Sun protection

Old Jun 24th 2017, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sun protection

OH has skin cancers on the tips of both ears and side of his cheeks (where sideburns might grow) ............ comes as a result of driving cars first in England and Europe and then in North America, Australia, NZ, etc, without wearing a proper hat or sun cream.

He's fortunate that all seem to be basal or squamous skin cancers, but he has to pay regular visits to the dermatologist.

No-one ever seems to think of the sun coming in through the car window

Incidentally, he is dark haired, doesn't usually burn ..... but still got caught in those areas.

I now have him "trained" ........... along with the lectures from the dermatologist.

He has some 60spf cream that he applies to his face and back of his hands, as well as to his arms if wearing a short sleeved shirt. Wears an Aussie (Akubra) hat when he goes out walking, even if it will only be 10 minutes or so on the campus. Never wears shorts.

He had a Tilley hat that he liked, but now prefers the Akubra

Unfortunately, he still can't wear a hat when he's driving ............... so he has to make sure that he puts cream around his ears and temples.

Last edited by scilly; Jun 24th 2017 at 3:36 am.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 12:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
...Wears an Aussie (Akubra) hat when he goes out walking...He had a Tilley hat that he liked, but now prefers the Akubra
I had to look that up.

Does he wrestle crocodiles in his spare time?

Old Jun 24th 2017, 5:03 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

The Akubra is quite nice but has restricted rear seat legroom, probably only suitable for kids
Old Jun 24th 2017, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

We always use the Riemann p20 spf50 suncream and its brilliant. You only need to apply it once per day and I've used it on scuba diving holidays and whilst working in the middle east.

My husband was converted to it a few years ago whilst helping a friend who was short staffed for a big tarmac/road building contract for a few days, I gather he converted everyone else whilst working there too.

Its not cheap ($37.58 per bottle on Amazon), but works out very good value for money as a little goes a very long way. One bottle usually lasts my husband, toddler and I for more than a two week sun and sea holiday.

You put it on, leave it to dry for about ten minutes and then away you go. It lasts through sweating, water, humidity and just about everything else. Its non greasy and it doesn't really feel like you're wearing suncream at all.

Might be worth a try, but beyond that I don't have any many tips which don't involve things like a sprig of mint in drinking water.