Sun protection

Old Jun 23rd 2017, 6:34 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sun protection

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I am doing very well. It's just past lunchtime on a Friday and I will be able to head home soon.

How is life in Okanaganshire?
Hot...hence me stalling going outside to face the sun...some day off
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 6:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

concrete and some asphalt on some areas. Only viable shade option is under the wing or inside the bin but obviously cant spend an entire flight hiding under the wing on in the bin.

Dont think there is any law here that requires and employer to cover ppe.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Bloody hell! Your job involves working outdoors every day, on what I'm guessing is concrete (which hugely intensifies the sun's damaging effect) - and your company expects you to provide your own PPE?
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 6:57 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
So I wear sunscreen at work, and reapply often.

I also wear a hat and sunglasses and try and wear my uniform jacket for as much of the day as possible.

Any other suggestions for not burning?

I find that even with precautions I am still burning and this morning woke up to crisp ears.

I totally forgot about my ears when putting on sun screen.

I am using a zinc based 50spf currently.

I am also thinking about getting one of those hats that have the cloth on the back that covers the neck.

I also try to stay under the wing of the aircraft when not busy or try and get into the belly to unload and load to stay out of the sun.

Trying to maximize sun protection and not burn.

I think you are doing all the right things. Have you watched this video of the different type of skin types under UV? God help you if you are a Ginger

Gets really interesting at 1m45s

Old Jun 23rd 2017, 7:08 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
concrete and some asphalt on some areas. Only viable shade option is under the wing or inside the bin but obviously cant spend an entire flight hiding under the wing on in the bin.

Dont think there is any law here that requires and employer to cover ppe.
I couldn't help laughing at the thought of you hiding in a bin , but I really am quite amazed at the lack of OHAS legislation requiring employers of outside workers to provide PPE, as Canada seems a really progressive country.

My views on the absolute necessity for sun protection are no doubt coloured by being an Aussie, we have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world and I don't know many over the age of 50 who hasn't had skin cancers removed - usually from their faces. Most were the less invasive type, but I lost one friend who had melanoma.

Good on you for looking for ways to protect yourself. Skin cancer is no joke.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 7:13 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I think you are doing all the right things. Have you watched this video of the different type of skin types under UV? God help you if you are a Ginger
You're not wrong. I had new neighbours years ago, they'd just arrived from the UK. They were off to the beach and I gave them 'the talk' about protecting themselves from the sun. The dad and both kids were ginger toms. 'We'll be right!' he said, and off the poor sods went.

Next day I was driving them to emergency, both kids red raw and covered in blisters. 2nd degree burns
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 7:40 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Some brands of sun cream are more effective than others. Get the highest SPF that you can, maybe try a different brand. There was some research into this maybe you can find it online
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 8:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit surprised that your HR dept. isn't right onto this...
I'm quite tempted to say "that's North America for you."

...and your company expects you to provide your own PPE?
That's North America for you.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 8:16 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Lots of people's occupations have them working outside all day. They cope. You are not the only one and, once again, it appears that you are focusing on issues that are perfectly within your control to control.
I am outside all day, in my car, best sun protection IMO. Can also run AC but not all the time

When out n about I use 30 screen and wear a hat
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 8:18 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I am outside all day, in my car, best sun protection IMO. Can also run AC but not all the time

And a jaunty young bird sat on your side window shading you from the side
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 8:48 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

BC Legislation, heat exposure https://www.worksafebc.com/en/law-po...ionNumber:7.37 and https://www.worksafebc.com/en/law-po...45FAAAD7139927

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 23rd 2017 at 8:56 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 9:20 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Halo Solar Skull Cap Sweatband | Sun Protection Hats for Men & Women

Get one of these
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Red hair and freckles unfortunately for me. Sun is my enemy. I never really burned in San Diego but here in BC, I burn more easily it seems.

Originally Posted by Danny B

Gets really interesting at 1m45s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9BqrSAHbTc
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 10:15 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Pith helmet; you have the stature to carry it. We all need a long-sleeved shirt as well, on some days.
Attached Thumbnails Sun protection-pith_helmet-400x400.jpg  
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 10:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Get one of these
That so made me think of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi

My immune system is suppressed. As a result I'm very aware of the risks associated with sun exposure. When outside I use sunscreen and wear long sleeves and a wide brimmed hat. Notwithsranding I contracted skin cancer in my left ear from exposure to the sun while driving. Because it was inside the ear it's removal and grafting involved a 3 hour operation. The aftermath proved worse than the condition.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.