surname, while nothing exotic, is not that common in Canada. There are about 550 entries in the phonebook. It did not surprise me to discover that about 40% of them are in Ontario. It did equally not really surprise me that NF comes in at number two. I have known for a long time that people with my name, from the south of England, emigrated there yonks ago. What did surprise me is that NF came out ahead of BC and AB, which have much larger populations. The NF tally was as big as all the remaining provinces combined.

What really blew mind was discovering that Corner Brook NF (population 27,000) has more entries for "me" than any other community in Canada, at 18. Toronto trails, at 15, followed by St John's with 13 and Winnipeg, with 11.

Corner Brook has more of me than the province of QC, not to mention NS, NB or PE.

If I ever go to Corner Brook, I should probably be nice to everyone I meet. Once you factor in marriage, kids etc, I'm probably related to most of the population.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 3:47 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Funny thing about surnames.

I got bored on Saturday morning (the missus was still in bed and it was snowing). I decided to find out where the people with my surname are in Canada. Some people on here know what my surname is, so keep yer gobs shut because I'd be bloody easy to find.

My surname, while nothing exotic, is not that common in Canada. There are about 550 entries in the phonebook. It did not surprise me to discover that about 40% of them are in Ontario. It did equally not really surprise me that NF comes in at number two. I have known for a long time that people with my name, from the south of England, emigrated there yonks ago. What did surprise me is that NF came out ahead of BC and AB, which have much larger populations. The NF tally was as big as all the remaining provinces combined.

What really blew mind was discovering that Corner Brook NF (population 27,000) has more entries for "me" than any other community in Canada, at 18. Toronto trails, at 15, followed by St John's with 13 and Winnipeg, with 11.

Corner Brook has more of me than the province of QC, not to mention NS, NB or PE.

If I ever go to Corner Brook, I should probably be nice to everyone I meet. Once you factor in marriage, kids etc, I'm probably related to most of the population.
"L'ard tunderin' jaysus 'by' are there really that many Steven's in Newfoundland?

(& were you really that bored on a Saturday morning?)

EDIT: I'm clearly more exclusive than you. A quick search only turns up 27 entries for my surname in the whole of Canada!

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Mar 24th 2014 at 3:49 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 4:00 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
"L'ard tunderin' jaysus 'by' are there really that many Steven's in Newfoundland?

EDIT: I'm clearly more exclusive than you. A quick search only turns up 27 entries for my surname in the whole of Canada!
Yes, I was really that bored.

The missus was slutting in bed, it was snowing like a barsteward outside and I have no DIY projects to do. I was killing time.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 4:13 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I was really that bored.

The missus was slutting in bed, it was snowing like a barsteward outside and I have no DIY projects to do. I was killing time.
I have young kids. They kill all the time I could possibly have spare for me.

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Mar 24th 2014 at 5:56 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat

Too many of my last name to count, need to consult census records and see if they have an actual number...lol... Apparently mine is 2nd most popular in Canada.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 5:32 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I think 4 out of 5 people I meet from Cornerbrook are named Parsons.