Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Car bomb drinks / donuts

Car bomb drinks / donuts

Old Mar 17th 2014, 8:03 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car bomb drinks / donuts

Is it just me that finds the naming of cocktails / donuts after car bombs totally reprehensible?

Seems to be a growing thing this year.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 9:48 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car bomb drinks / donuts

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Is it just me that finds the naming of cocktails / donuts after car bombs totally reprehensible?

Any examples? It certainly sounds reprehensible.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 12:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be asking a co-worker about that one; I know we sell a lot of shooters over the bar but there's no list. Mr Google says the parfait thing has been around for 10 years but I never heard about it until now. The first popular shooter drink here was the B-52 (martial). The shot of whiskey dropped in a beer, or depth charge, (also martial) was more often called a boilermaker here. Buffalo Bill's favourite drink was a shot of rye in a mug of cider, (Stone Fence). I tried it and it's terrible.
Yes, calling a drink a car bomb is offensive, considering that dozens of people are killed by them nearly every day. young people can be totally tactless.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 12:54 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Yep totally...

Question is...would I not drink one out of protest? I don't naturally gravitate towards cocktails anyway, I'm more of a cider or wine girl..
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:29 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I remember drinks where a shot glass of something was dropped in a pint glass and that was called a 'depth charge'.

Don't recall anyone get upset about that.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:32 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I think it should be almost mandatory for young people to be offensive.

Stephen Fry's words on the matter:

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

To the OP: No offence intended.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:42 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I think it should be almost mandatory for young people to be offensive.

Stephen Fry's words on the matter:

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

To the OP: No offence intended.
I agree with Stephen Fry, but disagree with you. Young people should be polite! They have no reason to be bitter and offensive, they have been looked after by parents, teachers and other older adults, and have their whole life ahead of them.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 1:55 pm
Lowering the tone

Originally Posted by Shard
I agree with Stephen Fry, but disagree with you. Young people should be polite! They have no reason to be bitter and offensive, they have been looked after by parents, teachers and other older adults, and have their whole life ahead of them.
Nonsense. If you encourage docility in young people, you end up with... well, Canada.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 3:02 pm
Yo

Nonsense. If you encourage docility in young people, you end up with... well, Canada.
What does politeness have to do with docility? Kids will get up to their antics wherever they are, but there is no reason for them to be offensive and vulgar.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 3:29 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Jimg I agree that young people can be offensive

There was a donut shop called Glazed and infused selling the CB donuts, they seem to have pulled them today !
Old Mar 17th 2014, 3:30 pm
half a century

With regard the depth charge I suppose it's because it's not "glamorisong"
A group and It's available all year,
Old Mar 17th 2014, 4:06 pm
Lowering the tone

Originally Posted by Shard
What does politeness have to do with docility? Kids will get up to their antics wherever they are, but there is no reason for them to be offensive and vulgar.
Of course there is, it stops adults from getting complacent and reminds them that the world doesn't revolve around them and their sense of what's right or wrong.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 4:22 pm
Yo

Of course there is, it stops adults from getting complacent and reminds them that the world doesn't revolve around them and their sense of what's right or wrong.
Ok, fair comment, though personally I remain in the "kids should avoid being offensive" camp. Plenty of time when they get older, IMO. At which point Stephen Fry's rule kicks in.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

There is a drink called an Irish Car Bomb. But it is not new this year, it has been around for ages.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 4:40 pm
half a century

Originally Posted by colchar
There is a drink called an Irish Car Bomb. But it is not new this year, it has been around for ages.
Yes, but seems to be more popular / prevalent this year .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.